Radio Reception Issues

yep... George posted the links to a couple earlier in this thread.

I ordered one similar and going to try it out soon as I get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AB150-Anti-Static-FM-Radio-Signal-Amplifier-Antenna-Booster-15dB-Gain-Auto-Car-/331612371926?hash=item4d35a33bd6:g:YYoAAOSw4CFYrjcH&vxp=mtr%C2%A0%C2%A0

Thought I would update, I'm pretty disappointed in the booster. If it helped at all, it was probably say....less than 5% improvement.

Its a rainy cloudy night so I know the weather is changing every few miles, but just driving around in circles with the booster on one lap and off the next shows no significant improvement on the FM reception.

Hopefullly WHITEMIKE above will reply back with some more good info.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I FINALLY after 3 years and 2 months have a fix for my horrible radio crackling sound. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT. (The SLE trucks didn't have the problem as they didn't have the BOSE) Since day 1 my A.M & F.M radio has been awful. A horrible crackling noise in the speakers. MP3 or Satellite radio was just fine. Only Radio stations. Over the years they have replaced the speakers, antenna, changed settings and no fix. I wasn't ready to give up. A month ago I escalated the issued to GM customer care again as my dealer never had a fix in 3 years. Long story short, customer care said there was no fix and offered me $2,500 owners loyalty credit for new vehicle. No thank you... If I buy new again it wouldn't be GM.

I had enough. I wrote a letter and send it FedEx to the CEO of GM. 3 days later I get a call from a woman named Reisha in GM Corporate office. She was FANTASTIC! She called my dealership and got in touch with engineer team again. She called me every 2-3 days with an updated even if there was nothing to report. I was then told to go to my dealership and they needed to do an update to the program on my truck. I was told it would take @ 1 hr. The last updae GM put out was March 2016 for the radio issue.

I have taken it in 2x since and they never tried this.

Well, I took it in this morning and within 1 hours they downloaded the 2 updates to the truck. I got in and all my presets were wiped out so I knew they did something. I instantly noticed my FM station they had it on sounded very clear. (I'm here in Houston, TX so there should never be a bad clarity situation with a major station.) I then turned it over to the AM station (610am and 790am here in Houston) and it sounds SUPER SUPER CLEAR! No crackling sounds, just perfect! I couldn't believe my ears. I wasn't optimistic this would fix the problem but boy was I wrong!

I didn't receive a service sheet or anything so I'm not exactly sure what the update was. But I believe they said it was last update GM put out was MArch 2016. It had something to do with updating the radio and downloading something.

All I can say is WOW. Finally, 39 months later I can listen to AM and FM radio without it sounding like a chalkboard. I can't wait for my evening drive home and what now feels like my "New" again truck. My faith has been restored in GM!

It's 5 O'clock and time for me to leave work and listen to my Houston Sports AM station in pure clarity! Adios!

Brian

Did this help with reception problems?

Mine's a reception problem! Both trucks suck. GM gave me XM for a year but it is coming to an end. Will GM reup me or on my own again? Want to listen to the radio must use my headset or my wife's Durango. Price you pay for living in the country------- not----- just the worse radio in a vehicle I have owned. My first car of 35+ was a 62 comet and it had a better radio and headlights.

I'll put my 00.02 here.

I bought my truck last year and immediately noticed the radio reception was TERRIBLE. Static with 95% of the stations I listened. The only way I could stand it was by listening with iPhone plugged in playing spotify. Last week I dropped off my truck for a few warranty fixes, including an erratic issue with the screen going black. They did a few updates to the module and that was it. Since I've picked it up, my radio has been crystal clear with good reception. Finally I can listen to FM radio without getting pissed. I should also mention that my truck doesn't have the bose system.

Ironically the other day I was using a microfiber cloth to wipe my dash and my radio went out intermittently when I was cleaning. I could replicate it many times. Weird.

in some trucks it will do the same thing if you push a little on the front plate of the radio. some are so bad that it happens just by tapping it or even grabbing the volume knob. It was even worse on the previous generation.

Took my truck to Williams Chevrolet in Elkton Md. They ran my vin, and "diagnosed" my poor FM radio reception problem. They said NO updates were available for the radio and that my issue with poor FM was a "bad high frequency roof mounted antenna".

I replied, "isn't the fender mounted antenna for the AM/FM radio?"

their reply "its a bad high frequency roof mounted antenna. $95 for the antenna, $291 installation."

Took my truck to Williams Chevrolet in Elkton Md. They ran my vin, and "diagnosed" my poor FM radio reception problem. They said NO updates were available for the radio and that my issue with poor FM was a "bad high frequency roof mounted antenna".

I replied, "isn't the fender mounted antenna for the AM/FM radio?"

their reply "its a bad high frequency roof mounted antenna. $95 for the antenna, $291 installation."

Are you out of your warranty?? If not then that is on their dime to fix if that is the diagnosis. If your out of warranty then steer clear because that will not fix it anyway.

Yes, I'm out of warranty.

Interesting this GM replacement sells for $58 and part of the notes say "digital audio"

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oe-gm/23447542?origin=pla&gclid=CNaght7W59MCFVW4wAodIhsPoA

EDIT: Brain cramp....wasn't thinking "digital audio" probably means satellite radio, not HD FM.

Edited by KCG

So, If you're following along, this is going to be L O N G....

DAY 1

I called the dealer back and asked to speak with the Service Manager. I calmly asked why my truck was diagnosed with a "bad hi frequency antenna" when this antenna isn't used for AM/FM.

His reply, Hmmm, that doesn't sound right does it.

I said No I don't believe it does.

