Assist Steps / Running Boards / Nerf Bars

I am going to remove the factory ones on my denali and put on the amp power steps soon. The stock 6" wide are decent running boards but fill up with snow and slush and because the truck is not lifted they are actually just in the way as I step over them to get in and out mind you im 6'3". Otherwise like you side if I step on them I have to hunker down and distort my body getting in lol.

sent from the galaxy - tapatalk

• Like 1

+1 AMP Research. I thought I should throw this out there. The factory 6 inch provide a ton of protection against debris from your front tires. That is why they are full of snow and other road mess. I'll be watching this thread closely. I am going to sell my factory chrome steps because I want all black ones. I am worried about losing the protection from them so I am not positive I'll do the AMP yet.

• Like 1

I first saw these steps on my brothers F150 Platinum and was amazed how functional they really are. My '14 came with the 6" steps and look nice but as for assisting getting in/out, they don't compare to the Amp Research. I had to make a decision whether to purchase the tonneau cover or the steps first. I went with the cover since I really could use it right away and already have assist steps. As soon as funds allow, I'll be ordering these steps.

Has anyone priced them less than $885/shipped? I don't know anything about this listed company; any feedback?

http://performanceparts.com/part/AMP-Research/75154-01A

• Like 2

I am worried about losing the protection from them so I am not positive I'll do the AMP yet.

I ran the AMPs for the nearly three years that I had my 2011 GMC crew cab. Although they are not "sticking out," they do protect the underside of the rocker panel when folded up. No rock chips, etc., on the lower door panel, rocker panel.

I just got the Ionic Voyager running boards. They are a 6" running board close to OEM bars. I got the chrome ones delivered for $356. Definitely changes the way you get in and out of the truck and catches a lot of the road debris. I have a long stone driveway and I think this will stop a majority of the stones from hitting the truck itself.

Was also considering amp boards .....but was also considering the possibility of protection from door dings having regular boards. My last truck equipped with nerf bars went several yrs without door dings as the boards protruded just enough to catch door ninja attacks.

I took my factory running boards off and sold them. I bought some black Nerf bars. I did not like the OEM floor boards.

These are the ones I bought in black. Cheap and high quality.

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/steelcraft-3-round-step-nerf-bars

Edited by haider320

Question about the AMPS. I am doing some 4 wheeling with the truck and wonder if they can get hurt if I drag them. Also, can they be turned off not to deploy when I open the door. The reason is that sometimes when your a little high centered you wouldn't want the to open when you open the door,

Question about the AMPS. I am doing some 4 wheeling with the truck and wonder if they can get hurt if I drag them. Also, can they be turned off not to deploy when I open the door. The reason is that sometimes when your a little high centered you wouldn't want the to open when you open the door,

I have never owned a set so i may be wrong, but i would assume since they tuck up under the truck quite well, dragging them wont be an issue. I would think you would catch the truck frame or something else before you actually catch the running board.

Also, i know that they have a feature that stop them if something prevents them from retracting up (Say a kids foot or something is stuck between the truck and the running board) and i would have to assume the same would be true if something prevented them from dropping.

Again, i have never owned a set, but i see my assumptions being fairly good towards that.

I have never owned a set so i may be wrong, but i would assume since they tuck up under the truck quite well, dragging them wont be an issue. I would think you would catch the truck frame or something else before you actually catch the running board.

Also, i know that they have a feature that stop them if something prevents them from retracting up (Say a kids foot or something is stuck between the truck and the running board) and i would have to assume the same would be true if something prevented them from dropping.

Again, i have never owned a set, but i see my assumptions being fairly good towards that.

Tim,

Your logic is sound but i'd feel better if I could flip a switch and turned them off rather than relying on the a pressure switch.

Tim,

Your logic is sound but i'd feel better if I could flip a switch and turned them off rather than relying on the a pressure switch.

Understandable. Im sure you could easily splice in a switch to do this.

I'd suspect that power running boards would be completely useless if there's any real accumulation of ice, snow or mud. I've seen what happens to those short manual pop-out boards available on F-150s (for box access) in these conditions - they often last only a few weeks before permanently seizing.

I don't like the standard 6" GM boards though. Not attractive, too wide and positioned in such a way that it is difficult to just avoid by stepping over them. If it was only me I would be happy to remove them and not replace them but the rest of my family isn't as tall.

• Like 1