Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Can anyone tell me which bulbs to buy to just get more light in a GMC SLT? I had GE nighthawks in my old truck and apparently got spoiled because these lights are very dim in comparison. After reading through all the threads I don't know if a 9006 or a 9012 bulb is the answer. Can I just go get some Nighthawks and drop them in? Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm interested as well. I can tell you that you have to modify the 9006. I bought the Sylvania mentioned above and the tabs are just a little off. I got the H11 for the fogs but haven't had time to try them.

Anybody else get any bulbs to fit?

Thanks for all the answers. But the question remains -9006 or 9012 and what has to be done (if anything) for them to work?

lmao, that's what I'm saying! Is there a 100% direct swap for the headlight and/or fog light? I know the 9006 is not a direct swap without modding it.

Thanks. Does anyone know what bulb is currently in this truck to compare lumens or whatever brightness standard they use before plunking down money on a new bulb?

It appears that 9012s are HIRs and 9006 are standard bulbs. Is it possible that 9006s could be brighter with the right bulb? Or would a better 9012 be the way to go. The only 9012 I can find that looks like a possible improvement is a phillips but it is pretty expensive

Thanks

Thanks. Does anyone know what bulb is currently in this truck to compare lumens or whatever brightness standard they use before plunking down money on a new bulb?

It appears that 9012s are HIRs and 9006 are standard bulbs. Is it possible that 9006s could be brighter with the right bulb? Or would a better 9012 be the way to go. The only 9012 I can find that looks like a possible improvement is a phillips but it is pretty expensive

Thanks

One other question: I read that only hi beams work on this truck and that low beams are controller by a shutter. This is evident by the distinct line drawn where the low beams end. But this line is so close to the vehicle that traveling down unlit roads at night is kinda scary on low beams. Is there any way to adjust the height of this shutter to shoot the low beams a little further?

The kits nowadays are plug and play for almost any factory bulb type. The only thing you need is some double sided tape to mount the slim ballasts. Most of the issues with aftermarket HID has been with crummy light dispersion when plugged into a non-projector housing. Fortunately the Sierra comes with projectors stock!