Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

For you Chevy guys, the 55w H11 factory bulb can be replaced with a 65w H9 for a good jump in output. But the life will be halved. H9 bulbs are $14 OTC at Autozone or O'reilley. A tab needs to be ground (metal) and a jumper for the plug is available on Amazon or at Bulbzilla. I think modifying the bulb socket may allow direct fit to the harness. I ran them in my 2008 for 5 years. My brother has the truck and still uses them.

I just did the h9 substitute on my Silverado last weekend. Definitely brighter. Also, I changed out my fogs to hyper yellow h16s. Now I can actually tell when the fogs are on.

I've got about 6 months on subbing my 921 reverse bulbs with 894 fog light bulbs. No electrical issues or melted plastic.

Best part about all of these mods is they retain a nice stock white color. I cannot stand the bluer LEDs everyone else seems to gravitate towards these days.

If you have the LT headlights and don't want to drop an arm and three legs trying to swap to ltz projectors and figure out the whole hid nightmare, I cannot recommend these bulb swaps enough. They are worth the effort...

I just did the h9 substitute on my Silverado last weekend. Definitely brighter. Also, I changed out my fogs to hyper yellow h16s. Now I can actually tell when the fogs are on.

I've got about 6 months on subbing my 921 reverse bulbs with 894 fog light bulbs. No electrical issues or melted plastic.

Best part about all of these mods is they retain a nice stock white color. I cannot stand the bluer LEDs everyone else seems to gravitate towards these days.

If you have the LT headlights and don't want to drop an arm and three legs trying to swap to ltz projectors and figure out the whole hid nightmare, I cannot recommend these bulb swaps enough. They are worth the effort...

I also did the H9 tonight and nice improvement. I also did the HIR1 in the high beams while I was at it.

Spectaculous- When you modified the H9 did you cut any of the metal tab? I removed the extra plastic on the connector but then test fit the bulb. The bulb fits and turns to position without trimming any of the metal tab. I wiggled it a little and some pressure and it turned right into place. I have the projector lights.

I also did the H9 tonight and nice improvement. I also did the HIR1 in the high beams while I was at it.

Spectaculous- When you modified the H9 did you cut any of the metal tab? I removed the extra plastic on the connector but then test fit the bulb. The bulb fits and turns to position without trimming any of the metal tab. I wiggled it a little and some pressure and it turned right into place. I have the projector lights.

Yeah, I used a pair of pruning shears to trim the tab. I tried to make it work without trimming, but the h9s were not fitting...

I have the non projectors. And my connectors face straight down after I trimmed the tabs...

Great thanks! I was surprised they fit without trimming. It appears the projectors allow them to. Makes this mod even easier. For those who do this don't over think removing the plastic tab on the connector. 2 minutes with a razor and it shaves right off.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw someone with door handles (on what looked like a 2012) that looked like they had at least 3 LED light on each one. Looked pretty sharp when locking and unlocking the truck. Anyone know if these are made for 2014 Silverado yet and where to get 'em?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have pics of the VLED's Lmz 6000k on a 2014 silverado LT regular lense, I ordered me some and was wanting to see or here some tips on the adjustments for it, I seen the post for adjusting the projector lenses but haven't seen any feedback for the regular lense yet.

Just picked up a set of the anzo u bar headlights for my 2015 chevy, I'm wanting to switch to leds. Do I still use the stock bulb sizes when switching or do I need to use different size?

• 1 month later...

New here but been following for a little. Got an All Terrain about a month ago and like every one think the headlights suck. I came from multiple Acuras that had HID. Before going that route on a brand new truck I am going to try the Putco nitro blue route. I just ordered headlights and fog lights. So well see how they look and will try and post some pictures when I put them in!

Those putco's will suck, I tried them and they were horrid. If you want the fogs to have any amount of usable light you have to stay with the stock bulb, anything else moves the point of light further out in front of the reflector and diminishes the light output.

If anything I would make sure your truck has the newest BCM update and the VOLSA stock bulbs, those are the brightest option out now other than HID.