1997 GMC Suburban K2500 - A/C button - no light - no A/C

I'm new to this forum and I just acquired a 1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4L for towing and the A/C isn't working.

When I push the A/C button I get no light on the A/C button and nothing from the compressor/clutch. Same in defrost mode with full cold temp setting, nothing from the compressor/clutch.

The other control head knobs & buttons seem to work properly. All A/C fuses are ok.

Any pointers from folks knowledgeable with these A/C systems very much appreciated.
Marty

My main question here is, does no light on the A/C button mean bad hvac control head? I've read a lot about these going bad. Our '98 Suburban had has many A/C issues over the years, including low pressure, but in all cases the A/C button light did come on when pushed. Thanks.

Had a similar situation recently....the A/C light wouldn't come on but the A/C still worked.I pulled the control panel out of the dash and started wiggling wires.In a few seconds the light came on.I used it that way for a while and eventually went to a pick-a-part and replaced the control panel.The rear defogger even works now :thumbs:

Thanks Grampadit.

Glad to hear you experienced problems with the head too. I've read so much about these things going bad in so many different ways that I went ahead and ordered a new one off eBay from a Chevy dealer for a good price.

This will be the first time I've pulled the dash bezel off and I understand that you just start from the top and carefully pull it out off the clips, then put the tilt wheel and gear shift lever in the down position to finish pulling it out. Since you've changed the hvac head on the same model type, do you think there would be enough play once the bezel is out to change the hvac head without disconnecting the light switch and 4x4 switches? Mine has barn doors so no lift gate or rear wiper switches up higher (those 3 vertical spots are empty).

Remove the switches,they're not that hard to do and will make it much easier to replace the HVAC control module with the bezel out of the way.Good Luck.

Oh,and be sure to chock the rear wheels & have the E brake on..Put the key in run position,put the gearshift in low(1),turn the key off,tilt the steering wheel to the lowest position.

Since yours is a '97 it may look a little different....

DSC02623.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

DSC02618.jpg

Thanks, and one thing I'm not sure of. I didn't understand when you said

"Put the key in run position,put the gearshift in low(1),turn the key off,..."

Is the key put in run position just for the gearshift change, and then turned off?

Is the key put in run position just for the gearshift change, and then turned off?

.Yes,once you step on the brake pedal to take it out of Park put it in low gear and put the steering wheel in the lowest position....that will allow you to remove the bezel.You may have to pull a little on the bezel,on mine it seems to hang up some at the top,just pull a little,it will come out.

Yes,to take it out of Park you need to turn the key on and step on the brake pedal,then drop it into low and put the steering wheel in the lowest position and turn the key off(to not run the battery down).The bezel will come out,might have to pull on it a little,it might hang up at the top,mine does.

Many thanks and I'll report back when the new head comes and I try the swap.

Books say to remove battery ground cable but I think I've seen youtube videos where it is done with battery still hooked up?

Many thanks and I'll report back when the new head comes and I try the swap.

Books say to remove battery ground cable but I think I've seen youtube videos where it is done with battery still hooked up?

Thanks Grampadirt,and sorry for the double post. It didn't show up so I thought I didn't click the post button. Learning curve, I'll wait a while next time. Thanks again and I'll report back.

Thanks Grampadirt,and sorry for the double post. It didn't show up so I thought I didn't click the post button. Learning curve, I'll wait a while next time. Thanks again and I'll report back.

If nothing happens, refresh the page

Archived