First Time Truck Buyer - Advice on Chevy Incentives

Hello all,

First time truck buyer, and actually first time buying a new vehicle off the showroom floor. Obviously I'm interested in a Silverado, but am curious about how to get a good price on one. In December I believe Chevy was offering $2750 in cash incentives, in January this fell to just $750. Should I wait until February to see if there are better incentives that month? How does this factor into the price of the truck after all negotiating is finished?

The reason I am slightly confused is that I can find Chevy dealer websites that list e-prices that are $8-9k off of msrp right now. Obviously there is a huge amount of "float" built into the msrp listing, so much that it makes me wonder if I should wait for higher Chevy incentives next month or not - or if the price I will pay walking out the door will be nearly the same.

Can someone give me some insight into the process, and how discounts work between manufacturer and dealer? Also any other advice, since I will likely have to order a truck to get the options and packages that I want.

Thanks,

Waiting usually works to your favor. GM took a different approach this time, increasing prices an extra amount, and reducing incentives at the same time. Either they're trying not to sell too many trucks, or they're going to be putting some better incentives out soon. I think that most '13's are gone, so they should be gearing up for some faster paced Spring sales. They sure won't sell a lot at the current prices. Truck Month (Feb?) usually brings decent incentives.

Read on the Motley Fool that GM doesn't plan deep discount on the Silverado in hopes to protect resale value. Keep in mind, the Silverado is GMs most profitable vehicle. I don't think you're going to see the massive rebates like years past until August when new models come out. However, that doesn't mean dealers aren't willing to make deals as inventory creeps up. You can readily get suppliers pricing without having to really try. Find the truck you like and make an offer.

FWIW, I bought my Sierra on 1/2/14 with $3500 in rebates and a little over $5k knocked off by the dealer. If you're getting $8-9k off of MSRP right now, you're essentially getting the same deal I did if our trucks are similar. Whether or not I got a good deal is a different question. :) The MSRP on my truck was about $42k. HTH

I am looking and running the numbers. GM is not putting up much in the way of rebates. Also been looking at ram trucks they are little cheaper and better rebates currently.

Going to see what truck month brings. Hopefully they will give us some more money off.

Can get $500 off thru Farm Bureau. How about any other money savers??

Archived