Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

you have that right, been traveling with a screwdriver to adjust my lights on the way home for the past week, Finally hae them where I like them for just me in the truck bed empty, had occasion to haul some salt in bags home 500 lbs or less, right up in the trees again, non-self leveling projectors are way to directional for a truck.

If the 2015s come out with the same system I'll be shocked. Not many 2014s out in my area yet, but I've talked to a few that can't believe how the headlights suck. One of the biggest boners GM ever made!

There has to be something "plug and play" coming out soon? Or some kind of HID set up that is as reliable as stock ? I would just do the HID... but I can't risk having my headlight "flicker" or go dead. I was scared reading that long thread about the HID conversion. The light output is great.. but not worth it if it leaves you stranded, etc

You can't risk it with headlights... if they go out at night, you are toast.

There has to be something "plug and play" coming out soon? Or some kind of HID set up that is as reliable as stock ? I would just do the HID... but I can't risk having my headlight "flicker" or go dead. I was scared reading that long thread about the HID conversion. The light output is great.. but not worth it if it leaves you stranded, etc

You can't risk it with headlights... if they go out at night, you are toast.

Keep the original bulbs in your truck. If the HID messes up, unplug it the HID bulb and swap in the original one and you are on your way. I also carried spare bulbs before going HID, for the times when bulbs would go out while traveling.

I do agree with keeping a screw driver to adjust the headlights - they do need to be changed with load changes.

• Like 1

Does anyone have anymore ideas about how to make these headlights better? I did the Putco bulbs... still trying to find something better. Can't do the HID thing.. too many issues I'm reading. I would rather have these bad headlights than be stranded because of an HID issue.

Help.. this is only thing bothering me about the truck.

I adjusted each headlight adjustment screw 1 turn counter-clockwise which raises the light beam.

I am happy to say that it made a huge difference. The high beam was better as well.

I will probably try 1/2 turn more and leave it.

Edited by 02SierraZ71
  • Like 1

I adjusted each headlight adjustment screw 1 turn counter-clockwise which raises the light beam.

I am happy to say that it made a huge difference. The high beam was better as well.

I will probably try 1/2 turn more and leave it.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm going to try this, until there is a more plug and play way of doing it. I'm not as skilled or knowledgeable at modding my new truck as some guys on here.

Edited by VMaxtastic

Yeh! I hate my headlights also. In my opinion, cheap non self leveling projector headlights don't belong on a pickup truck. Have them adjusted for normal weight distribution and then put 500 lbs in the box. If you thought they were marginal before, now they point straight to the sky. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that GM couldn't see this coming. I think this is a huge safety issue. Give me back my 2008 Sierra headlights and then I will love my truck!

Trade your 14 for an 08 then.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

if 9012 is the size then how did the speed shop put 9005's putco lights in my 2014 sierra how they didn't have to modify my harness to in stall them....think im going back and order 9012 if you say they have better lumens...........feel like i lost light with these

how do you get to passenger head light to change out

Edited by wildturkey

if 9012 is the size then how did the speed shop put 9005's putco lights in my 2014 sierra how they didn't have to modify my harness to in stall them....think im going back and order 9012 if you say they have better lumens...........feel like i lost light with these

how do you get to passenger head light to change out

9005, 9006, 9011, & 9012 are almost identical with respect to the plastic base/socket. Very slight trimming of outer tabs and/or socket ribs allows the bulbs to be 100% interchangeable.

You have to remove the air box to access the rear of passenger headlight.

Edited by MotoMedic

9005, 9006, 9011, & 9012 are almost identical with respect to the plastic base/socket. Very slight trimming of outer tabs and/or socket ribs allows the bulbs to be 100% interchangeable.

You have to remove the air box.

Is removing the air box easy.....but do you think 9012 will be brighter than 9005 from your chart you displayed

Yeh! I hate my headlights also. In my opinion, cheap non self leveling projector headlights don't belong on a pickup truck. Have them adjusted for normal weight distribution and then put 500 lbs in the box. If you thought they were marginal before, now they point straight to the sky. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that GM couldn't see this coming. I think this is a huge safety issue. Give me back my 2008 Sierra headlights and then I will love my truck!

10-4.....gm missed the bus on this one.