Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Hey everyone - I hope this isn't a stupid question. I have a 2017 Sierra SLT with HID. Can upgrade to a brighter bulb? I can't justify paying $1300 for LED lights to swap out.

Thanks

Short answer is, yes. Most reliable LED kits seem to be BPS G7 or XenonDepot. Look through this thread, there's a ton of info on it. That being said - most of us who have upgraded to LED bulbs still think a Morimoto or DDM HID kit would be better. Just a little more work than I was willing to do this time around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So, I know I have seen this information somewhere before, but I cannot find it now that I am ready to use it. I am installing the XenonDepot LED Extreme Pro kit this weekend, and want to utilize the grommet they provide so that I don't have to try and stuff everything behind the dust cover. I was wondering if anyone could provide what size bit they used to make the hole for the grommet? 

On 10/28/2017 at 10:52 AM, FootballCoach53 said:

I heard the G7 kit fits in the dust cover. I’m still doing my research on everything.

I was able to fit the entire G7 kit inside the housing including the canbus error correctors

20 hours ago, clayp said:

I was able to fit the entire G7 kit inside the housing including the canbus error correctors

How's the output?  I need something brighter than stock.  I have projectors, so I'm hoping that I can get a good output, and not blind people on the road.  I do a good amount of city and country driving.  I'm also looking for fogs that won't blind someone, as well.

2 hours ago, FootballCoach53 said:

How's the output?  I need something brighter than stock.  I have projectors, so I'm hoping that I can get a good output, and not blind people on the road.  I do a good amount of city and country driving.  I'm also looking for fogs that won't blind someone, as well.

I live in an urban area so its hard to be 100% objective. I would say it seems definitely brighter than stock but I cannot say how far the throw is. I also did the fogs on with high beams mod so my Rigid fogs blast the darkness when I turn on the highs and unshield the LED headlight projectors.

2 minutes ago, clayp said:

I live in an urban area so its hard to be 100% objective. I would say it seems definitely brighter than stock but I cannot say how far the throw is. I also did the fogs on with high beams mod so my Rigid fogs blast the darkness when I turn on the highs and unshield the LED headlight projectors.

I appreciate that, man.  I'll probably go with the G7s.  And I'm going to do the Bambi Mod, as well.  I tried but messed up my diode pretty bad.  Need some new ones before I start the project.

10 minutes ago, FootballCoach53 said:

I appreciate that, man.  I'll probably go with the G7s.  And I'm going to do the Bambi Mod, as well.  I tried but messed up my diode pretty bad.  Need some new ones before I start the project.

when I ordered on Amazon there were two choices, one specifically for the Sierra 9012 and the 9012. The Sierra kit cost $20 more and included error correctors. I ordered the regular unit and it shipped with the error correctors anyway just FYI

Just my 2 cents on how bright these various shoehorned lights (LED, HID, Halogen) are.  I’ve done the retrofit brighter halogen, HID and now 2017 OEM LED assemblies to my 2014 SLT Sierra.  My take is: if it isn’t clearly obvious you can see much, much better, further, wider, it isn’t worth the cost and time.   For example, I installed 9011 HIR halogen bulbs that were rated at 2350 lumens in my OEM Sierra projectors which originally came with 9012 1870 lumen bulbs.  That’s 25% brighter.  I could hardly tell. But when I installed 3500 lumen HID bulbs/kit, (almost twice the OEM bulb rating) it was very apparent I could see further down the road, not just more light on the road directly in front of the bumper.  I believe only very large increases in light ratings are meaningful. 

• Like 1