2014+ Power Tailgate Lock installed

I'm not sure if I just got lucky or not but the grey/green and brown/yellow wires I grabbed in the driver kick plate made mine work this way. Hit the unlock button once and it only unlocks the driver door. A second press of the unlock does the other 3 doors and the tailgate. In other words, the tailgate only unlocks with a 2nd press of the remote. I just installed it last night.

I wish I had seen this while I was installing my lock yesterday! Great write up by MotoMedic and great detective work by you. Mine is hooked up with the driver's door lock circuit but it's working fine. 30 minutes? LOL I must be getting old. By the way, while I did the install with the step plate open to the wiring harness, I couldn't get the darn latch to work correctly, swapping the bullet connector polarity didn't help either. When I unlocked it it worked fine but when I locked it - it auto unlocked right afterwards. Finally figured out I should close the driver's door, put the polarity back to normal and everything worked fine. Some safety feature to keep you from slamming the door with it locked and damaging the lock or locking yourself out I guess.

Edited by Mad Max

Does anybody know, would doing this void any warranty on the truck?

99% no. In order to void any portion of a warranty, the dealer must prove your modifications caused the specific problem/failure.

Great post Moto. I wish I would have searched the forum before attempting the install. I had tapped into the 2 wires I thought were the correct ones but turns out I guess it wasn't. I tried again yesterday with another tan/yellow but still did not work. The photo below shows 1 large tan/yellow wire and 2 smaller tan/yellow wires. From what I could tell there is only 1 solid gray wire. Any guidance would be appreciated.

post-125084-0-25091400-1398781050_thumb.jpg

Also, do I need both wires to be connected in order to test if it functions. I was only working with the tan/yellow wire and checking it against the green and blue wires from the lock.

Thanks

Thanks for this great write up Moto. I also used the larger gray/green wire and it unlocks on the second push on the remote. I have a Silverado. Finished in under an hour with snaking the wires along the existing harness all the way to the back.

Thanks Moto,

FYI to anyone interested, on the Sierra, its the fat brown with a yellow tracer and the fat grey with the green tracer. Also, locks and unlocks on one push of the remote.

I installed mine tonight and I like it for what it does but I'm not really a fan on how loud it is......you can hear it louder than all the other door locks. I am getting a rhino liner installed on Monday and I am sure that this would quiet it down.

I installed mine tonight and I like it for what it does but I'm not really a fan on how loud it is......you can hear it louder than all the other door locks. I am getting a rhino liner installed on Monday and I am sure that this would quiet it down.

The tailgate sheet metal amplifies the sound. If it really bugs you, open it back up and put dynamat on the inside of exterior panel (bed liner should help with interior panel)

The tailgate sheet metal amplifies the sound. If it really bugs you, open it back up and put dynamat on the inside of exterior panel (bed liner should help with interior panel)

Yeah thought about doing sound deadening but I will just wait til after Monday when the rhino liner is done.

Thanks Moto,

FYI to anyone interested, on the Sierra, its the fat brown with a yellow tracer and the fat grey with the green tracer. Also, locks and unlocks on one push of the remote.

Thanks ajmac,

The instructions stated solid gray, but with your info I was finally able to get the lock working! Seems like the fat grey with green stripe works on the Silverado as well.

Thanks ajmac,

The instructions stated solid gray, but with your info I was finally able to get the lock working! Seems like the fat grey with green stripe works on the Silverado as well

Took the blue wire off the gray wire and rewired the blue wire to the fat gray and green stripe wire and the tailgate unlocks on the second push of unlock on key fob.

Took the blue wire off the gray wire and rewired the blue wire to the fat gray and green stripe wire and the tailgate unlocks on the second push of unlock on key fob.

Yes that is how mine works as well. Unlock with the second push, and locks with just one push. Like others have stated, it is loud (only on lock though)

i just ordered one on amazon for 82.00 bucks cant wait i`m tired of using my key...

I ordered mine through there too, the only thing I noticed was on the warranty information that it is not covered if purchased through ebay, amazon, or other auction sites. Kind of sucks but oh well. Not sure if you care about the warranty, just FYI

I used the gray green wire also, but when I unlock my truck (one push on the Fob) it unlocks the tail gate because I have my truck set up to open all doors on the first click. Initially I wasn't sure what wire I hooked the blue to but I looked yesterday and it is the gray with green stripe. If I change the vehicle settings, then the tailgate unlocks on the second push.

Mike