Steering wheel clicking?

So I just started noticing this in the past week but while driving when I turn my steering wheel more than a quarter turn in either direction it makes a very faint click. There is no rhythm to it, just random clicks back and fourth. Then I was thinking about it and my dad's 2010 Honda Accord started making the same noise (just a little louder) about a year ago. It's weird, sort of like something is barely rubbing when the wheel turns inside the cabin. Only happens while driving too, if I just sit in park and move the wheel all the way right or left it doesn't make the click. I'm going in this weekend for the rear window recall so I will let them know, but has anyone heard this?

Thanks,

Drew

The only steering wheel rubbing I had in the past was on a non GM vehicle related to plastic steering wheel hub rubbing against stationary dash part. It was very faint and it would come and go, depending on temperature. Take a close look if that is the case here.

Edited by pm26

Hi Drew,

I understand that you are experiencing clicking noises when you turn your steering wheel. I am glad to hear that you are going to get this concern looked at when you take your vehicle in for the rear window recall. If you would like, can you please follow up with us about your dealership visit? Also, if you have any other concerns, we will be happy to assist you!

Kristen A.

GM Customer Care

Drew... yes, I had this exact same thing happen after the dealer replaced my steering wheel ( unrelated finishing issue with the wheel)

Basically they had to go back, remove the wheel , and behind the wheel they said there was tab of some sort that wasn't clip in all the way.

Drew... yes, I had this exact same thing happen after the dealer replaced my steering wheel ( unrelated finishing issue with the wheel)

Basically they had to go back, remove the wheel , and behind the wheel they said there was tab of some sort that wasn't clip in all the way.

Crud... did you notice it constantly or louder with different temperatures?

• 1 month later...

So I just started noticing this in the past week but while driving when I turn my steering wheel more than a quarter turn in either direction it makes a very faint click. There is no rhythm to it, just random clicks back and fourth. Then I was thinking about it and my dad's 2010 Honda Accord started making the same noise (just a little louder) about a year ago. It's weird, sort of like something is barely rubbing when the wheel turns inside the cabin. Only happens while driving too, if I just sit in park and move the wheel all the way right or left it doesn't make the click. I'm going in this weekend for the rear window recall so I will let them know, but has anyone heard this?

Thanks,

Drew

What was the issue? Mine does the same thing. Very faint clicks while turning. Can only hear it at low speeds with cab sealed up and radio off. Noise doesn't bother me, just concerned about reliability down the road. kind of weird????

What was the issue? Mine does the same thing. Very faint clicks while turning. Can only hear it at low speeds with cab sealed up and radio off. Noise doesn't bother me, just concerned about reliability down the road. kind of weird????

I brought it into the dealer and couldnt mimic the sound. It only does it when its freezing in the morning which blows my mind away because my dads car does it constantly in Florida.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey guys my 14 Sierra did this and dealer fixed it. I can let you know the codes little later today if need be.?Actually they fixed it first time and it came back again after 1 month, dealer fixing again. Something with steering gear if I recall.

By the way for me it would only come on when truck was driven for a few hours that day. When hot essentially , never cold or when used to run a few short errands. It's like the moment you hear it , you have to take it to dealer. The video should also be good enough.

Edited by f8l vnm