2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

Are you guys going w/ the sealed box or the open style? I would imagine the open air style would make more power but require more cleaning.

Isn't Banks performance also a choice among GM trucks?

I think I'm also going wait and see what else comes out, as it is I already was probably the first guinea pig for Flowmaster's system...

I came from a 2012 Hemi Ram. On the performance section of the forums it was thought that the sealed style (S&B was the most popular) makes the most power. The open style winds up sucking hot air in from the engine compartment. There were even a few guys that made dyno runs to prove it, in fact one of the open air style's made less horsepower than the factory box with a K&N drop in filter. The open air style makes a lot more intake noise than the sealed, so that could be a plus or minus depending on your taste. I wound up putting an S&B on my Ram and I was pleased with it. If they make one for the Silverado I'll do the same.

I came from a 2012 Hemi Ram. On the performance section of the forums it was thought that the sealed style (S&B was the most popular) makes the most power. The open style winds up sucking hot air in from the engine compartment. There were even a few guys that made dyno runs to prove it, in fact one of the open air style's made less horsepower than the factory box with a K&N drop in filter. The open air style makes a lot more intake noise than the sealed, so that could be a plus or minus depending on your taste. I wound up putting an S&B on my Ram and I was pleased with it. If they make one for the Silverado I'll do the same.

Yeah I had a banks performance on an 07 silverado 5.3 (I didn't put it on it was my dad's rig and when he didn't drive anymore gave it to me) but I'm coming from LSx muscle car crowd. With the vettes/camaros/GTO/G8 etc. the best intakes were the over the radiator gaping maw type. Don't think they make those for trucks and w/ the shape of the front end and how high it sits not sure if it'd function the same either.

Didn't get it for cost, but it was a lot cheaper than the $389 that was just posted...lol

Yes Todd, I figured you probably got yours through a contact. I ordered mine direct from Air Raid. I never order direct from the manufacturer because they always price everything high. In this case, since the Air Raid system wasn't marketed for the 6.2, but Air Raid was saying it will work. I knew I would have issues trying to get one from somewhere else, and then just in case I did have an issue, I had no leverage. With Air Raid, I have a name and contact guy there who swears it will work, so even though I paid more for it, at least, I feel more comfortable going direct to Air Raid. FWIW, I did pay $439.99 delivered. You win a few and lose a few, I guess.

Yeah I had a banks performance on an 07 silverado 5.3 (I didn't put it on it was my dad's rig and when he didn't drive anymore gave it to me) but I'm coming from LSx muscle car crowd. With the vettes/camaros/GTO/G8 etc. the best intakes were the over the radiator gaping maw type. Don't think they make those for trucks and w/ the shape of the front end and how high it sits not sure if it'd function the same either.

Like a Vararam?

Yes, I have a Calloway Honker on my Vette. It is huge, has a filter approx 16X20. The design is similar to the vararam, except much bigger intake. It does pull air from the outside, not the engine compartment. No amount of engineering could ever make it fit our trucks.

http://www.vararam.com/air-grabber/air-grabber.html

They have them for 4th gen Ram's.

These are the "real" CAI designs, there's a big difference in where they suck the air from, the route the air flows (ie no bends at all, instead a short & direct pipeline right to the TB), and the surface area of the filter itself.

I would be interested in one of these types for sure.

I want to publicly thank TJay (Todd) for his advice and counsel on installing the Airaid CAI System designed and sold for the 5.3, on our 6.2s. He was 100% correct. It fits, works, and installs like a champ on the 6.2. I have put systems on most vehicles I have owned in the last several years and I have never had one that sounds so good, and when you get on it, it reacts as if a turbo just kicked in. I honestly believe this system, with the huge "snorkel" hanging down behind the grill picks up more outside air than most systems. I knnow it functions much better than the K&N I had on my '12 Silverado 5.3. Anyway, for those interested, with a 6.2...IT REALLY WORKS! Once again, my sincere thanks and appreciation go out to TJay. Without his posts and advice, I would never have considered ordering a system designed for a 5.3 to install on my 6.2. Thank you Sir, if you can't tell...I'm a happy camper!!!

• Like 1

It looks like it from the design of the airbox but I'm not 100. Think I'm leaning towards the Airaid tube with the stock box. I still haven't heard any real world reviews of feeling a increase in power or if it's just a expensive decorative piece lol.

Edit-- http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=54-74104&menu=gastruck&searchtype=family&brandID=56

This one from AFE is the only other well designed one I've found. They also make one for the 6.2 motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dj0nes