Truck Did not Start At Dealer

OK so we purchased a new Silverado and went to pick it up after it was cleaned up and detailed at the dealer.

The salesman went to transfer our tags and drive it around front so he could give us a brief rundown on the features of the truck.

Well it did not start. Salesman said it was probably the starter, since there was plenty of battery juice.

Talk about a let down.

Now we have to wait until Friday to get it.

They still need to transfer the ARE cap over and we originally had that scheduled to happen on Friday.

If it cranked but wouldn't fire and it's been below 0, definitely check the exhaust valve next to the back right tire like Mike suggested, lots of reports from up north, especially Canada of valves sticking shut and preventing a truck from starting. Couple solid taps with a mallet/hammer/hand/foot and sounds like they break loose and starts no problem.

Located in Rochester NY

Ok thanks, dealer will be looking at on Thursday when techs are back in

We were there late yesterday and most everyone went home

If it cranked but wouldn't fire and it's been below 0, definitely check the exhaust valve next to the back right tire like Mike suggested, lots of reports from up north, especially Canada of valves sticking shut and preventing a truck from starting. Couple solid taps with a mallet/hammer/hand/foot and sounds like they break loose and starts no problem.

Or do like I did and remove it completely.

Located in Rochester NY

Ok thanks, dealer will be looking at on Thursday when techs are back in

We were there late yesterday and most everyone went home

Do you have your own keys and is the paperwork all signed so the truck is yours? If so and the dealership isn't that far I'd be tempted to go and hit that valve a couple times and see if it starts....if so drive it home and Happy New Years!

Yes, I can almost guarantee you it isn't the starter. The other guys are right about the flapper valve in the exhaust. If it was really cold that day, that is probably the problem. I can tell you another possibility that could possibily be the issue. Two years ago, I bought a new 2012 Silverado Ext. Cab and drove it home late in the afternoon. The next morning, I attempted to start the truck to go back to the dealership to finish up some loose ends. The truck would not start. I made phone call to the dealer, the saleman, to no avail. I finally went in the house and got the other key and tried it. The truck started like it was supposed to. Long story short, the second key was never programmed to the truck properly. When I got to the dealership, the New Car Delivery Manager (the guy who is responsible for checking you out on all the technology aspects of your new vehicle) showed me how to program the key. They both worked like a champ after that. Today with all the technology crap on these vehicles, you never know what little idiosyncrosy is causing your issue. Good luck with your new vehicle, once you get it started.

Archived