Service Rear Vision System

The service manager from Vestal GMC in Kernersville, NC just called me and said they have in fact fixed the rear camera issue. He said GM just put out a "PI" on this issue. There is a software update he said he had to do which will resolve this issue. If your local service tech does not find the same information, have him call Jeff at Vestal GMC. 336-996-5780.

If your truck hasn't thrown this error, it may just be a matter of time. It took mine over a month to show this error so many people are seeing. At least now there is a fix for it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by LeeDowney

Thanks for the info, Lee. When I took my truck in they were unable to recreate the error message (even though I showed them the photo I took), so they said there was nothing they could do. Hopefully they did the software update when I took it in for the recall.

• 2 months later...

I have had this error twice in the last 3 weeks. I had a set of RIGID reverse LED lights installed under the bumper. Ever since the DIC has thrown this error, my Rigid’s don’t work when I shift into reverse as well as the factory reverse lights. Rigid’s work when I use the bypass switch. Tested the Factory reverse lights and there is no power going to them. Just got off the phone with the dealer to bring it in for service Monday 5/19, we will see what becomes of that, but I can already hear them blaming the aftermarket add ons as the problem! Also, my guy at the speed shop tried for 2 hours to resolve the issue but can’t get power to the factory reverse light and that is where the relay for the Rigid’s is tapped into. They called Rigid and they have never heard of this problem!

The service manager from Vestal GMC in Kernersville, NC just called me and said they have in fact fixed the rear camera issue. He said GM just put out a "PI" on this issue. There is a software update he said he had to do which will resolve this issue. If your local service tech does not find the same information, have him call Jeff at Vestal GMC. 336-996-5780.

If your truck hasn't thrown this error, it may just be a matter of time. It took mine over a month to show this error so many people are seeing. At least now there is a fix for it.

Hope this helps.

What is a "PI"? My truck is doing this and am taking it in again on Monday. It is intermittent and never does it while at the dealer so they tell me they cannot recreate it. I figure I will take it in every week until they get sick of me!

• I have started to get this issue when the weather is warmer. in the morning camera works fine and also in the evening after the sun is going down. not sure if it is a coincidence or something to do with the temperature. I took it to the dealer once and was told that it was a connector (dealer installed a linex bed liner). if anyone else might have this problem please let me know.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 2017 Silverado and I have got the same service rearview system error message as well.  I was also having a problem with the camera where everything was fuzzy and out of focus.  First time I had it in they said the human interface module was going bad so they replaced that.  it took care of the error message but the camera was still fuzzy and out of focus.  service tech told me he thought there could be some corrosion or the lens was scratched up and that is why it looked that way.  I've only had the truck a bit over a year and am very careful with the lens so don't understand that at all.  They did take it back in since its still under the bumper to bumper warranty and they ended up replacing the camera saying it was all fogged up on the inside and that made it 100% better.  Since then the camera has done what looks like little flips and last night I got the same service rear view system error message again.  It's very frustrating to have to keep bringing the truck back to the dealer.  I got the truck to use it, not keep driving it back for service and I have a camping trip coming up Memorial Day weekend.  last two times it was in the shop took several days to get fixed so hoping that I get the truck back in time for Memorial Day.  I've always bought GM but beginning to wonder about their quality. 

IMG_9991[1].JPEG

My issue was intermittent, but happened quite often.  The camera was replaced last fall and the tech noted some corrosion around the camera.  I now have 9,900 miles and have had the same problem, but it is very rare.  In fact I have only had the problem a half-dozen times since last fall.  Good luck with your situation.

• 9 months later...

... and it seems the 2019's are not immune to this either.   I've got a whopping 150 miles on it - does it randomly.  Dealer says they need to see it while it does it.

They'd be glad to keep it a week if needed to experience it.  

2019030713381658-IMG_0558-338x450.jpg

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the above condition. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles PRIOR to repair that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

• 11 months later...