He said, let me research the wiring diagram and I'll call you back.

I said ok, thats fine and oh by the way, maybe you could check for that software update again.

He agreed, and about an hour later returned my call. sir, you're right, there is a bulletin for poor FM reception. Drop it off tomorrow. It will take about 1 1/2hr we'll get you fixed up.

Now at this point, do I trust these people at all? First its a bad antenna and no update available and now all of the sudden there's a new miracle update!?

So I'm game, this radio sucks the way it is

My wife takes the truck over and waits on it. 3hrs later she calls me at work. MY RADIO WON'T EXCEPT THE UPDATE AND HAS TO BE REPLACED.

Now, I'm about to lose it and she continues....and there's no charge.

Wait, what did you just say?

That's right, they're going to replace the radio for free. Don't have it in stock, but will get it tomorrow. Take 1 1/2hr to R&R.

After FREE finally sunk in, I said go for it. What have I got to lose.

DAY 2

Couple hrs at the dealer and my wife calls me....headed home. Radio is in. Sounds good she says.

My work schedule has been pretty rough this week so I haven't been able to talk to the manager since, but I drove the truck a few laps tonight in the same area I tested the antenna booster. Maybe my opinion will change the more I listen, but the HD doesn't stay locked on any better than before. The biggest difference I noticed is when it switches back to normal analog FM, its not as drastic of a change as before. Now analog FM sounds better, like it has BETTER RECEPTION. Before when it would drop out of HD, it damn near went silent and would slowly come back very softly till it locked on HD again and repeated the process. It doesn't do that near as bad now. It seems to hold the same volume level, you can just hear the drop off in quality from HD....much better!

Time will tell if its really happening but so far there is a glimmer of hope for this.

I don't know if they just changed the radio for an identical one or if its a newer version. I'll try to find that out.

CHANGED IT FOR FREE!? WHATS UP WITH THAT???

edit; just for reference, this is a '14 LT non-bose. I bought the truck used a few weeks ago. No bumper-bumper warranty left.

Edited by KCG

KCG, I'm going to assume that you've never had any dealer radio updates prior to this. (If this answer is in one of your previous posts, I apologize, as I didn't go back far enough in pages.) Is this a "new" update, or is this the one they came up with a couple years ago. Where after a certain build year, it was a software update only. Prior was hardware and software. Sorry, but I don't remember the cutoff month/year.

GLC, I honestly don't know what i got. My wife had to take the truck over and wait on it. I have yet to talk to them again, but I'm going to next week. I wanted to drive it around as much as possible this weekend and get a better feel for it before calling back. Yesterday I went to an area where I couldn't pick up anything but static on a particular station and it was a good surprise....played straight away. I still don't think there was any improvement for HD, but the analog FM is definitely a noticeable difference.

The only thing I know is what they told her, and that is the original couldn't be upgraded and had to be changed.

Now, does that mean the original was bad and wouldn't except the upgrade or was it too old for the upgrade they were trying to do? I'd have to assume they thought they were going to try and upgrade mine cause whatever changed their mind about replacing it, they had to order the replacement in. So what I'm saying is, if a replacement was the answer, they would've done that first before making my appointment.

So, did I get a 2014 or newer model radio?

And lastly, why did they do it for free? I've only been there once for this problem and that's when they told me it was the antenna problem. I didn't buy the truck there either. Bought it just a few weeks ago at a furd dealership.

Edited by KCG

GLC, I honestly don't know what i got. My wife had to take the truck over and wait on it. I have yet to talk to them again, but I'm going to next week. I wanted to drive it around as much as possible this weekend and get a better feel for it before calling back. Yesterday I went to an area where I couldn't pick up anything but static on a particular station and it was a good surprise....played straight away. I still don't think there was any improvement for HD, but the analog FM is definitely a noticeable difference.

The only thing I know is what they told her, and that is the original couldn't be upgraded and had to be changed.

Now, does that mean the original was bad and wouldn't except the upgrade or was it too old for the upgrade they were trying to do? I'd have to assume they thought they were going to try and upgrade mine cause whatever changed their mind about replacing it, they had to order the replacement in. So what I'm saying is, if a replacement was the answer, they would've done that first before making my appointment.

So, did I get a 2014 or newer model radio?

And lastly, why did they do it for free? I've only been there once for this problem and that's when they told me it was the antenna problem. I didn't buy the truck there either. Bought it just a few weeks ago at a furd dealership.

KCG, pretty much the same deal happened with me too. Mine was performed in Sept. of '14. The "bulletin" was issued (I'm guessing) a month maybe before that. At first is was going to be an update, then it turned into a radio module replacement, and update. They had to order my radio also. I'm assuming they don't keep those modules on the shelf. My truck was built in 10/13. I got my truck 2/22/14. Like I posted, I do not remember the build cutoff date for the software only update, but it's obviously after 10/13. I'm not sure what this deal falls under, as it's not a recall, but somehow it's still like warranty work. Possibly why you didn't pay anything.

My radio was a lot better after the change, but it still has it's problems. Certain stations continue to drive me nuts. One in particular that I listen to that broadcasts the Pirate baseball games, still "repeats" play by play like a skipping record. Unbelievably frustrating as these trucks are going on 4 years old now, and this radio deal, unfortunately, is what it is. Chalk it up to "minor league" engineering by GM. If I had any say about it, those involved couldn't have been fired fast enough.

Edited by glc

Sounds like you have some type of problem with the touch screen as far as that repeat problem goes...

And yeah, I talked to service manager yesterday. He said they checked my serial number and it was out of range for the software update. So they had to replace it. Sounds like the same thing you went thru.