Radio Reception Issues

• 1 month later...

The only thing they did to mine was something that would allow me to turn off HD permanatly. so I can cut it off and it does not cut back on regardless of changing stations or turning off the truck or listening to XM. But the reception is no better and it sounds like analog. So no big deal for me.

I've only owned my 2014 Sierra for a month and hate using the radio! It drops in and out of local stations. I called the dealership and they said that is how to works! I just plug in my IPhone and play my playlists. Not happy that you buy a truck with options and then you can't bare to use those options because they are unbareable.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2017 GMC Canyon and was not able to pull in my favorite stations (which I could pull in with my KIA mini-van). I believe GM intentionally installs under-performing AM/FM Antenna to get owners to pay up for satellite radio. I went to TheAntennaSource and they sold me the 6 3/4 inch A010 Mast. I screwed in this slightly smaller antenna (the GM was about an inch longer) and my problem was solved! Great people and a great product - give it a try, it worked for me. 

antenna2.jpg

On 10/14/2017 at 5:36 PM, SkipperMatt said:

I believe GM intentionally installs under-performing AM/FM Antenna to get owners to pay up for satellite radio

Lol I highly doubt GM gets any sort of kickback from SXM 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, I frequent the Chevy/GMC Truck Shake forum :sigh: but..... Regarding poor reception, I had been having issues with poor radio reception and "noise" from the speakers. Come to find out, the cause was that I had a charging cable plugged into one of the cigarette lighter thingies to keep a camera battery charged up.  When I unplugged the charger, the "noise" stopped and radio reception was much improved.

Just throwing it out there in case someone else has the same issues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-11-04 at 2:23 PM, Willyone said:

Sadly, I frequent the Chevy/GMC Truck Shake forum :sigh: but..... Regarding poor reception, I had been having issues with poor radio reception and "noise" from the speakers. Come to find out, the cause was that I had a charging cable plugged into one of the cigarette lighter thingies to keep a camera battery charged up.  When I unplugged the charger, the "noise" stopped and radio reception was much improved.

Just throwing it out there in case someone else has the same issues.

Hello all,

i too am having radio reception issues,  I was also using a cigarette adapter to charge something and when i took it out it fixed the reception until this winter,  I find that when I listen to AM ( I know I know who listens to AM but its the station the Edmonton Oilers are broadcasted on) and switch back to FM, i have no reception until i shut the truck off and start again.   I also started using the Onstar app to start my truck and unlock doors and that seems to be affecting it.   I seen a post that talked about the coax cable not being protected and and any electronics could affect the reception,  Not sure if that was ever figured out or not.  Has anyone got a solution yet for this thread?  Thanks 

Edited by Randy Sutherley

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, tnchevy said:

I guess it is safe to say that the 2017+ trucks have much better FM reception?  Mine still sucks but I haven't seen any new posts on the subject in a while.

I quit looking on this forum, quite awhile ago. I think it's a pretty sure bet being our trucks are going on 4 years old, nothing is ever going to be done about the crappy radio. I don't even listen to the "regular" radio. Only XM.

• Like 2

It is still strange that sometimes I can get pretty good reception and other times I can't and this is with the truck in the same place (my driveway).  I only drive 5k miles a year so the bad reception is not a huge deal to me but still bugs me the times I do tune into FM.  I too listen to XM or my SD card filled with mp3's.  I am still able to get XM for $5 a month but to do that I have to talk to a call center in India where I can barely understand what they are saying and spend 30 mins or more threatening to cancel till they do give that price.  When the day comes they won't give it to me cheap then I will probably drop it.  Funny thing is on my Jeep Grand Cherokee they will not play the cancel game with me, they just dropped it when I threatened to cancel.  Makes me wonder if they have some numbers worked up on what types of vehicles/owners readily drop XM and which ones don't.  The truck has never been a problem but the JCG I have had to cancel and drop the service twice and pick it up again later when they start calling to get me back in to get it cheap again.

Edited by tnchevy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, tnchevy said:

I guess it is safe to say that the 2017+ trucks have much better FM reception?  Mine still sucks but I haven't seen any new posts on the subject in a while.

I've got a 2017 ZR2 with the same reception issues, I dropped it off at the dealer. We shall see. I came here looking for answers. Seems like this has been a problem for awhile now.