Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Thanks for the info I haven't adjusted my xenon depot bulbs yet was wondering how you adjusted them mine now are 12 and 6 and the light is ok but 3 and 9 should be a lot better was just wondering! Love the lights tho 2014 GMC Sierra all terrain slt

The 3-9 positioning was recommended by the guys in this thread. XenonDepot doesn't mention it anywhere in the install instructions as I'm sure it's particular to our trucks.

As far as adjusting goes, after I installed an RC 2 inch lift, and I had lots of people flashing their high beams at me, I decided to adjust the lights lower. I setup a white board in my garage, noted on the board where the top of the head light beam hit (cutoff line), while the lights were set to low beam. Using the easy to access adjustment screws, I lowered them 1 inch. The distance between the truck and the light board was about 7 feet. I did this when the 9011 lights where installed (replaced the factory 9012 bulbs), as at the time there was no other reliable alternative for more light. The result of the adjustment was no more pissed off people and an acceptable light pattern on the road.

When I installed the first LED bulb, I checked to see the cutoff line on the white board I had used previously. It was exactly the same as it was after my initial adjustment. Replacing the other side yielded the same results. That's what I meant by checking the alignment.

I'm hoping to check the LED's tonight. Didn't get a chance last night!

Has anyone else bought LED bulbs from VLED? I ordered the high, low, and fogs. I got the dogs and the high beams to work. But couldn't for the life of me to get the low beams to work. Anyone else have this issue or could mayb direct me in the right direction.

Just installed the Xenon Depot lights a couple days ago...now my cruise control AND my remote start do not work. I'm assuming need to install resisors, just don't have a clue what to buy or what to do.

Any advice is appreciated.

The lights are OK, not overly impressed. Was able to get adjusted at the 9 & 3 as others have suggested, but not blown away by the light output, and that's with led fog lights ordered at the same time.

So I have been reading pages and pages of this thread and was wanting to switch to leds in the highs and lows. I have a 2014 chevy silverado Lt non projector headlights. Also the big rave a little while ago was vleds lmz lights but they are off the website and are replaced with the platinum series and was wondering if anyone has tried them. They look good and are also cheaper per pair. Let me know what I can do and how hard it would be. Hopefully if I get these new lights I can report back and provide some helpful insight

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Alright good to know. I think they are better than stock for sure, however my highbeams don't seem to really add much for distance and just a hair more spread. These lights are rated at 2400-2500 Lumens according to xenon depot's site.

I recently found a more local (2 hours away) private dealer that sells 9012 led headlights as well, only those are rated at 3200 lumens and are the ones with a fan (still skeptical about fans). He offered to let me try them at no charge so I thought why not. Should have them tomorrow.

Here's them attached. The diodes also look larger (assuming those yellow bubbles are them) as well compared to XD's as well, which are smaller and square shaped.

post-79641-0-51286400-1441123372_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan18

Wow! I'm going blind reading all of this information and I think it's too much for me :) 2015 Duramax 3500 SRW Crew 4x4 WT model so no fog lights. I don't have the problems I read about as my low beams stay on when I hit the highbeams so all four headlights are on.

But in this case it's made meaningless, because I swear these are the dimmest lights I've ever had in my life. Downright dangerous in my opinion. I can't see anything. I added two off-road LED lights at 10,000 lumens on my front winch mount and my goodness they are five times brighter than my headlights. So I got to looking into upgrades... Wish I hadn't :)

After wading thru days of research I decided to do a simple bulb upgrade. H11 low beam and 9005 high beam. I installed two of the most recommend bulb placements out there. Two of the Phillips Crystal vision on the left and two Sylvania silver star ultras on the right. I have to say they still all sucked. Maybe those two LED off-road lights upfront have completely spoiled me now I cannot say.

From what I have gathered and read over the last few days at multiple sites heres what I have concluded and hopefully y'all can tell me if I'm right or wrong. Also some questions.

There are some GM computer updates out there and many have talked about bringing their trucks back to the dealer to increase voltage and also install different bulbs. My question is simply this, if it's a voltage issue then wouldn't that affect these new brighter bulbs that I just installed? Before I send these back to Amazon maybe I should wait and bring it to the dealer and see if they can indeed increase voltage to this area?

The threads I have read discussing upgrades to increase voltage were related to 2015 1500s and Sierras. Didn't specifically see anything on the 2500 or 3500s but not sure if it matters. I could just call my dealer and ask them. The problem is I haven't really read any updates on these updates as to whether or not it made a large enough difference to not justify going into an HID upgrade. They just said, the ones who did reply and they're only a couple, that it made a difference. Not sure what the difference was?

Now for the real big question. If I were to completely ignore GM and their updates and different bulbs and just do a HID conversion kit, would the voltage going to those also affect it, if indeed GM can increase it? Or does the H I D conversion kit handle it's own voltage regardless of whether or not this update can increase the voltage? I guess I wouldn't want to do a conversion kit without first bringing it to the dealer to see if they could increase the voltage but ONLY if the lack of voltage will affect the HID upgrade kit.

In other words am I better off bringing it back to the dealer before I do anything?

Now also, I have read there are computer issues for the HID kits and you still have to bring it to the dealer and get them to reflash the computer to accept this. I've been reading lots of information on HID upgrades and very seldom is that little tidbit of information mentioned. Is that because it rarely happens or because no one wants to mention that as it may scare away people?

I'm an LED fan but have talked to some reputable companies who make the HID kits and they will not make them because of safety reasons. Yet again, I see others same they have done it. I would absolutely love to just have an LED bulb that u just plug into the place and be plug-and-play. Maybe I should say a reputable LED bulb just plug-and-play. I see some $35 jobs on Amazon but can't say I would trust that in my $50,000 truck. Even these fans confuse me because don't you need fresh air to circulate? Assemblies are all closed so what good is a fan do what air are you going to circulate it with? If you circulating the internal air wouldn't just the air itself iheat up on it? Maybe this is why the companies won't make them because of liability.

It's a very confusing world out there and after reading all of the stuff I am brain-dead and not sure I have learned anything more than before I started except it's all very confusing.

Bottom line, I would love to have LED headlights equal to the color temperature of my off-road lights of around 6500 K. Knowing I probably can't have that because I am scared off by hearing that reputable manufacturers won't touch them because of safety issues LEDs that make me worry.

I guess I'm going to be stuck with the HID upgrade kit. And I don't have a clue if I have a projector headlights or not :)

But that ALSO scares me anytime I hear my computer has to be re-this or re-that to accept them. Maybe because I'm running a tuner and I don't really want the dealer knowing about my tuner until he absolutely has to.

I'm in Charleston South Carolina and if anybody knows of anybody who does this work I would love to drop this truck off on their lap because after wiring off-road lights on the front, the back and the sides and now messing around with these bulbs I'm about to throw in the hat.

In short I need help because my headlights suck even with the new bulbs.

Edited by Plumber101010