2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone like the gator roll up? For only 259.99 it seems like it would get the job done as far as keeping the bed fairly dry. Any other good priced roll ups out there? Weather tech seems like a stretch for 499.99 when it looks like the same quality as lesser priced options.

Thanks,

I have a 2014 LT Crew Cab with the short box, and I am a salesman who drives this truck all day every day for work. I keep samples and catalogs, a small toolbox and a plastic tub with a lid that has towels and jacks, trailer hitch, jumper cables, etc. I have a soft tonneau cover that came on the truck when I bought it used, I don't know the brand but it has a big bowtie in the middle towards the tailgate so maybe it's an OEM GM part?

This soft cover, coupled with a few commercial grade floor mats down in the bed I have from a previous job, and my bed stays really dry and it's great. I'd like to get a little more security, and it would be nice to have more room to move around without rolling back the cover, so I have been considering hard bed covers (low ones that sit right over the top of the bed), and tall ones that some people call camper shells or toppers (with windows and a high roof, level with the cab roof).

What do you guys think is the best option for what I use it for, bearing in mind I need accessibility and water-tight more than anything else. Security is a plus but not worth spending over $1,500~ (to me). I know this is a pretty standard price for a camper shell, I have looked around a little, but I would also like to know what everyone else may think might be a better option for me?

Also, what do you guys think about the bed seal kits? Does it make the bed really hard to clean? Is it really a good thing to do? How water-tight can you really get it, with the big gaps between the tailgate and the sides of the bed?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I have a 2014 LT Crew Cab with the short box, and I am a salesman who drives this truck all day every day for work. I keep samples and catalogs, a small toolbox and a plastic tub with a lid that has towels and jacks, trailer hitch, jumper cables, etc. I have a soft tonneau cover that came on the truck when I bought it used, I don't know the brand but it has a big bowtie in the middle towards the tailgate so maybe it's an OEM GM part?

This soft cover, coupled with a few commercial grade floor mats down in the bed I have from a previous job, and my bed stays really dry and it's great. I'd like to get a little more security, and it would be nice to have more room to move around without rolling back the cover, so I have been considering hard bed covers (low ones that sit right over the top of the bed), and tall ones that some people call camper shells or toppers (with windows and a high roof, level with the cab roof).

What do you guys think is the best option for what I use it for, bearing in mind I need accessibility and water-tight more than anything else. Security is a plus but not worth spending over $1,500~ (to me). I know this is a pretty standard price for a camper shell, I have looked around a little, but I would also like to know what everyone else may think might be a better option for me?

Also, what do you guys think about the bed seal kits? Does it make the bed really hard to clean? Is it really a good thing to do? How water-tight can you really get it, with the big gaps between the tailgate and the sides of the bed?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I have a tonno pro hard fold, looks and keeps the bed dry like a soft cover but, has an aluminum skin below the vinyl that keeps people from just cutting the cover with a knife.... Keeps the bed dry and it's cheap $500 or less if you find a deal. I don't like the bed seal kits myself, it makes it too hard to wash the bed out IMO.

• Like 2

I have a tonno pro hard fold, looks and keeps the bed dry like a soft cover but, has an aluminum skin below the vinyl that keeps people from just cutting the cover with a knife.... Keeps the bed dry and it's cheap $500 or less if you find a deal. I don't like the bed seal kits myself, it makes it too hard to wash the bed out IMO.

I think I'm leaning towards a camper shell, any experience with those?

I think I'm leaning towards a camper shell, any experience with those?

Joe, the camper shells have some advantages, but 2 big disadvantages. If you do a lot of in town or city driving you're going to hate the visibility, blind spots galore. Also if you have to store much in the bed and unless you're young and spry, you'll soon hate having to crawl on the tailgate and then on your knees to move things around in the bed as obviously you can't load anything over the side of the bed anymore.

• 2 weeks later...