Center console swap?

Just wondering - why do people not like the bench seat?  It seems like it has most of the functionality of the console other than the fact that the box isn't as deep, but there's still a locking space under the center seat.  Seems like you're just missing out on an extra seat, plus the ladies like the bench seat.

For starters, put some change in the holder on the lid. Or pens/pencils. Now try to open it up to get something out. Not so good. Or try to put a can of pop in a can cooler in those small cup holders. Better yet try a medium or large cup of coffee or soda from McD's. There may be 3 but they are too small. As for the ladies,  I'm 65  and married so that ain't much of an issue.

• Haha 1

Yep. When you have the harness out, inspect the existing 6-pin that plugs into the USB Hub.

Pin 6 (power) and pin 4 (ground) is the Splice to power up the other Hub. This, along with a USB cable feed from the HMI is all you should need to get a hub working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok... So what's your schedule like so you can install mine?!? I'm willing to drive up and compensate you for your time!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok... So what's your schedule like so you can install mine?!? I'm willing to drive up and compensate you for your time!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PM me.

Hi all,  I'm wondering if someone can help me.  I am looking at a new 2017 or 2018 truck, but would like the front bench seat.  Most inventory I see has front buckets.  I know I would need the jump seat, but what other dash pieces would I need to make this work?  

I did this swap on a 2002 and it wasn't difficult.  These newer trucks have more electronics and I'm not sure what all I would need.

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Bison said:

Hi all,  I'm wondering if someone can help me.  I am looking at a new 2017 or 2018 truck, but would like the front bench seat.  Most inventory I see has front buckets.  I know I would need the jump seat, but what other dash pieces would I need to make this work?  

I did this swap on a 2002 and it wasn't difficult.  These newer trucks have more electronics and I'm not sure what all I would need.

Thanks.

I've done this swap 3 times now. Besides the actual jump seat, you'll need:

- The front half of the floor carpet 

- Dash compartment 23177893 (that number is for cocoa)

- 3 screws that hold the dash compartment 11609456

- Trim pieces to cover the metal brace under the dash 22817747 & 22817748

- Lower insulator 20944557

- 110 volt outlet can be taken out of the console and used in the dash compartment.

Also, you'll have to remove the wiring from the console and do some splicing and connecting to the jump seat.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Thanks.

Ill have a jump seat for sale soon so keep an eye out, and depending on when you get your truck might be able to work out a trade for some parts.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys , I'm new here went threu the whole 90 pages got excited about swapping a console in my 2016 w/t , did some investigation and i din't think i have a hmi? box all i have is this rite behind the radio face plate , can i change it out to get more mini usb ports , by the way i don't have a usb i the glove box .the blue and black  plugs  on right are mini ports for the usb in bench console , Maybe pgamboa can assist me , 

IMG_4606.JPG

Edited by frankinbus
  • Like 1

Hi guys , I'm new here went threu the whole 90 pages got excited about swapping a console in my 2016 w/t , did some investigation and i din't think i have a hmi? box all i have is this rite behind the radio face plate , can i change it out to get more mini usb ports , by the way i don't have a usb i the glove box .the blue and black  plugs  on right are mini ports for the usb in bench console , Maybe pgamboa can assist me , 

IMG_4606.thumb.JPG.7776897f7131fbc95782f713f6497ce4.JPG

If I recall, in mine, the Blue USB port (from the HMI) went to the back of the radio. I’m presuming you are just needing to get USB charging from the USB ports of the console?

Yes , I think the blue goes to radio and the black one goes up yo the jump seat arm rest , I'm wondering if i could get a new radio head and change this one out so i could have one in glove box that reads too . i go to the dealers around here and get a no , no reason , but from what i read you seam to be pretty smart in this stuff.   

Edited by frankinbus
  • Like 1

Yes , I think the blue goes to radio and the black one goes up yo the jump seat arm rest , I'm wondering if i could get a new radio head and change this one out so i could have one in glove box that reads too . i go to the dealers around here and get a no , no reason , but from what i read you seam to be pretty smart in this stuff.   

I don’t know much about swapping out units without some sort of programming. I know that HMIs need programming, but again, not 100% on that. Is your console a 14/15 console or 16/17? One way to tell is if the front USB hub is triple or dual USB and if the inside USB has an SD card slot or not.

Yes truck is two door 2016 , W/T , has two slot usb , but realy surprised it doesn't have a usb in glove box ,

I bought the Vais Tech, XM radio adapter to install and wanted to go with the long console and put the interface under dash , I was hoping one of you guys had done this , the console looks two easy to do , but the computa stuff for usb is crazy 

• Like 1

Yes truck is two door 2016 , W/T , has two slot usb , but realy surprised it doesn't have a usb in glove box ,
I bought the Vais Tech, XM radio adapter to install and wanted to go with the long console and put the interface under dash , I was hoping one of you guys had done this , the console looks two easy to do , but the computa stuff for usb is crazy 

If you look at the back of the USB Hub, (for 16/17 hubs), there should be (2) USB Ports and a 6-Pin Connector. The Hubs needs to have a USB and the 6-pin connector in order for it to work. Because it is a hub, it has chip components that require powers. The 6-Pin connector provides the power while the USB provides the data connection. On these Dual USB Hubs, one of those USBs ports on the back is an input and the other is an Output.

Front of console USB Hub. Right side needs a USB Input (from HMI). Left side is an Output (can feed the Inside Compartment USB Hub)
a513ae3ae359cf20f4ce3e63e14c3f14.jpg

This is the Inside Compartment USB Hub
41d0649793b297c3c158054a28cd1530.jpg