Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Review

loganbent

Had been searching for a hard folding tonneau cover and eventually decided on the Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, purchased from their factory store. This will cover a couple of the criteria that I was looking for in a cover and why I chose the G4 Elite and my thoughts on the cover after installing it and having it for a grand total of 2 days so far. I will try and post an update in a couple weeks after I get some more time with it.

When searching for a cover I was wanting a hard cover that allowed quick access to the entire bed and I had to be able to pull the cover/panels off anywhere as I often end up with impromptu purchases(dang craigslist) that are large enough to need the entire bed. After initial searching I had narrowed it down to likely either the BAK Fibermax or Roll-X, however after seeing several positive comments here on the Fold-A-Cover I took another look at it as I had intially ruled it out due to not being able to get full bed access as quickly as the BAK line or some others. After reading the manual and seeing that the Fold-A-Cover did come completely off by simply removing (4) easy to access bolts I took a deeper look at this cover.

Main reasons I chose this cover as opposed to some of the other options:

• Front and rear opening-I like to keep a couple bags with tools/straps/trailer accessories and other truck stuff with me and this way I can keep those bags strapped toward the front of the bed for easy access
  • Mounts on top of side rails-The stuff I find on craigslist generally tends to be large so getting the rails up on top of the bed means more room in the bed and less chance of damage to the rails

This cover was roughly $175 more than the other one I was strongly considering and I'm sure that I would've been happy with it, but I felt that for me the features this cover had over some of the others were worth it to me.

Installation was pretty straight forward, well documented with pictures and instructions that were clear, easy to follow and accurate for my model(2014 Double Cab). I had watched the various installation videos on their website prior to purchase(and again prior to it arriving) so I had a good idea of what to expect. I am not going to review step by step install, just my thoughts on packaging, installation process and initial impressions of the cover, if you want step by step instructions hit their website up.

Cover was shipped in (2) packages, a box with the panels and hardware and a tube with the rails. Packaging was good, panels were well protected from common shipping damage with a heavy cardboard box, foam corners and inflated air pockets. Open up the box and the cover panels come out easily and fully assembled ready to place on the truck once the rails are installed.

post-125682-0-73366500-1388964990_thumb.jpg

Installation was straight forward, hardware worked as expected without any problems. In a couple spots they could probably swap out the hex head bolts for button heads using an allen wrench to give a little cleaner look but the included hardware does the job. I did not install the additional tailgate seal yet, I had enough other things I wanted to get done the night I installed this that I put that one off for later. The lock strikes took a bit of work to get adjusted, the locks have (2) latch points in them and if your latch strike is too deep(far away from teh panel) it can get the first latch point but not have enough downward travel to completely lock, once I realized that completing the lock strike adjustment was straight forward.

First impressions, I'm happy with the cover and they appear to have done a nice job on all aspects of it. The fit/finish is very nice, everything aligns like it should. Materials are cut cleanly, no burrs, ragged cuts, offset screws etc. They put several extra items on the cover that help position it as a "polished" product that was well thought out and executed, even though they're primarily aesthetic and really don't have an impact on function. Example is the weatherstrips they used(shown below) to cover up the cable linkage used to actuate the locks, this has a bit of a functional purpose as it helps limit the ability of someone to "slim jim" the panel lock with a coat hook.

post-125682-0-55391000-1388965686_thumb.jpg

It's not water proof by any means and I'm not expecting it to be, but should definitely keep 95% or more of mother nature out, allow me to store some of the common truck stuff in the bed instead of under a seat and still allow quick conversion to full bed capacity.

post-125682-0-18207400-1388966735_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your review. I am thinking of the Fold-a-Cover for my '14 also. I have seen the different videos too. One thing I can't tell from them is the stake pocket holes. Since the rails mount in the stake pockets, are all the pockets totally covered? I suppose you could opent the back panel and then have access to the hand-hold pocket for using the step in the bumper.

Thanks for sharing your review. I am thinking of the Fold-a-Cover for my '14 also. I have seen the different videos too. One thing I can't tell from them is the stake pocket holes. Since the rails mount in the stake pockets, are all the pockets totally covered? I suppose you could opent the back panel and then have access to the hand-hold pocket for using the step in the bumper.

The rear pocket/hand hold is partially available, I took a picture of it and will try and get it uploaded over lunch. I didn't have a problem using it as a hand hold when installing the cover, but haven't tried accessing it with gloves yet....since the truck says -11 right now it should be a good time to try.

Update: Took a picture of the rear pocket showing what is available, let me know if you'd like any more!

post-125682-0-02029400-1389031609_thumb.jpg

Edited by loganb

Just wanted to follow up on this review. I also have installed a G4 Fold-A-Cover on my new 14' and with out a doubt, this is an awesome product. I also installed a Bed Rug and both complement each other very well and make for a very functional bed.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Installed this cover on my truck too, along with the 'personal caddy'. The caddy comes in real handy for my wife when she get's groceries. I've used it for placing items under the cover that you don't want moving around. There's also a expandable metal tray built in that is also very handy to have. Love this cover!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the center latches it has now too. Keeps the center from lifting in high winds..

I had issues with that on my Colorodo with the old design Fold-a-Cover.

You just have to make sure you lift the back panel cover up and then down to ensure the latch.

• 1 month later...

I just got this cover installed on a 2015 Silverado(should be same as 2014). How well does this keep out the rain based on your experiences? Did anyone add a tailgate seal, and how much did this help to keep out water?

Thanks in advance.

The cover is not waterproof. The folks at Fold-A-Cover mention that on the website. However, it is very good at keeping 99% of the water out. In heavy rain I'll get small puddles toward the front of the bed. But that's it. I bought the personal caddy, and that, for me, is water tight. I haven't had any water in it at all.

When I ordered my cover from Fold-A-Cover, they provided a tailgate seal kit. I didn't use it at first and I got a lot of dust in the bed over a 200 mile or so trip. I decided to install the seal and it made a huge difference in the amount of dust collected. I get very little if any now. Granted, I don't live in a very dusty climate, but I saw a difference right away. I can't say how effective it is with water as I was never in the rain with the cover on and no tailgate seal. However, with it, I don't seem to get any water in that area.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2