Adjusting Angle of HID Projector Headlamps

New truck and new to the forum so apologies for any faux pas. A fairly common topic i see and one i have interest in is the problem with HID projector bulbs not looking far enough down the road (ie: aimed too low). Realizing this is likely done from the factory to avoid blinding other drivers given that a truck sits higher than an oncoming honda civic, i'd still like to be able to adjust to see a little further down the road, especially coming down hills. True story, took a 14'SLT Sierra for a 10min test drive on a rural road and almost brought back a raccoon roadkill accessory b/c the lights just don't look far forward enough.

Does anyone have experience with either:

a) adjusting the angle of the lowbeam HID lamps in the headlamp assembly?

b) having your dealer adjust them to your satisfaction?

Any other suggestions for getting headlights a bit brighter or more useful would be appreciated.

New truck and new to the forum so apologies for any faux pas. A fairly common topic i see and one i have interest in is the problem with HID projector bulbs not looking far enough down the road (ie: aimed too low). Realizing this is likely done from the factory to avoid blinding other drivers given that a truck sits higher than an oncoming honda civic, i'd still like to be able to adjust to see a little further down the road, especially coming down hills. True story, took a 14'SLT Sierra for a 10min test drive on a rural road and almost brought back a raccoon roadkill accessory b/c the lights just don't look far forward enough.

Does anyone have experience with either:

a) adjusting the angle of the lowbeam HID lamps in the headlamp assembly?

b) having your dealer adjust them to your satisfaction?

Any other suggestions for getting headlights a bit brighter or more useful would be appreciated.

the 2014's do not have HID they have HIR headlights. to help increase the like out put you could get HID and there is a thread that is pinned at the top of this forum that explains everything you will need to do to complete the conversion. also there is someone that replaced the projector in the headlight that help throw light a lot further and cleaner. i would start with the HID conversion and see how you like that. if that doesnt cut it then i would recommend you replace the projector housing.

How you adjust the lights depends on if you plan on leveling your truck out.

If you are not going to level the truck out you can go 1.5 turns higher than stock and you wont blind anyone as a start. If you are leveled out then go down .5 turns as a start. That is where I have been running for a couple of weeks now with no flashes and with a friend saying they look fine. I may be able to bring them even more but I would need to play with it some one night with someone down the road from me.

even if you aim these light up they are not bright enough for people to get annoyed. I'm really beginning to think the bulb is not positioned correctly in the housing, when you look at the light coming through the front cover it has a doughnut pattern where the projectors on the CTS I used to have were much effectively brighter and the light on the front was solid circle of light. Once things get to reasonable temperatures I'd like to check the light output of these and see how they compare to FMVSS No. 108 an SAE standards

even if you aim these light up they are not bright enough for people to get annoyed. I'm really beginning to think the bulb is not positioned correctly in the housing, when you look at the light coming through the front cover it has a doughnut pattern where the projectors on the CTS I used to have were much effectively brighter and the light on the front was solid circle of light. Once things get to reasonable temperatures I'd like to check the light output of these and see how they compare to FMVSS No. 108 an SAE standards

Any idea on where i can find the angle adjustment "knob to turn" on the headlight housing? just peeking under the hood yesterday, it wasnt immediately obvious. Assuming it might be a hole with an allen wrench required? I'm not ready to start tearing headlight housings out for HID replacements yet, i'll let the conversion procedure firm up a bit over time, in the mean time a little angle up might help.

The opening is on the top of the plastic panel that sits over the headlights. It is a small round opening with an allen head adjuster recessed into the opening. It is about 3" from the fender on each side.

Anyone know if there is a horizontal adjustment? I don't see any evidence of one.

I adjusted my vertical and found it was way too high. I live in a very rural area and was able to park on a farm market road, adjusted the vertical so I could see targets several hundred feet down the road. Prior to doing this, my high-beam shot over the targets.

If I could just touch a left headlamp adjustment, I think I could light up the dark opposing lane. My lighting currently is basically for a single lane. Dealer checked on it and claimed it was within spec. I saw them work on it. But, I didn't ask about any horizontal adjustments.

