Recirculate cabin air

First off, I have not read this entire thread. But I think I read somewhere that the door is designed to not fully close and it is to remain slightly open intentionally from the factory. I am not certain what their reason is for doing this, but... because I am a commercial/ industrial HVAC & Refrigeration technician by trade for many years, the first reason that comes to my mind is, it is left slightly open intentionally because of a possible buildup of Co2 in the cabin. Co2 buildup can make you sleepy and that's not good if your driving a automobile. Most commercial Rooftop units, and room ventilators have a minimum of 10% fresh air that's always entering the airstream because of this. No matter the season of the year. This is especially true for offices and student classrooms , and those types of environments can be bringing in up to 15-25% fresh air into the main air stream at all times.

First off, I have not read this entire thread. But I think I read somewhere that the door is designed to not fully close and it is to remain slightly open intentionally from the factory. I am not certain what their reason is for doing this, but... because I am a commercial/ industrial HVAC & Refrigeration technician by trade for many years, the first reason that comes to my mind is, it is left slightly open intentionally because of a possible buildup of Co2 in the cabin. Co2 buildup can make you sleepy and that's not good if your driving a automobile. Most commercial Rooftop units, and room ventilators have a minimum of 10% fresh air that's always entering the airstream because of this. No matter the season of the year. This is especially true for offices and student classrooms , and those types of environments can be bringing in up to 15-25% fresh air into the main air stream at all times.

Bingo!

They build in a safety margin to allow enough air in to the cabin to protect occupants from build up of harmful gases.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/17/2017 at 4:58 PM, 66deadhead said:

You should have read the thread. 

Recirc door closes 90% instead of 100% because of excess dust intrusion from a negative pressure inside the cabin. Has absolutely nothing to do with starving the driver of air. It used to close at 100% and then the BCM programming was changed in 2014 after people complained too much of excessive dust intruding into the cab. 

My 2018 2500HD LTZ does this behavior... It is nothing other than POOR ENGINEERING on GM's part. I'm not even going to bother continue trying to prove this point because I think it's been proven. No other cars being sold today have recirc. functions so poor that it does nothing to block odors like these K2 trucks. 

Otherwise loving the truck... But **** this is annoying with how many people smoke in my city while driving with their windows open... (Even now in the dead of winter) Don't know why any Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus, Kia, or Hyundai don't have this problem, but these K2 trucks do... Poor software engineering? If there's ANY concern of suffocation, then why can't the door close 100% for the first like 10 minutes after the button is pressed, and then open up to 90% after a certain duration. Not often I'm behind the same smelly vehicle for more than 5 minutes anyway. No one is expecting a Tesla-like 'Biohazard Mode' here... Just don't want to smell the smelly diesel or the smoker in front...

Edited by AKNick
  • Thanks 2

Same exact problem with a brand new 2018 Silverado 2500 LT.

I thought the recirc was broken.  I got behind a garbage truck spewing diesel fumes.  I saw it 1/4 mile away and popped on recirc.  As I got closer the fumes kept increasing.  It was so bad my eyes and throat were burning.  I couldn't exactly roll down the window for fresh air.

Just today I saw a restaurant's septic being pumped.  Put on the recirc and sure enough when I parked I still got some of the odor into the cabin.  That is what prompted me to find this conversation.  I guess I won't pursue it with the dealer as no one has made any headway.

This is my first GM vehicle in 30 years.  I love my truck except for this.  If other truck makers can eliminate outside outdoors without killing their truck owners, why can't GM? 

• 1 month later...

WHAT THE HECK MAN?!?!  I've got a 2018 Sierra 1500 crew cab short box Z71 SLT Premium Plus and the smell that this truck lets in is UNBELIEVABLE!  I've got tears running down my face as I'm typing this from the fumes and ITS ON RECIRCULATE!  Smh....  I've never experienced this with a vehicle, ever!  It's sad that I'm considering trading this thing for another brand if the service department gives me the runaround.  THIS IS CRAZY!!!

