Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Been running around with both changed to the putco tonight, dont really think visability is any worse and the white light makes it seem brighter althoughh it surely isnt. Distance wise to my eyes its wash or slightly less but I like the white vs yellow so they are staying, If I notice any real loss of output in the coming week will repost as I work second drive at night every day.

Any progress Moto?

Not really. I was never able to find anything near suitable after the Speaker 90mm light fell through. The whole project has since taken a back seat to my newer additions: LED front light bar (still in progress), reverse LED pods, LED fogs, illuminated switches, relays, wiring, etc....

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the Putco bulbs.. tried them out last night. Not very impressed... about the same as stock.. maybe even a hair worse. The color is great and matches the LED DRL nice. But I want to keep looking for some different bulbs. I still don't want to do the HID route. Too many reliability issues with HID from what I have been reading. People getting stranded because their HID crapped out... I can't have that.

What other bulbs may be better than stock? What other manufacturers make these bulbs? I know the 9012 is going to be limited and I shouldn't expect HID amount of light. But I have to think someone out there has something better ?? I wish Sylvania would come out with something..

Finally decided to adjust my lights after my lift install, Now that I have them back down on the road where they belong the PUTCO's while not noticably brighter than the stock are no worse either in my opinion. The whiter light is more pleasing to my eyes and looks better than the yellow and now that I have the adjustment better, (actually made the change from low to high more pronounced) they are acceptable untill I see the bugs worked out with HID or something better come to market.

Not to piss in anyone's cereal, but it's very unlikely you'll find a 'brighter' 9012 bulb (b/c the bulb's increased light output over 9006 bulbs is a result of the HIR technology).

Any 'whiter' 9012 bulbs are made by applying coatings to the bulb's glass, so they'll be the same brightness or less.

so this would be a waste of time ? http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

This 55-watt bulb is US DOT compliant, with a nominal output of 1875 lumens at 13.2 volts. ECE type approval (E-code mark) pending

Yes, they're identical to stock 9012 bulbs. That site hasn't been updated on awhile.. those "new" third gen Philips 9012's came out 3 or 4 years ago.

I emailed Sylvania about that very topic last week. The reply is as follows:

"Here at Sylvania, at this time we have no intention on making the 9012 bulb in anything but the stock option. If a decision is made later to add the X-vision or Ultra we will let you know."

Which to my response is, that sucks.

Last night I was puling my 18' trailer home with a load of firewood home in the rain and fog. Not a comfortable ride because of the conditions, as the lights just didn't brighten up the road the way I would think a NEW truck should. I am definitely looking for something better than what GM put in.

Does anyone have anymore ideas about how to make these headlights better? I did the Putco bulbs... still trying to find something better. Can't do the HID thing.. too many issues I'm reading. I would rather have these bad headlights than be stranded because of an HID issue.

Help.. this is only thing bothering me about the truck.

• Like 2

Yeh! I hate my headlights also. In my opinion, cheap non self leveling projector headlights don't belong on a pickup truck. Have them adjusted for normal weight distribution and then put 500 lbs in the box. If you thought they were marginal before, now they point straight to the sky. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that GM couldn't see this coming. I think this is a huge safety issue. Give me back my 2008 Sierra headlights and then I will love my truck!