I may have been mentioned before, but the "high beam" is just a shutter that exposes the entire bulb. It is not like those of past where you had a 55w low and a 65w high beam.

I am sure there is a horizontal adjustment, my guess is it is buried in the front end.

I may have been mentioned before, but the "high beam" is just a shutter that exposes the entire bulb. It is not like those of past where you had a 55w low and a 65w high beam.

I am sure there is a horizontal adjustment, my guess is it is buried in the front end.

And I got waaaay off-topic, wrong thread. My apologies. I was thinking of the factory lamps, rather than the HID modification.

So to answer my own question on vertical adjustment, it's much simpler than i thought. Phillips or flat heat screwdriver is all that's needed for adjument on white plastic screw recessed in top of headlight assembly. For reference, this is on 2014 Sierra SLT CC w/ HIR projectors/LED DL.

Another good question is about horizontal adjument. Also, anyone know if the fogs are adjustable and/or what their lumen output is from the factory?

Don't want to get dinged for laziness, but my ultimate question is more about increasing light output (lumens), legally. What is the best solution folks have found so far and if theres a thread can someone point to it (besides the HID conversion)?

....Another good question is about horizontal adjustment. Also, anyone know if the fogs are adjustable and/or what their lumen output is from the factory? Know they are H11s and probably a thread about this. ...

I have a feeling the horizontal adjustment is a bear to do. Haven't read any comments on it. If I could just go left a bit on my driver's side lamp, it might help me. I've got too much of a dark zone on the left side.

I would like to raise the fog lamps up slightly--not much, but just a bit. I really miss the lighting of my 2011 GMC.

I really hope GMC makes these lights better. My '11 is really good, low and high stock, and I am picky about lights. When I saw the new ones, they even looked like they suck. How can GMC go backwards on these?

Who else that had a '07 to '13, and now a '14 can comment about comparisons? Thanks.

....anyone know if the fogs are adjustable and/or what their lumen output is from the factory?

....if theres a thread can someone point to it (besides the HID conversion)?

500 lumens per bulb (seems like less!).

Non-HID replacements thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156233-non-hid-headlamp-upgrade-2014-sierra-sle/

I really hope GMC makes these lights better. My '11 is really good, low and high stock, and I am picky about lights. When I saw the new ones, they even looked like they suck. How can GMC go backwards on these?

Who else that had a '07 to '13, and now a '14 can comment about comparisons? Thanks.

The GM projectors are designed more for safety & marketing, than performance. The projector's light is more focused, so less blinding other drivers. Their looks and "fancy new technology" is a sales plus. If GM were going for better performance, they would have used HID and not HIR bulbs. Ultimately, they meet DOT standards and, other than we crazy enthusiasts, I'm sure most people think they're good or even great. I wouldn't expect any design changes until MAYBE the 2017 model.

I owned a GMT-900 and now a K2. What I really dislike about their projector design is the lack of a wide beam pattern. These are spotlights compared to the old trucks floodlights. Turning on dark roads, it's hard to see anything other than what's directly in front of the bumper. That's why I'm doing my various light upgrades.

• 4 months later...

I also have a 08 Silverado in addition to my 2014 Sierra. I will say that the 08 had the best headlights of any vehicle I've owned. Hands down.

Being a tinkerer, I installed a Bulbzilla low beam jumper that went from the H11 to a H9 bulb. Then you have to grind a tab off the H9. It's worth a bunch more lumens. Maybe 30-50%. Made excellent lights great. My high beams got Silver star ultras.

In all of my 140,000 miles of cross country trips on the highways and back road driving I never wanted more lighting than the setup above provided.

This 2014 has good lighting straight ahead. But the beams are like pencil beams. No or very little peripheral lighting.

I had been wanting to adjust mine to get better light, but I recently put on a rough country level (2.5 with 2 in block) now with zero adjustments they sit up nicely and the lighting is ten times better than it was pointed at the ground. I think that if I would have adjusted them before they would have been way to high and lost more light pointed up. I have only gotten flashed once so far and it was a tiny care like a geo metro. Maybe I should adjust down a little, but I have way better clarity now than when it was stock.

Archived