WHAT THE HECK MAN?!?!  I've got a 2018 Sierra 1500 crew cab short box Z71 SLT Premium Plus and the smell that this truck lets in is UNBELIEVABLE!  I've got tears running down my face as I'm typing this from the fumes and ITS ON RECIRCULATE!  Smh....  I've never experienced this with a vehicle, ever!  It's sad that I'm considering trading this thing for another brand if the service department gives me the runaround.  THIS IS CRAZY!!!
Adding a carbon filter helped my suburban. Gotta buy a new.l one every 6 months though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I bought a 2018 Sierra recently (February) and was so excited as I FINALLY got to buy my truck.  I have been wanting a truck for years, and I finally got it!  Then reality set in.  This issue is absolutely reeking havoc on me.  I have severe allergies, and I am constantly having headaches and issues due to the stupid Recirc door not closing all the way.  GM explained this is a feature and I explained that at 47 years of age they are full of it.  This isn't a feature, it is a hindrance.  Now I have a vehicle that I honestly am considering not driving.  I can't trade it because of the rebates that are currently in place.  I am having constant headaches, from the smell of diesel fuel, the pollen here, the smell of smoke from smokers, the smell of the sewage treatment plant near us that I never knew was even there till I bought the truck, and the lovely smell of skunks and roadkill.  Yeah, I get it it is a truck, not a clean room.  I have never had this issue with ANY vehicle that I have ever owned.  Ever.  NEVER.  There has got to be some way to fix this.  I got the new air filter discussed in the thread and it helps a bit, but not with the allergies.  The worse part is that GM obviously doesn't care in any way shape or form.

Of course they don't care.  You're just 1 person out of millions who drive GM trucks.  They can't cater to each and every individual.  It sucks that you have the health problems, hell most of us have some sort of health issue, but we can't all get a "that's not fair" solution to everything ya know.  I hope you can find a resolution to this issue, short of having to go to another make.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/29/2016 at 1:24 PM, jlilnc14 said:

My honda did not let in smell or anything when in recirculation mode. My new 2016 Silverado lets in outside smell when in recirculation mode. It is not a safety issue when other vehicles are able to prevent outside smells from coming in. I might have to trade in my brand new truck if they can't fix this. I'm suppose to "deal" with breathing in exhaust fumes"? that's f***ked up for a $50k truck!

Same here... dealership says recirculate is a 60/40 blend with outside air! Completely unsafe imo

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado, and after taking my truck in for service when it was under the bumper to bumper warranty I basically got the run around answer to my recirculation complaint, and they explained that the system was not air tight, well! I called bullshit on that one and I can prove it, so I have found the answer to most of your complaints, I removed my lower glove box and removed my cabin filter and looked at the recirculation door while I pressed on the recirculation button and guess what? The door does not move and is stuck in the open position which explains why our cars smell all the outside fumes, I checked the recirculation door actuator as well, it moves freely when I removed it from the door, the only possible issue now is it’s a software issue, I really do hate the Chevy service departments and corporate as well, they represent what a shitty company General Motors has become, by the way... I am a service technician and I work for Land Rover and we don’t treat our customers like this 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gkondylas said:

Hello everyone, I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado, and after taking my truck in for service when it was under the bumper to bumper warranty I basically got the run around answer to my recirculation complaint, and they explained that the system was not air tight, well! I called bullshit on that one and I can prove it, so I have found the answer to most of your complaints, I removed my lower glove box and removed my cabin filter and looked at the recirculation door while I pressed on the recirculation button and guess what? The door does not move and is stuck in the open position which explains why our cars smell all the outside fumes, I checked the recirculation door actuator as well, it moves freely when I removed it from the door, the only possible issue now is it’s a software issue, I really do hate the Chevy service departments and corporate as well, they represent what a shitty company General Motors has become, by the way... I am a service technician and I work for Land Rover and we don’t treat our customers like this 

Welcome to the site. How do you like the truck otherwise?