Radio Reception Issues

When I first bought my trucks I complained about the radio's. GM dealer assured me a fix is coming. Yea,right. After complaining they gave me XM for a year. Four years later still no fix.Funny thing is one truck is a little better than the other. Mexico made?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, tnchevy said:

I guess it is safe to say that the 2017+ trucks have much better FM reception?  Mine still sucks but I haven't seen any new posts on the subject in a while.

I had a 16 Colorado. Worse radio reception in a vehicle ever.  I now have a 17 silverado 7"screen with antenna . Best radio reception in a vehicle i've ever owned. 

I have 2017 canyon, bought  the antenna that skippermat used but it didn't fix issue. Still no FM. However I noticed yesterday  that FM works great when it's cold outside. But once the cab gets warm FM fades and quits working. Same thing happened again today. I am taking it in Friday afternoon to have dealership look at it. I've only had truck one week. Let you know what happens. 

If the radio reception is coming and going with changes in temp then that usually means you have a bad connection some where between the antenna and the radio.  The temps change and the barely there connection is lost.

That's what I think too. I called today to check on the status and was told that they checked connections and everything was good. But they are aware of others having similar issues and need to update the software but won't be able to until Monday. I don't think that will fix it but I will update forum hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Thanks 

Well I was given misinformation. They actully needed to speak to GM engineering about issue. The paper work they gave me stated that they replaced the antenna. Removing rear seats and headliner to do so. Picked up truck after work on Wednesday night, FM working great. Halfway home I tried XM .... got message "check antenna ". Took truck back first thing this morning. We'll see what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: finally got my truck back yesterday. All radio functions work great. Paper work says "replaced failed antenna. Code B125C (04) was current in radio. Tested circuits and found radio antenna base internal circuit was open causing code to set. Replaced radio antenna base. Cleared code and re-tested vehicle. Reception is clear and no codes returned. "

They also updated the software or something because the display between the tach and speedo is setup a little different than before but everything still works great. Maybe this will help someone else who maybe experiencing similar issues. Hopefully it won't happen again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m looking at a used 2016 Silverado. I was able to test drive it for a couple days. Looks great and runs well but I can’t get the local am stations on the radio. I tried the automatic searching several times and it finds only 2 or 4 stations, depending on where I am in town but none of them really come in. They’re mostly static. When I tried to use SEEK or SCAN it goes right by the strong and clear locals.

I’ve gone into Direct Tune to enter in the actual station number but it doesn’t light up the “GO” button. It won’t let me advance through the range by number either, only SEEK and SCAN.

How do I get my favorite local am stations programmed in?

Thanks

World666, I have a 2016 Silverado.  The Mylink AM radio has always worked well in this truck.  The FM was a little poor when I bought it but I think that was taken care of when they did the "Android Auto" update.  The FM is reasonable now, just a shade worse than the best out there but the AM didn't seem to change.  I would tell them to fix the radio, or maybe try the "Android Auto Update" before I bought the truck.  The replacements for the system are too expensive and you have too much to lose if you change it.  One option, though, is to mount an aftermarket stereo either on the center compartment next to the power outlets, or remove that fold down compartment and mount it there.  Wire the new radio "preamp outputs" through an adapter to the existing system through the "Aux In" port in the center console.  This way the only thing you lose is the voice commands for the original radio.