The Interior "Snap, Crackle, Pop" Thread

I had the same problem. Another cheap design by GM that causes this. The center console lid has only two soft stoppers in the corners. Weight on the lid easily compresses them allowing the plastic on the underside of the lid to rub on the trim it touches. I solved it with some small stick on felt to do the job the rubber stoppers should be doing.

Ill give tht a shot thx

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I found a major rattle vibration!!! So the trim plastic cover over the side (#1 in the photo) I reached over and pressed that down a little harder and instantly the rattle was gone on mine. I added some double sided foam tape to settle it down and so far so good. I need to get some felt tape to quiet the sunglasses holder next but can't find that tape anywhere. images.jpg

I have 2016 SLT AT.

1) I have this same squeak from the trim piece in the drivers side door.

I kept hear I come and go and couldnt figure it out for the longest time until realized that I was resting my left knee on that exact piece while driving. Now I can easily press on it and it squeaks. That plastic piece rubs against the plastic piece for the window up and down controls. I'd like to remove it and place felt behind it to keep it from flexing.

Does it come off easy?

2) I have a ridiculous metal vibration coming from the steering column everytime the gear selector moves back or forward. The harder I release it the louder the sound, but it does to some degree regardless of how hard or soft I pull or release the shifter.

Is this the steering column rattle everyone is referring to? Do I just remove the steering column cover?

3) I also have popping plastic piece between the radio knobs. This one irks me because you can press on any of the platinum around the knows and see how loose that trims piece is. This was the same on everyone I drove. It'll pop sometime when I touch it, but I notice more on cold days as the truck warms up. It will randomly pop every 10-15 mins.

Any fix for this yet?

4) There's a metal vibration coming from the B pillar where the drivers side seat belt comes out of. This only happens when it's very cold. It will be hard to duplicate at the dealer since the truck will be warm by the time I get there. It's usually gone after 15 min of driving. But it directly next to my left ear.

5) Lastly, there's a random rattle that sounds like it's coming from the passenger side C pillar where the seat belt comes out of. I could be wrong. It could be the trim piece on the top corner of the passenger side rear door. The black piece closest to the c pillar. This is the hardest to find because its tiedoors to road conditions. Haven't really confirmed the type of road causing it. But once a do, I'll have someone drive while I sit back there.

I have noticed that the C pillar trim on this corner is shifted. There's actually a gap between the top of the trim piece and the head liner. Every otyer pillar piece on the truck is tight and show no gap between the the headliner and pillar except this one. I'm going to have the dealer replace it.

Funny thing is, I just went to the DC auto show and looked at every single Sierra and Silverado 5-6 total and they all had the c pillar trim unaligned like this on one side or the other. That's quality control for you. When your 62k Auto Show Denali has trim pieces loose, imagine the QC in my truck.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I'm attributing many thing to the cold. It's what I get for buying a truck in the winter.

I'd like to fix 1 and 2 since it's directly related to the driver and I'll keep placing my knee in that spot. The steering column just sounds like the shifter hits a metal plate of sorts.

Any help would be appreciated guys since I can do most of this on my own and be more meticulous than the dealer.

What drives me crazy about that sound is that it sounds like a stone hit my windshield which made me paranoid about it. And then it really happened, after one week of owning the truck a stone chipped my windshield :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha i thought that i was the only one this happened to

• 1 month later...

I have the rock hitting windshield sound now and then too! Can't tell ya how many times I just sat and stared at the windshield looking for a chip! Thought I was losing my mind in the beginning. lol

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Weather was good today so I tackled this annoying noise. Was easier to solve than I expected. All you need is a trim removal tool, a bit driver and torx bits, and some clear tape (if you solve it my way).

First, the LCD and center controls come out as one piece. To remove, follow the excellent video at

Once you've done that, put the unit LCD screen down on a towel. You'll see a ton of gold torx screws on the back.

You will need to remove them all to get the back cover off.

With the cover out of the way, you'll see a ribbon cable running from the LCD to the control area making the noise. Remove on the LCD side. Lift the little tab up and pop ribbon cable out.

At this point, the LCD screen simply lifts out. Do that and put it somewhere safe.

You will also see six more gold torx screws holding the radio control board in place.

Remove those.

Now the radio controls will easily fall out, and you can see what is causing the problem. There's three plastic pieces at play here; the big black face piece, then a small silver trim piece, and then finally the radio control piece.

All three of these pieces just rub on each other with no real locking support to each other. And there's little plastic standoffs built into some of the pieces where they really rub. Bad design in my opinion.

What I did to fix this was to apply PTFE sticky tape I keep on hand on the edges where the three pieces meet. Hard to see in pictures though as its clear.

The tape is uber slick, so any movement is now tape-on-tape and not plastic-on-plastic.The tape also caused them to tighten up against each other, so there is less wiggling if you press on the pieces.

So far, no more popping when driving around.

Hope this helps others!

I was wiping the dash off this weekend and noticed my radio trim makes quite a bit of noise. I came in and searched for radio trim and found this post. I will be tackling this soon. Thanks for doing such a detailed thread. Hopefully this will kill some more noise in my truck.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is a 2015 Silverado Z71

I get a pop under my feet in the floor board when taking a fairly hard right hand turn and the road banking changes.

Has anyone with a 2014 and up model experienced this?

I believe it's coming from the Cab mount located directly below but from what I have found online the cab mount issue doesn't seem to be prevalent on the current Gen trucks.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

i know this thread is for newer trucks but this noise i have in my 13 model and it's driving me insane, I have removed the door panel twice and looked and banged and grabbed everything in the door, it sounds like glass hitting metal. I can recreate the sound if i take out the weather stripping and lower the window and bang the window on the metal frame of the door. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arLSWRk18_o

• 1 month later...

Driver door rattles going over even the slightest road imperfections. It appears to be coming from the trim near the lock and above the window. I've had that section of trim replaced but I'm still having an issue. Does any one know how to make the door close just a little tighter or adjust the alignment of the door?

• 1 year later...

Just had my 18 Silverado in to the dealership for 3 days while they took apart the entire center stack and dash and found that my noises were a mix of the hood release cable and some lose screws or bolts.  I had to stick around a half hour while picking it up since they didnt actually get all the trim back together correctly when putting it back together so that was a but of a concern, but it is way less squeak and rattle on my way home so far.

I also had the B pillar tick others have reported but it's too cold for that to happen right now so they just sprayed some expanding from in there based on research I did so hopefully that wont come back next spring when it warms up again.

I also get a squeak when its wet and I open my door which I have sprayed with wd40 and they also sprayed with whatever they use and it's still happening, so not sure if it's worth trying to even take back over that since its obviously just something with a door hinge when its wet.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone come up with a solution for the squeaking coming from the plastic window trim and the weatherstripping.  If i push against my drivers side window when its closed it goes away, or open the window slightly.  From what i can see its that plastic trim vibrating/rubbing.  

What did everyone do to fully fix it?  

Thanks,