Steering wheel clicking?

My clicking noise seemed to be further down the column. Not at the steering wheel. After a long wait, 6 weeks, the new steering rack came in. Fixed the problem so far. Seems to be a new part number.

I came across the forum searching on this issue. Seems to be more than an isolated issue.

I've had the same thing on my truck twice now. The faint clicking noise most noticeable while turning left.

Once at 11K miles and and now at 40K. Both times dealer is replacing the rack. Fortunately under warranty both times.

post-163589-0-92889400-1475684633_thumb.jpg

folks take off your levels and see if the noise comes back. Im willing to bet anyone , its the level .

It could be that the leveling kit causes issues with the current steering rack. But General Motors has read design the steering rack. New part number, that is why mine was on backorder for so long. This is the fix

• 2 weeks later...

It could be that the leveling kit causes issues with the current steering rack. But General Motors has read design the steering rack. New part number, that is why mine was on backorder for so long. This is the fix

Ed,

Do you have the part number for this new steering rack? Dealer also mentioned that noise may be due to the EPS working harder due to the level and bigger tires. At this point anything is possible, but mine does feel more steering gear based. Although after trying to identify this issue from all different angles, I could just be reaching at this point.

Edited by smatti

Ed,

Do you have the part number for this new steering rack? Dealer also mentioned that noise may be due to the EPS working harder due to the level and bigger tires. At this point anything is possible, but mine does feel more steering gear based. Although after trying to identify this issue from all different angles, I could just be reaching at this point.

I believe the part number is 84101460.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys. I also have a 2014 SIlverado and just wanted to tell you what i had going on. I installed a leveling kit (2" rough country up front) and had it aligned and it started clicking right away. I took it to the dealer and they heard it and installed a new lower bearing. It wasn't 2 hours and it started again. It only does it when the truck gets warm on a hot day or driving a while. I took the truck back and they installed a new intermediate steering shaft said it was binding. Again not a day goes by and i hear the same noise. I called and they wanted to keep it and drive it to figure it out. They had it a week and ended up replacing the Column and sensor along with some kind of new clip and upper bearing. The last time i dropped it off i had taken post from the forum and a few of the guys invoices saying that the rack was the issue. A day later it started again. I took the leveling kit off and it still did it when i pulled out of the garage. I contacted the dealer and he said he thinks were chasing 2 different sounds (which were not because one guy heard it clearly when i took him for a ride) but they said when it acts up again to drive it straight there and show them. So i think i am going to leave it off because it has just created a hassle which it should not affect the truck as it did but iam curious to see if it will do it again so i can get it to the dealer but iam also hoping it doesn't so i can forget about it. What a pain in the A$$

Bought a used 2015 Sierra SLT Z71 5.3 with a 2.5" Leveling Kit and 35s. I didn't have any issues for about 1,000 miles then the clicking started. Only when warm and I only notice it in parking lot or slow speeds, mainly because of the loud road noise.

I'm curious if I can still get any of this under warranty or a recall yet? Has anyone had any steering failures? I've been driving with it for about 1,500 miles, because I haven't had time to go by a dealership. Truck has 48,500 miles on it.

• 2 months later...

I went back to the dealership seven times for the steering wheel clicking and I got fed up with it and I did end up trading it in on a 2016 F150. 10000 kilometers and six months not one issue and so much more fun to drive. It actually feels like a truck. I really believe that GM programs their trucks to be sluggish

Edited by SAKO79

• 4 weeks later...

So no one knows the fix to this? I have the same faint clicking as the video posted a few pages back. It Is not loud at all and it is not a snappy click, but more of a muffled clicking. Does not do it when truck is cold and it doesn't give any feedback to the wheel.

I am fine with this noise, as long as there is no safety issue coming down the road.

If anyone has made any progress here let me know. Like I said the noise is no issue, I just worry that it may lead to something more.

• 3 weeks later...