Dash info screen randomly resets all settings

So after trying to figure out if I was doing something wrong as the 25mpg best times kept resetting, I did a test. I have a denali so I can change a bunch of settings on the info display on the dash. (not the big screen, but the one between the speedo and tach).

It seems that for no apparent reason, all of my settings randomly reset with no clear pattern.

It resets my best mpg, my display settings and my trip odometer.

I am bringing it to the dealer next week. :nonod:

At least they will also look at the problems that I am having with syncing my contacts. Only 1 group of my contacts on my iphone 5 are syncing.

Hope its nothing major.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a new Denali and have the same issue. I use the Technology theme on the cluster and leave it on the FE page. About once a week the theme resets back to Standard, it's on MPH page, and the FE history is gone. Drives me nuts. My 03 Yukon periodically forgets NAV and memory seat settings as well. Was never able to figure out a fix for that. I'm hoping that this issue is correctable on my Denali.

Not sure what the RPO for the Denali cluster is but you guys ever see this happen? sounds like the thing is rebooting may be the source of your issues

PI1118: Instrument Cluster Goes Blank, Lights Turn On and Off, Gauge Pointers
Drop - (Nov 22, 2013)

Subject: Instrument Cluster Goes Blank, Lights Turn On
and Off, Gauge Pointers Drop

999999995.gif Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Equipped with Uplevel Cluster (RPO UDD) and Built Prior to VIN Breakpoints Listed
Below

Plant

VIN

Date

Silao

3GCUKREC4EG277899

October 25, 2013

Fort Wayne

1GCNKREC0EZ183085

October 28, 2013

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that the instrument cluster goes blank, I/P lights
turn on and off and that the gauge pointers drop and return.

This condition may be caused by a software anomaly.

Recommendation/Instructions

An updated software calibration has been released to address the above
conditions. Update the instrument panel cluster using a USB FLASH
DRIVE
and the Service Programming System (SPS) with the files available on
TIS2WEB. Refer to the SPS procedures in SI.

Important: This procedure is a USB flash drive programming event. This
IS NOT a standard TIS2WEB programming
event. This procedure requires a USB 2.0 flash drive. The minimum USB flash
drive capacity requirement is 4 GB. The software downloaded to the USB flash
drive can be used to update all vehicles involved in this bulletin.

Any
existing data on the USB flash drive will be erased during the TIS2WEB-to-USB
flash drive download process. To ensure important data IS
NOT
deleted from the USB flash drive, transfer the data from the USB flash
drive onto another approved data storage device BEFORE
attempting to download software from TIS2WEB.Once the software is downloaded to
the USB, DO NOT add any data to the storage device.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

Instrument

Well, I guess that I am glad that I am not the only one. I am bringing it in next week. They are researching it now. I'll let you know what happens.

Well, I guess that I am glad that I am not the only one. I am bringing it in next week. They are researching it now. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks. I was giong to wait until my first oil change (currently at ~1400 miles) to do something about it. Let me know what you find out.

I have an appointment with the tech on Wed. I'll post Wed night.

I found another problem with the system too. I have a bunch of music on a connected iPod and SD card. The large intellilink screen sees everything immediately, but the small screen does not see all of the music. It's there and can be played. I just can't get to it via the small screen.

Must be a glitch in the small screen software.

Apparently, they need to do a software reinstall so I have it booked to leave it there all day next week. They are going to do the recall software at the same time. It was taking over 3 hrs today due to website traffic from GM. My phone was able to sync with a '14 Silverado on the lot, so they think that my individual software is to blame.

Next Wed, I'll post an update.

I brought my truck in on Friday for this and the recall. I sat with the tech for about 5 minutes explaining how the Denali cluster worked (it was his first time seeing one in detail) and explaining my problem. He immediately called GM and spoke with their people for new problems. GM said this was the first time they heard of this problem and recommended verifying that the cluster harness was installed correctly (unlikely to be the cause) and then call back. I didn't want to wait around for a couple of hours while they tore apart my dash and tried random things, so I told them to just make a note in my file and I'd come back after tracking the problem further. He said they'd probably eventually try a new cluster as there wasn't much else to do. It hasn't happened in about a ten days now, and its been "warmer" here, so I'm thinking it's cold weather related. Maybe a bad ground? Anyway, I'll track it a little more and have them look into it again at my first oil change. I'm at ~1700 miles.

They reinstalled the software, did the recall.

It did fix my contact syncing issue, but yesterday my tech setting and best mileage all erased again.

I did try to remote start it before it went. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

all in all, not a big problem, just an inconvenience, so I can live with it. Hopefully as more denalis are delivered an update will come out that solves it.

GM doesn't seem to have a clue about this. Since the volume is low and they can't reproduce it, it will be hard to figure out.

Did you have any better luck?

Archived