2014+ Power Tailgate Lock installed

I really want to do this, but I'm nervous. This sounds slightly out of my comfort zone, although I am really handy. Is it really that easy? This forum is simply incredible. I have already done and learned a ton about my truck from you folks. Great community. I've been on a lot of forums for various topics, and this is certainly the best one I've been a member of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tailgate part is pretty easy since it is just unscrewing a bolt and replacing the lock lever.

It takes some finesse to get it to move smoothly so you may have to play with that a bit.

The running of the wire to the front requires getting under the truck and zip tying along the way.

Connecting to the correct wires, and what approach you use will depend on your experience.

I am comfortable with soldering so that was my method, but the kit comes with slide on connectors which are easier but may not be as secure.

Fondupot's video is a good resource.

Edited by crewl1
  • Like 1

The tailgate part is pretty easy since it is just unscrewing a bolt and replacing the lock lever.

It takes some finesse to get it to move smoothly so you may have to play with that a bit.

The running of the wire to the front requires getting under the truck and zip tying along the way.

Connecting to the correct wires, and what approach you use will depend on your experience.

I am comfortable with soldering so that was my method, but the kit comes with slide on connectors which are easier but may not be as secure.

Fondupot's video is a good resource.

Thanks man. I'm actually pretty good at soldering - my Mom used to repair computer boards when I was a young buck, and when she got behind at work and had to bring it home she used to let me help her. If it's just running the wires down along the bottom of the truck, that doesn't seem too bad. I'd be more nervous if I had to pull up interior pieces to route the wires - that's where I get nervous.

The mechanical install in the tailgate should be no issue for me.

I think I'm gonna take this on. I just picked up a tonneau and really want to to be able to control the lock with my fob.

Thanks man. I'm actually pretty good at soldering - my Mom used to repair computer boards when I was a young buck, and when she got behind at work and had to bring it home she used to let me help her. If it's just running the wires down along the bottom of the truck, that doesn't seem too bad. I'd be more nervous if I had to pull up interior pieces to route the wires - that's where I get nervous.

The mechanical install in the tailgate should be no issue for me.

I think I'm gonna take this on. I just picked up a tonneau and really want to to be able to control the lock with my fob.

Oh yeah you should be fine.

A tonneau was the same reason I wanted it as well.

The only piece that needs to come up is the door sill and wire cover underneath.

Take your time on each tab on the near side.

The opposite side are the same tabs but once one side is up the other side is easier as you are then just shifting the whole piece towards you.

As others recommend stagger the location of your solder joint to each wire so you don't end up bulking up that spot, the wire bundle is already jam packed as it is. (May be more of an issue for those who use the included connectors.)

Good luck!

Edited by crewl1
  • Like 1

This mod is very easy...just time consuming. Took a while to run the wire from the back to the front.

You can squeeze the wire in with the parking brake cable without having to cut the grommet on drive side where it comes through the floor.

Here are some pics of my tailgate, I had the retainer clip in backwards at first then rotated it and it works fine now. I tried to get a good photo of it.

Also, did $0.75 mod so reverse lights come on with cargo lights...all LED.

b7e5d81b2ccec397ae50a980192e255a.jpg

419839f6f07cd3e9cdcc650344d3d6fc.jpg

158375113537efb96af7f9e497995344.jpg

fde97ae9e7cebbf6f756009d357744f4.jpg

b1f4059308655879c0bc776b98aa9bbe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by rdtpp1991
  • Like 4

Just started my install today, and completed the tailgate hardware install. Easy-peasy. Waiting to run the remainder of the wiring until this weekend, as (a. I'd like to have daylight on my side, and (b. I ordered the dressier door sill plates for my truck, so they'll go on when I pop the driver's sill to wire this up.

I do have to give thanks to everyone who's created a walk-through/ video/ photos clarifying the installation...the Xeroxed b/w instructions don't have the best detail right out of the box, so these have helped considerably!

• Like 1

I've been loving mine. So nice knowing its locked when the doors are locked. No more going back to make sure I have it locked.

As I work at a college and unlocked vehicles get targeted.

Of course being in I.T helps as the new HD security camera's just happen to point right out to where I park. he he..

• Like 2

Do it. Finished it up the other day, and it's so worth the $90-100. "Hardest" part was running the wire along the truck, crawling in and out constantly. I'm not usually big on the scotchlocks, but got them to work with a firm squeeze from pliers and then wrapped in duct tape. Even managed to to get them tucked away and not prevent the covers from reinstalling properly.

When I did my alarm mod I revisited the Pop n Lock and found that the reason the mechanism can be sticky is that the replacement plate is too thick.

By shaving it down a hair (I used a Dremel with a sanding drum) it now swivels freely with the C clip attached.

This free movement is needed so you can lock and unlock with the key and return the key to the center position without disturbing white locking mechanism.

(Here is a link to my alarm modification that leverages the locking tailgate in combination with the factory alarm.

)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone order a pl8140 kit recently. I ordered the kit from amazon for my 2015 and it came without a new cam. Sent it back and received replacement today again without the cam. What gives?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I had the same problem! My lady got me one for xmas and my folks did too. I planned on returning one but when I went to install it today neither of them had the pop and lock cam! I emailed pop and lock and hope to hear back from them when they return to the office on Monday.