2014+ Truck Bed / Tonneau Covers

I initially didn't pay much attention to the Fold-A-Cover as I was looking for something that gave full(or close to it) access to the bed quickly(and without tools) so the Fold-A-Cover was out of the running since the front most panel doesn't fold up with the rest. After seeing some positive reviews of it here I took a closer look at it and ended up going with it after comparing to the Bak Fibermax and the Roll-X I was debating between. I really liked the ability to open at both the front and rear of the bed, the more secure latch points to the bed and how it sat above the bed instead of flush with the top(putting the rails at a higher risk of damage). When I thought about what I normally haul in the bed the Fold-A-Cover seemed like a better solution, even with the slightly higher time involved to get the covers completely off to give full bed access.

The thing that I like is that even when folded, you have over 75% of complete bed access. In the others, when they are folded completely, it blocks the rear window, which I wasn't very fond of. Like you, the idea of the water running away from the cover, rather than through a series of channels and gutters and drain tubes made a difference also.

• Like 1

Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite showed up today, installed and pretty happy with it, considering it hasn't left the garage and been used. Install was straight forward, instructions and video online were very well done and useful, maybe an hour to get it installed and mostly adjusted then another 30 or 45 minutes getting it adjusted to my liking.

Initial impressions of the cover is that they appear to have thought it out and executed it nicely. Added some nice covers/weatherstrips/housings to hide various aspects that functionally aren't important but being concealed does give a nicer, finished appearance. Will try and get a more detailed review up in the review section with pictures if time allows this weekend.

I need to replace the defective Undercover Flex that's on my '14 now, wondering what you guys are running on your '14's. Rain-proof is my #1 priority with easy of removal / full bed access being # 2 along with security.

I'm thinking if I want water-proof my only option is an undercover classic?

Mostly looking to see what's working on your 2014 for you!

Thanks,

Aaron.

I had an Avalanche for about ~4 years, and quite honestly, HATED the cover system on it!! The panels were heavier and bulkier than necessary, IMO, and they took up too much bed space if you got somewhere and wanted to load something in the back. Otherwise, pull them off and leave them at home, but again, I found it to be just a pain in the ass the whole time I owned that truck.

I opted for the Bak-flip VP for my '14. Quite happy with it so far. My only real "complaint" is that release cables can be finicky to grab a hold of sometimes, esp. wearing gloves (which I often am right now in the winter!), so I wish they were a little easier to grab. Otherwise, works well, easy to use, and no worries about having to take the cover off completely any time I want full access to the bed.

I still think the Roll-X probably would be just about the best solution, but I worried a little bit about how well it would perform in the cold/snowy winter environment, so went for the Bak-flip instead, but there will always be a part of me that would rather the Roll-X (quicker/easier operation, and still have visibility out the back when it's rolled up).

Edited by Cap'n Pete
  • Like 1

What happened to your flex? I was going to order one.

Basically it leaks, undercovers remedy is to mail me super glue and new seals for me to install myself, the vendor; undercoverdirect.com refuses to issue a return authorization. I fixed the first leaks with superglue but now two new leaks have cropped up. Its not a few drops either its a 2' x 2' puddle in the bed of the truck. I don't mind a few drops in a heavy rain but I'm taking a light rain and lots of water gets in with the truck just sitting in the parking lot. The deisgin of the flex is a failure in the making IMO, All that holds their exterior seals on is the peel and stick adhesive on the weather seals. Its damn close to being decent but it misses the mark. Thank god I bought it with visa and they hooked me up with a refund.

up with a refund.

Edited by Imcrazy

Anyone have any tips on a single piece body color tonneau? I'm liking the looks of the lazerlite but they haven't released the 2014 model quite yet. If you've used a certain brand, how much did you pay and do you like it? Any tips would be good. My summit white Denali SB should be arriving in the next couple weeks and I want a body color tonneau on her right away along with a spray in liner.

I have the extang trifecta signature series. I love it! It is 99% waterproof. Only time I see water is in torrential down pours or going through the car wash. It takes about 5 minutes to put on by myself and about 2 minutes to remove myself.

asa2ydeq.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

See link below for my review of the Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, only had it installed for a couple days but many other members here have it and like it as well.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/156634-fold-a-cover-g4-elite-hard-folding-tonneau-cover-review/

Another vote for fold a cover love it. I don't think any fold up covers are waterproof but this is pretty close.
  • Like 1

Undercover LUX SE paint to match. Great cover. Keeps it dry

Another vote for the Undercover Lux SE paint to match. I have it on my Sonoma Red Denali. It is the second one I have owned. I had one on my previous truck, '10 Silverado Ext. Cab and it was so great, I ordered this one for the Denali and had it on hand two weeks before I took delivery of the truck. I would venture to say it has to be one ot the most waterproof covers made, and the security is as good or better than any of them. Using two people (due to the size) it can be removed in 30 seconds, and reinstalled in the same amount of time. The only draw back with this cover is, if you are going to haul something higher than the bed itself, you have to pre-plan the haul so you can leave the cover at home. However, if you want security and waterproof, you can't beat it. Good luck with your choice.

Since when was a Tonneau cover supposed to make your bed a trunk? seriously? most tonneaus are good at keeping water out and I have had some that never have leaked but if you want a sealed trunk get a car or an Avalanche..... the expectations on tonneau manufacturers by todays consumer are a little insane. No tonneau will guarantee against leaks.... they are not meant to.

I have the GM tri-fold hard cover. It does not leak. It will not leak. I have driven through blizzards and downpours and just annihilated the truck w/ a pressure wand after getting the whole thing caked w/ salt on my way up to VT and not one drop of water makes its way inside the bed.

Althought not totally secure by any means, locking the tailgate w/ the tonneaue snapped in place and the hard panels makes it much more difficult to get access to the bed compared to others, also, adding a bed extender turned inside out will make a nice little "trunk space" as well...

• Like 1