Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Can someone post the link to the VLED headlights for the non projector silverados? Do they work good, are they better than stock? And is it really plug in play or is there resistors that have to be installed?

I think this is what your looking for...

http://gtlightingusa.com/html/products/?products-show-165.html

I have a set here and I have one in and like the whiter light but can't seem to get the dust cover back on... On one web site I see they recommend NOT installing the dust caps... For me they are a gotta have.

This is the link for the VLEDS

http://www.vleds.com/h11-5k-mtg2.html

I have them. I bought the 5000k headlights and fog lights. I got them on sale on a Holiday I believe, they were 25% off. So for the price of the headlights I got the fogs too. I believe they are better then stock but that's my opinion. They seem to work better in areas without artificial light. I live in an area where there are street lights in almost every utility pole near NY city.

Edited by Fyreman97

Ordered mine today. Should be here in 3 days. Going into stock projector headlights. Since these are going to be my Low Beam/DRL's, I hope I won't have any issues

Sent from the future using a Fax

Is everyone ordering the Resistors or using resisters with these Vled kits? I didn't order the resisters and now I'm thinking I should have.

Just got off the phone with Jake from VLED's. Very cool guy. For sure knows what hes talking about. I ended up cancelling the LED kit I had ordered yesterday and went with their H11 HID 5k 300lm kit. http://www.vleds.com/hid-headlights/hid-conversion-kits/h11/h11-morimoto-xb35-hid-system.html

Very knowledgable and I didn't feel like I was being sold a lone of crap. Will Post pictures hopefully by the end of the week with the new lights in.

Installed the kit about 2 weeks ago and there have been issues. Firstly (and not a big deal) but the capacitor in the Morimoto harness needed to be flipped to stop the buzzing relay. Then 2 days later I blew a fuse. Then last night I started the truck and the fuse went again, I replaced the fuse and it blew again. I drove home with my led fog lamps... Not very happy but more than anything not very confident with the HID and ballast option the aftermarket setup offers. About an hour ago purchased LED bulbs from VLED which claim to be good for projectors:

http://www.vleds.com/9006-vx3.html

They will be here this week. 3000lm rating...

Will post some pictures

Unfortunately the 9006 3000LM LED bulbs were not what I expected/hoped for and I will be returning them (VLED customer service was excellent). Contrary to the earlier post by Moto, I found the amount of raw light output to be a good bit less than stock at any distance more than 10 feet. Basically the use of the LED bulb and the projector gave a sort of "washed out" effect. Notice how even at about 20' the LED bulb's pattern is creeping down and getting larger, where the Halogen bulb is keeping the shape properly.

I am going to go back to the HID setup for one last chance as I really do not see any other options which address both color as well as light output.

post-134784-0-05485400-1415823684_thumb.jpg

post-134784-0-13760800-1415823687_thumb.jpg

post-134784-0-38433200-1415823690_thumb.jpg

How does the pattern for the high beam compare? My biggest gripe with the stock setup is that the "hotspot" for the high beam is really tall and narrow (doesn't light up the sides of the road in the distance at all).

How does the pattern for the high beam compare? My biggest gripe with the stock setup is that the "hotspot" for the high beam is really tall and narrow (doesn't light up the sides of the road in the distance at all).

The low beam is about half of the overall beam. The shutter chops off the top.

The idea in a projector is to do exactly what you are not liking (concentrate light in front of the vehicle) so as to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. You would be amazed how much improvement you will get by simply bringing up the angle of the light a touch off the road and in front of the vehicle. Be careful as even with the stock bulbs people will get annoyed. Ideally as a driver I would want the light to be basically straight out of the bulb, however to appease the fellow drivers maybe a 20% down angle is best (the patch of light on the road extends maybe 100-150 feet)

• 3 weeks later...

what do you guys think of these? says they are good for use in projectors. you can control the position of the light source and adjust the mount itself.(depth and angle)

http://www.vleds.com/headlights/lmz-ho-17.html

I have ordered them but are backorder. I spoke with VLEDS and they said I would be very happy with these. Ordered a set for the High beams and another for the Fogs to match the headlights I ordered 2 weeks ago.

what do you guys think of these? says they are good for use in projectors. you can control the position of the light source and adjust the mount itself.(depth and angle)

http://www.vleds.com/headlights/lmz-ho-17.html

When I first went to the link and they said $80, I thought, "damn, i'm definitely getting these". Then I put together the order and it went up to $200 and I thought, "damn, I might get these some day". Not that $200 is to much, just I have other things I want more. $80 would of been awesome.

I have ordered them but are backorder. I spoke with VLEDS and they said I would be very happy with these. Ordered a set for the High beams and another for the Fogs to match the headlights I ordered 2 weeks ago.

I'd really like to know how you like these when you get them installed. Did VLED's recommend these over their HID kits? Nice truck by the way!

Edited by Coach Hill

I'd really like to know how you like these when you get them installed. Did VLED's recommend these over their HID kits? Nice truck by the way!

Thanks, and yes they recommended them. No "warm up time" to worry about, and super bright according to them. They are on back order till the 17th however. I'll post pictures and my impressions when done. On a side note, this past weekend the family and I jumped into the truck to go see Holiday lights we heard about. Driving in the middle of no where, my wife looked at me and said, " for such a badass truck, your lights suck"! I just smiled, said your right honey and knew the replacements were ordered already. :D

• Like 3