• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Labsrsu

Labsrsu

Enthusiast

• 12 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LT Crew Cab

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

OK so we purchased a new Silverado and went to pick it up after it was cleaned up and detailed at the dealer.

The salesman went to transfer our tags and drive it around front so he could give us a brief rundown on the features of the truck.

Well it did not start.  Salesman said it was probably the starter, since there was plenty of battery juice.

Talk about a let down.

Now we have to wait until Friday to get it.

They still need to transfer the ARE cap over and we originally had that scheduled to happen on Friday.

#2 mzodarg

mzodarg

Enthusiast

• 995 posts
  • Drives:2014 Chevy Crew cab Z71 LTZ

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Where are your located?  Others have had a issue with the exhaust valve freezing shut and their rig would not start.  Just a thought.

Mike

2014 LTZ Z71 Crewcab

truck69a345x198_zpsc06f9f54.jpg

22" GM rims, GM tri-fold bed cover, chrome honeycomb grill, AMP power steps,GM painted mud flaps, weathertech in channel vent visors, auto locking tailgate, GM under rail bed lighting. Custom 3" exhaust with Magnaflow 14" and third CAT delete, tuned by Diablew.

#3 loganb

loganb

Enthusiast

• 173 posts
  • Name:Logan
  • Drives:2014 Chevy Double Cab

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

If it cranked but wouldn't fire and it's been below 0, definitely check the exhaust valve next to the back right tire like Mike suggested, lots of reports from up north, especially Canada of valves sticking shut and preventing a truck from starting.  Couple solid taps with a mallet/hammer/hand/foot and sounds like they break loose and starts no problem. 

Edited by loganbent, 01 January 2014 - 09:30 AM.

2014 Silverado Double Cab LT, Summit White

4x4  5.3L  3.43 Gears   All Star & Convenience Packages

G4 Elite Fold-A-Cover  1.25" Rear Drop   DDM 5000k HID Kit

#4 Labsrsu

Labsrsu

Enthusiast

• 12 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LT Crew Cab

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Located in Rochester NY

Ok thanks, dealer will be looking at on Thursday when techs are back in

We were there late yesterday and most everyone went home

#5 mzodarg

mzodarg

Enthusiast

• 995 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

If it cranked but wouldn't fire and it's been below 0, definitely check the exhaust valve next to the back right tire like Mike suggested, lots of reports from up north, especially Canada of valves sticking shut and preventing a truck from starting.  Couple solid taps with a mallet/hammer/hand/foot and sounds like they break loose and starts no problem. 

Or do like I did and remove it completely.

2014 LTZ Z71 Crewcab

22" GM rims, GM tri-fold bed cover, chrome honeycomb grill, AMP power steps,GM painted mud flaps, weathertech in channel vent visors, auto locking tailgate, GM under rail bed lighting. Custom 3" exhaust with Magnaflow 14" and third CAT delete, tuned by Diablew.

#6 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,573 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

doubt it was the starter.  Tell the salesman to stay in sales and not service :)

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#7 mzodarg

mzodarg

Enthusiast

• 995 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

doubt it was the starter.  Tell the salesman to stay in sales and not service :)

Well said!!

2014 LTZ Z71 Crewcab

#8 loganb

loganb

Enthusiast

• 173 posts
  • Name:Logan
  • Drives:2014 Chevy Double Cab

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Located in Rochester NY

Ok thanks, dealer will be looking at on Thursday when techs are back in

We were there late yesterday and most everyone went home

Do you have your own keys and is the paperwork all signed so the truck is yours?  If so and the dealership isn't that far I'd be tempted to go and hit that valve a couple times and see if it starts....if so drive it home and Happy New Years!

2014 Silverado Double Cab LT, Summit White

4x4  5.3L  3.43 Gears   All Star & Convenience Packages

G4 Elite Fold-A-Cover  1.25" Rear Drop   DDM 5000k HID Kit

#9 CorvetteOJ

CorvetteOJ

GM Trucker

• 287 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra Denali 6.2L CC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Yes, I can almost guarantee you it isn't the starter.  The other guys are right about the flapper valve in the exhaust.  If it was really cold that day, that is probably the problem.  I can tell you another possibility that could possibily be the issue.  Two years ago, I bought a new 2012 Silverado Ext. Cab and drove it home late in the afternoon.  The next morning, I attempted to start the truck to go back to the dealership to finish up some loose ends.  The truck would not start.  I made phone call to the dealer, the saleman, to no avail.  I finally went in the house and got the other key and tried it.  The truck started like it was supposed to.  Long story short, the second key was never programmed to the truck properly.  When I got to the dealership, the New Car Delivery Manager (the guy who is responsible for checking you out on all the technology aspects of your new vehicle) showed me how to program the key.  They both worked like a champ after that.  Today with all the technology crap on these vehicles, you never know what little idiosyncrosy is causing your issue.  Good luck with your new vehicle, once you get it started.

OJ Webster
Montgomery, Alabama
2014 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L, Crew Cab,
Undercover painted Bed Cover, Bed Rug, Cat Back Duals w/ 22" Magnaflow, 22" SEY Wheels, Lloyd mats, XPEL Clear Bra, Painted to match fender flares, Painted to match molded GM mud flaps, red caliper covers by MGP, Vinyl wrapped to match front air dam, Tailgate light bar, 2" Rough Country Level Kit, Chrome GM Fuel Door, Chrome Tow Hooks, Chrome tail gate handle, Sport Graphic Pkg, Performance Tune by PCM of NC, Airaid CAI System, AVS Chrome Aeroskin, LED Tail lights, LED Third Brake Light, Rear bumper step pads with LEDs, Chrome Vent Visors, Billet Pedals, LED GMC light in receiver, More chrome when available,???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users