2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just moved from a '12 F150 into a '17 Z71......wow. I realize this is quite subjective but how much more noise does an aftermarket CAI make on these new Silverado's? I had one on the Ford and actually found it obnoxious, especially while towing. I removed the kit after about 150 miles and sold it! I'm dying to add one to the 5.3 but am afraid of being too "throaty" (yes there was a time when I would have said NO SUCH THING!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by viffer

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just moved from a '12 F150 into a '17 Z71......wow. I realize this is quite subjective but how much more noise does an aftermarket CAI make on these new Silverado's? I had one on the Ford and actually found it obnoxious, especially while towing. I removed the kit after about 150 miles and sold it! I'm dying to add one to the 5.3 but am afraid of being too "throaty" (yes there was a time when I would have said NO SUCH THING!)

If you have an exhaust you will probably barely hear it unless during wot. If you just have oem exhaust and intake only them you'll likely be hearing it more but i don't think its obnoxious or too "throaty" i have a airaid

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed an air raid full kit on my 2017 denali ultimate 1500 6.2l and I got a solid 1mpg increase in fuel economy. Mabey a bit more cause i can't help but get on with the awsome growl at 2500 rpm. No sound difference unless you get on the pedal. Perfect.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just installed an air raid full kit on my 2017 denali ultimate 1500 6.2l and I got a solid 1mpg increase in fuel economy. Mabey a bit more cause i can't help but get on with the awsome growl at 2500 rpm. No sound difference unless you get on the pedal. Perfect.

I take that back after 500mi. I know have a 2mpg increase. I didn't expect much on that department. Pleasant surprise. Makes that $400 purchase a little more justifiable.

• Like 1

installed the banks CAI and liked the sound of it but has anyone had trouble with the trans not shifting right? it seemed to be bogging down when taking off slowly and acted like the converter wasn't locking up, also the system that goes to V4 when at a steady speed was not working correctly and causing weird noise when it tried to engage . took it to the dealer for the trans issue and they said it was the CAI causing it of course I called BS and said they were just saying that to not fix the trans issue. I did reinstall the factory intake and it did fix the trans issue never thought letting more air into the engine would be a bad thing lol so is that something a tune will fix? doesn't sound like any one has talked about having to have it tuned until other mods were done. have an SCT bulldog tune but no place to allow for the extra air 2016 crew cab

installed the banks CAI and liked the sound of it but has anyone had trouble with the trans not shifting right? it seemed to be bogging down when taking off slowly and acted like the converter wasn't locking up, also the system that goes to V4 when at a steady speed was not working correctly and causing weird noise when it tried to engage . took it to the dealer for the trans issue and they said it was the CAI causing it of course I called BS and said they were just saying that to not fix the trans issue. I did reinstall the factory intake and it did fix the trans issue never thought letting more air into the engine would be a bad thing lol so is that something a tune will fix? doesn't sound like any one has talked about having to have it tuned until other mods were done. have an SCT bulldog tune but no place to allow for the extra air 2016 crew cab

I put one one my 2017 1500 crew cab 6.2 and had no issues like that. Did you disconnect the battery when you installed it. So the computer could relearn the new air/fuel mix.

I'm sure a tune would fix it but you shouldn't have to just to run with with a CAI.

Edited by wildlyfe200

no i didn't disconnect the battery Ill try that thanks but I thinks someone earlier in this topic said that doesn't work

I'm not sure I know I did it when I did mine and I installed a Airaid full kit and had no issues that was how I did it

I'm not sure I know I did it when I did mine and I installed a Airaid full kit and had no issues that was how I did it

Yeah now that I think about it my satellite radio stations didn't get wiped out and I'm pretty sure that the computer in the truck adjusts on-the-fly for the air fuel ratio mixture resetting the battery probably would not do anything. That is a really odd issue you have there

Edited by wildlyfe200

• 2 weeks later...

I have a K&N CAI along with a GM Borla Exhaust on my 2017 Silverado LTZ 5.3L and I can still notice the CAI a little bit when I get on it, but it is not obnoxious. I like the sound of the CAI, but if you're towing it could get annoying I'd say. The K&N is an open box CAI though so maybe a closed box would be quieter? Seems like it would be, but hopefully someone else can confirm that. Overall, I've noticed some better throttle response, small power gains, and minimal MPG gains even before the exhaust was put on so I'm a happy camper. That's my $.02, hope it helped a little.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Last week i installed the Airaide intake pipe and kept the stock filter and box. Im not sure about power but i am at least 2mpg better already. Same route, driving style, same 87 gas. Everything same except the intake tube.

Pleasantly surprised :) The growl is nice as well. $150~ from amazon.

Edited by Ozer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I have the GM Borla exhaust on my 6.2, and am wishing it was slightly louder...

Would the MIT with the stock filter help with this? I'm coming from a K&N CAI with magnaflow muffler on a 2010 5.3l.

Or is an open element full CAI the only way to get some extra sound and any significant gains? If a full CAI is required, I'd still rather get an AFE MomentumGT, but they're $560 in Canada, while a MIT I can get for $210 (both those are before tax..)

So I have the GM Borla exhaust on my 6.2, and am wishing it was slightly louder...

Would the MIT with the stock filter help with this? I'm coming from a K&N CAI with magnaflow muffler on a 2010 5.3l.

Or is an open element full CAI the only way to get some extra sound and any significant gains? If a full CAI is required, I'd still rather get an AFE MomentumGT, but they're $560 in Canada, while a MIT I can get for $210 (both those are before tax..)

I installed my Intake before my headers and exhaust and the only sound I could hear was the growl under the hood above 2k rpm. I don't see how it would have any significant impact on the exaust sound.

My gm borla touring rear dual exit sounds nice but I also have a set of AR long tube headers in front of it. Go get some headers and a tune if you really want get some performance as well. Either that or get the Borla Sport or Attack.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk