The Interior "Snap, Crackle, Pop" Thread

I've noticed a lot of us are having interior noise issues. Thought I might try to compile a list of what I've experienced with my truck & what I've seen on here.
If you acknowledge or add to this list, PLEASE include your truck's make, model, cab type, and build date (or purchase date if you don't know build). People can't see your signatures on some mobile devices. Thanks.

GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab built 6/2014
My truck's noises:
1) Driver's seat squeak/burp/fart sound - Cause: the left side of seat's leather rubbing against plastic trim. Status: not resolved.
2) Driver's seat popping noise - Cause: unknown. It happens when I lift/lower my weight off/on seat. Status: not resolved.
3) Rattling noise coming from panel below steering wheel, in front of driver's knees - Cause: Metal backing vibrating against plastic panel. Status: DIY fix. Removed panel and slid a piece of cardboard b/w panel & it's attached metal backing to prevent vibration.
4) Rattling noise from behind center stack. Cause: Plastic panel over windshield dash vents hitting against underlying supports, especially near the light sensor. Originally I thought the sound was coming from behind the radio/climate controls but the way the windshield reflects the sound tricks your ears. Status: not resolved. Will likely attempt another DIY fix b/c dealership takes way too long.
5) Squeak/rattle from rear seats - Cause: debatable. Sounds like it's coming from seat hinge mechanism or possibly hanger behind seats. Definitely my most annoying noise to date! Status: not resolved. I've attempted several times to locate & correct but no luck. Debating if I'm going to go further & remove seats or just let dealer handle this one.

Other noises I've read about but thankfully have not experienced myself:
6) Noise from rear cab.. exhaust - Cause: Exhaust heat shield tapping against underside of cab. Fix: bend metal away from cab
7) Noise from rear cab.. window - Cause: Rear sliding window. Fix: add weatherstripping. (hopefully someone else will elaborate on this one)

Thanks

Edited by MotoMedic
Added Topic Tags

moto, on point #2 above, if you reach down to the front of your seat you will feel where the seat cover "stretches" over the frame. On mine the "bead" that holds the cover on wasn't fully seated. I just pressed this up and seat is quiet now. Hope this helps

As for #7, I had a rear window noise that turned out to be the rear window moving with relation to the rubber window seal/gasket that seals air/water out. If I held the window with my hand it would stop. I went ahead and got some silicone grease and put a VERY light layer on the rubber gasketing that is against the window all the way around, You need to open the window to reach most of it. A very very light layer should do the trick and should prevent the noise I was getting, which sounded surprisingly like a rattle.

moto, on point #2 above, if you reach down to the front of your seat you will feel where the seat cover "stretches" over the frame. On mine the "bead" that holds the cover on wasn't fully seated. I just pressed this up and seat is quiet now. Hope this helps

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a try.

New popping from the center storage compartment door. Goes away when I put my arm on the passenger side of the armrest.. Haven't taken a look at the cause yet. Compartment is empty though.

• Like 1

When did the rattles start? I have been driving my new truck for a week now and want to make sure I am not missing any rattles or anything but so far nothing. Did they pop up later for you guys? 1000ish miles right now and not one problem.

What drives me crazy about that sound is that it sounds like a stone hit my windshield which made me paranoid about it. And then it really happened, after one week of owning the truck a stone chipped my windshield :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk