Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Honestly, they're all about 99% identical. You can make your own with a few parts from Autozone & Radioshack or just order them complete off Amazon / eBay. The DIY capacitor instructions and the wiring diagrams for installing everything are in the pinned HID topic.

If you're determined to have the 'best possible' relay harness & capacitors, probably Morimoto would be the only guys I could say have a better quality rep than the others... but they'll cost you $60 + S&H!

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/harnesses/morimoto-9006-low-beam-relay-wire-harness.html#.U0FwAflr7ZF

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/harnesses/morimoto-standalone-canbus-wire-harness-48642.html#.U0Fv-vlr7ZF

I'm not real savvy with these so are you saying i would need both components or which one should I try first?

Here's what I'm thinking on my Sierra, Putco 9012 in mirror white (4000k) and then Putco Optic 360 LED's (6000k) for the fogs. Will I need a resistor for the LED'S and will the 6000k make the other lights look bad? I wish they made them in 4000K also. Or where else can I get fogs in 4000K?

Here's what I'm thinking on my Sierra, Putco 9012 in mirror white (4000k) and then Putco Optic 360 LED's (6000k) for the fogs. Will I need a resistor for the LED'S and will the 6000k make the other lights look bad? I wish they made them in 4000K also. Or where else can I get fogs in 4000K?

Sounds easy plug and play, but why not just 5000k for both? Wouldn't that match the DRL lights?

I ordered this exact setup a few days ago. Should have them all by monday or tuesday.

Problem with factory LED strips is they run at two different outputs. During the day, the bottom LED strip on full power is a true white (I'd say at least 5000K). At night, both LED strips are set to dimmer outputs and so don't look near as good. Almost like a dirtier white.. their color output seems to drop to closer to 4000-4500K. To date, no one has found a way to override the stock LED strips.

The 6000K LEDs won't match the Putco headlights or stock LEDs. As far as looking bad, that's 100% subjective. How closely did you want them to match? Ultimately, you paid for the truck, so install what you think looks best.

PS: a color temp's appearance will vary slightly depending on the light source, which makes choosing bulbs that much harder. Halogen, HID, or LED listed as "5000K are not all the exact same color/hue. I know from personal experience when they're all side by side 5000K LED is almost perfect white, 5000K HID has hints of blue, and 5000K has hints of yellow.

I was unaware the DRL LED's "dim" at night...

Technically, LEDs always strobe/pulse on & off, but the freq is so high that to human eyes they appear constantly on. To "dim" LEDs, you just decrease the freq.. the still seem like they're constantly on, just light output decreases.

I'm not sure if that's exactly how GMC does it, b/c we can't see / deteine the exact wiring of stock LEDs yet. Have someone (you trust) sit in your truck during the day, apply parking brake, start truck, then shift into Drive. While looking at the LED strips, tell him to turn I the headlights & prepare to be disappointed! ha

Hmm...kind of makes me wonder what K measurement of headlight bulbs and fogs now to get to match the LED/DRL's as best as possible in all conditions....

4300-4500K

Since you shouldn't have the fogs on during the day, you only have to worry about matching the stock LEDs at night.

My 9011 Philips bulbs came by UPS tonight. 10 mins of fussing around and I got one fit up. As mentioned in the "bulb sizes" thread, the 9011 has two issues for fitment. The first one I tackled was the socket where it has 2 ribs inside and the 9012 has a single centered rib. I used a sharp narrow wood chisel, just lightly clamped the outside of the socket in a vice with the larger step catching the top of the vice jaws (pics coming later). A few light taps on the chisel with a very small hammer and the rib was history. Next was the outside tabs. One tab is larger on the 9011 than the 9012. A simple small side cutter and it was nipped off. Cleaned it up with alcohol and installed one side.

Once it gets totally dark around here, I'll go out tonight and try to see if there's enough difference to do this mod. The information I have is that the stock 9012 bulb is 1875 lumens and the 9011 is 2300 lumens. I don't much care about what color the light is, just that I can see well. I had H9 bulbs in place of H11 bulbs in my 08. Nice upgrade without much fuss.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

I installed the Putco Optic 360's today. They look great! The picture doesn't even show how good they really look. I'm going to attempt to upload a picture with this message, but if it doesn't work I'll have to do it later.

image.jpg

And here you can kinda see how much better they look than the factory lights in the headlights. But the picture doesn't really capture the true beauty of the LED's.

8A77EF0B-9486-48AB-B133-B75F9BF74509.jpg