Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

I've been really interested in changing my headlights to LED's (preferably projector LED's)!

I've found what I hope to be a plausible solution: JW Speaker 90mm LED Hi/Lo Projectors (http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/model-90-90mm-led-headlights).

The actual lights will cost around $500 plus any R&D costs/expenditures.

633.jpg

I've seen on eBay a few vendors selling used/damaged 2014 Sierra headlight housings for around $300.

My plan:

1) Buy a functioning headlight unit, cut it open, explore fitment possibilities, and then document/publish all my findings on here.

2) Determine the interior wiring diagram, in order to modify the LED strips so both stay on at full power when driving, day or night.

Edited by MotoMedic
  • Like 1

For $25.00 might be worth a shot.

If you do, please change only one bulb, then take pics (ex: from 30' in front of truck, from driver's seat, light cast on a white wall, etc) so we can all get an idea of their performance/color. Thanks

I've been really interested in changing my headlights to LED's (preferably projector LED's)!

I've found what I hope to be a plausible solution: JW Speaker 90mm LED Hi/Lo Projectors (http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/model-90-90mm-led-headlights).

The actual lights will cost around $500 plus any R&D costs/expenditures.

633.jpg

I've seen on eBay a few vendors selling used/damaged 2014 Sierra headlight housings for around $300.

My plan:

1) Buy a functioning headlight unit, cut it open, explore fitment possibilities, and then document/publish all my findings on here.

2) Determine the interior wiring diagram, in order to modify the LED strips so both stay on at full power when driving, day or night.

Good News: the Model 90's are 4500K just like stock LEDs.

Bad News: they're only 300 lumen each! On JW Speaker's site they're listed as headlights, but in reality they're not meant to be the primary lighting source.

...and so, my search continues.

Edited by MotoMedic

anyone ever have any experience with these LED replacement headlight bulbs?

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headlights/led/5k-white-cxa-9006.html

After my disappointing news from JW Speaker about their 90mm headlights, I decided to order a set of the VLED 9006 LED bulbs.

The Lights - very high quality stuff. Stalks are solid aluminum and base of each has it's own mini-cooling fan. I was really impressed.

The Installation - bulb tabs didn't line up 100% with stock tab openings. To fit, you might have to mill aluminum or trim stock tab openings.

The Results - disappointing. Not with the light output level or color, but with the way the GMC projectors focus the light. Below the cut-off, the light looked good & pretty even. But above the cut-off, you get those two little triangles of light (I call them jack-o-lantern eyes) you can sometimes get if HID bulbs are in the wrong position. I tried rotating the bulb 360, but couldn't get them to go away. You can see what I'm talking about in pic below. (*If you don't have the stock projector headlights, these LED headlights will probably work great)

post-34923-0-47242400-1389583253_thumb.jpg

Edited by MotoMedic

bought putco 9012 from kb carstuff
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/9012-Putco-Halogen-Bulbs-p/239012.htm got the
4000k mirror white ones. Yes they are white vs the yellow oems but they
are not really any brighter, pics are from cell phone with putco on
drivers side. Going to change both and drive it for a while just to get a
feel for them and see if the yellow just seems brighter. cell pcs not
so hot, garage door is brown by the way.

Edited by dkeven

bought putco 9012 from kb carstuff

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/9012-Putco-Halogen-Bulbs-p/239012.htm got the

4000k mirror white ones. Yes they are white vs the yellow oems but they

are not really any brighter, pics are from cell phone with putco on

drivers side. Going to change both and drive it for a while just to get a

feel for them and see if the yellow just seems brighter. cell pcs not

so hot, garage door is brown by the way.

Putco's won't be brighter. They're intended to be a whiter color but not actually increase light output. (their marketing is careful to say improve your visibility, which is completely subjective)

I will say, even on a brown door, the color difference vs stock is very noticeable.

would you say the output is at least the same as the stock bulbs? I just want to get my headlights and fog lights changed to whiter bulbs. But don't want to lose any brightness.. and don't want to go the HID route.