Odd MPG drop for my 5.3

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe anyone has said this yet...SLOW DOWN!

80..85 MPH? Are you serious? You expect fuel economy in a full size pickup truck, with a gas engine, at 80 - 85 MPH? Get your head examined.

Try driving at 60 - 65 MPH, that's where fuel economy is. It still blows my mind at how fast people drive on the highway and think it is acceptable. Not only is 80 - 85 MPH a complete waste of fuel, your reaction time at that speed is completely shot. You better hope you never jerk the wheel or hit a bad pothole at 85 MPH. What will you do if you blow a tire at 85 MPH? You won't do shit, because you won't have time to.

Oh, and don't question my experience on this topic, I was a long haul trucker hauling over dimensional freight throughout all of North America for 6 years. I hauled loads up to 150,000 pounds with over 1,000,000 miles of accident/ticket free experience, as an owner/operator.

Seriously people, slow down. Not only will you save fuel and wear, but you will be safer for yourself, your family in the vehicle with you, and every car that passes you that has a family in it too. Your not the only one out there, don't dare to ever take the safety of others in your hands.

There are roads here in Texas where the speed limit is 85 and people drive 90 or so. And 75 is the speed limit on most of the back roads. Drive 65 and expect to get run over. You just need to be more attentive and not do stupid stuff, which is hard for many people.

I've noticed that when it's cold out, my mileage suffers bad! I normally get gas at the same station. As temps increase, so does my mileage. Last tank I averaged 14.9, back in September I was averaging 16-17 MPG consistently, 95% city driving.

Mike

Archived