LED Fog Bulbs & Lights

OUSux

**If you're interested in changing stock cargo or reverse bulbs to LEDs, go here: http://www.gm-trucks...1-reverse-leds/

**If you're interested in adding separate LED reverse lights (on or under rear bumper), go here: http://www.gm-trucks...2014-silverado/

**If you want to change your stock fogs to LEDs, this is the right place.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took some measurements on Sierra...

• Stock fog housing is 4" diameter
  • Black plastic opening is 4.25" diameter
  • Black plastic portion facing forward, perpendicular to the ground is 4.75-4.25" x 4.5" (width varies b/c it's not a perfect rectangle)

I've used V-LEDs, best light output for direct replacement LED bulbs.

Pricey, but 850LM isn't very easy to find in a LED 5202/H16 bulb.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/5202-9009-h16/5202-6k-10-xb.html

Sierra V-LED 5000K LED fog lights w/5000K HID Headlight Kit

2F673FC0-5846-426F-B944-4A594EDF79FA.jpg

I used the rigids as reverse lights on my 2011 F150. They are BRIGHT as hell. I sold them a few months ago before I got my 2014. Dangit!

I think I had the hybrid flood light version of these tho because the beam was pretty focused. Got the job done, but I think they offer a flood light version of them as well that spreads the light for more coverage and would be better for fog lights.

Just jumped on the Rigid website:

They have two kinds of these lights. The OG Duallys, and a newer D2.

The D2's have the following "spreads", with bright white, yellow, red, blue and green color LED lights available. Looks like they also have a standard surface bracket mounted light and a flush mount light.

-Driving

-Wide

-Diffused

-Hyperspot

Link Here:

http://powersports.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family%3A5&f[1]=field_product_family%3A50&f[2]=field_optics%3A102

The Duallys have the followings "spreads", with bright white, yellow, red, blue and green LED lights available. Looks like they also have a standard surface bracket mounted and flush mount light.

-Hybrid Spot

-Hybrid Flood

-Hybrid Diffused

Link Here:

http://powersports.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family%3A5&f[1]=field_product_family%3A51&f[2]=field_optics%3A103

Not sure what the "hybrid" means on the Duallys. The D2's have the driving light spread which might be good for fogs depending on how you aim them. But according to the images below the D2's have more output and a further range.

d2-beam-pattern-M.jpg

dually-beam-pattern-M.jpg

I saw the rigid industries fog light mount, but I do not see how you could aim them as they appear fixed. I bought the driving light pattern and my goal is better lighting for night driving (seeing deer in the country). It will be several days before I get the parts in and time.

6K WHITE 10 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS 5201 5202 9009 2504 PSX24W | 1 PAIR

Are those just plug and play with our existing/factory fog lights?

Yes sir, simple PNP. Silverado took me literally 5 minutes and Sierra was about 15 minutes. From past experience, I would recommend using some rubber butyl tape or silicone around the fog lamp bulbs to avoid moisture/condensation. These bulb/housing combinations are VERY prone to moisture when using aftermarket bulbs.

One more question, are these lights too bright to use on the street?

Also can you give some details on the install for the GMC

No LED replacement bulbs will give enough light output to be sufficient driving lights.

Cosmetics vs. Functionality = LED

Light out & Functionality = HID

HID kit is only 2 more steps to install than LED bulbs. Bulbs fit the same, just plug the stock wiring harness into the ballast instead of the bulb & mount the ballasts somewhere.

Sorry; I read your post wrong. No, LED's will not be blinding or deemed "illegal"

HID's however may blind other drivers.

Anyone think these would work in our fog light location?

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/?filter=LED#product=500027

Electrically, any light should work.

As for fitment, the stock Sierra fog openings are 4.25" so any light with a larger diameter will require cutting or removing plastic. Also, it's likely that all aftermarket will require some form of custom mount/bracket.

If the above is beyond your skill level, unfortunately you'll have to wait until the aftermarket comes out with a Sierra-specific kit -or- a member figures it out & posts a How-To.

I saw the rigid industries fog light mount, but I do not see how you could aim them as they appear fixed. I bought the driving light pattern and my goal is better lighting for night driving (seeing deer in the country). It will be several days before I get the parts in and time.

THe bracket mounted ones allow you to tilt up and down and turn right and left before you tighten everything up.

I was tired of having the yellow fog lights with the new white LED lights around the headlights and with running HIDs. I didn't like the way they have a round fog light inside a square housing. I've always loved Rigid Industries lights but got tired of waiting for them to release there fog light mounts for the 21014 Sierra. So I took a set of the D2 driving lights and made my own mount. I'm just waiting now to get the brackets powder coated. These lights are brighter then my HID head lights. You would only be able to use them for off road use only because they are so bright. But look awesome.

Fog lights

Archived