Modification Cadence - Exhaust, CAI, Tune

Why'd you go with the 5.3L if you want more power? You're going to spend $2000 in mods, void your warranty, and still not match the power of the $2000 6.2L.

Can't speak for the OP but the 6.2 wasn't even available when I bought my AT and I've said before I don't need it for what I'm doing, I'd personally want a tune/intake for the increase in MPG's, better/smoother/firmer shifting, better throttle response, etc. A tune isn't just about making "more power" sometimes it doesn't even add rwhp, it just makes the truck much more enjoyable to drive. The exhaust I would think is a must from an LT to a Denali because, ahhh, these trucks sound like NOTHING and it's nice to have some rumble.

You can say why not just spend $2000 extra for the 6.2 and I can just ask back, why not just get a 2500HD Crew cab w/ the turbo diesel and drag a Denali 6.2 around the block like it was a pinto, and be into it for the same $$ or less (SLE w/ leather 4x4) but what's the point? Some people just want what they want and then want to polish it off a bit and make it their own. Adding an intake/tune/exhaust is doing just that.

Why I went with a 5.3L vs. a 6.2L could be an entirely different thread in itself. Frankly, the reasons are all pretty obvious. Even if I had gotten the 6.2L, I would still want to add exhaust, CAI, and probably the tune too. The powerplant in this truck is plenty for me, but I want to finish it off with a little more rumble and response. If I want to race anyone I simply fire up my '79 Trans Am with a 7.6L 455. I waste all the gas I need to in that.

I will be doing something very similar to CorvetteOJ: single in, dual out cat back duals, then add the Airaid CAI System.

Still debating some of the variables, such as that 3rd cat, resonator, etc...but I will likely end up looking toward a local performance shop to give me the best final configuration.

Can't speak for the OP but the 6.2 wasn't even available when I bought my AT and I've said before I don't need it for what I'm doing, I'd personally want a tune/intake for the increase in MPG's, better/smoother/firmer shifting, better throttle response, etc. A tune isn't just about making "more power" sometimes it doesn't even add rwhp, it just makes the truck much more enjoyable to drive. The exhaust I would think is a must from an LT to a Denali because, ahhh, these trucks sound like NOTHING and it's nice to have some rumble.

You can say why not just spend $2000 extra for the 6.2 and I can just ask back, why not just get a 2500HD Crew cab w/ the turbo diesel and drag a Denali 6.2 around the block like it was a pinto, and be into it for the same $$ or less (SLE w/ leather 4x4) but what's the point? Some people just want what they want and then want to polish it off a bit and make it their own. Adding an intake/tune/exhaust is doing just that.

One reason I can think of is that here is Alberta, gas is 22 cents per litre or 0.83 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel fuel, and maintenance costs are half of what a diesel is. I sold my dodge cummins diesel,because the new 6.2L will do everything that I needed my diesel to do. Plus I get a new ride!

Why'd you go with the 5.3L if you want more power? You're going to spend $2000 in mods, void your warranty, and still not match the power of the $2000 6.2L.

You could definitely exceed the power of a 6.2L for $2000 if you don't care if you void your warranty. Frankly, this sort of discussion rarely leads anywhere. The OP wants to mod his truck and there is no shame in that. :thumbs:

I agree. But its more like 1500-1700 lbs! So again I ask- is there currently any place in my neck of the woods (new England) that has any idea what they're doing with these new DI 5.3 engines and the 6 speed?

If yes I'd pay for tune, but I'm not dumping $450 into a handheld thing. Felt like I wasted my $$$ w/ the super chips on my 07 silvy. Hell on my 04 GTO the difference in rwhp between going from my diablo sport tune w/ intake/exhaust to getting it custom tuned on a dyno followed up by street time was 12whp- and a lot more in driveability.

Notice the use of "at least" in my statement. :thumbs:

I'm not located near you to be able to give you a reference. However, there are plenty of tuner shops on the east coast tuning Vettes and Camaros that suffer from similar engine controls or features (AFM, DI, torque management). Any of those reputable shops should be able to tune your truck just fine.

Notice the use of "at least" in my statement. :thumbs:

I'm not located near you to be able to give you a reference. However, there are plenty of tuner shops on the east coast tuning Vettes and Camaros that suffer from similar engine controls or features (AFM, DI, torque management). Any of those reputable shops should be able to tune your truck just fine.

I go to Slowhawk in Bridgewater, MA - nasty w/ the GM performance cars, doesn't wanna bother w/ my truck (or his for that matter) I just got my vette back from him he may get around to messing w/ it in the summer but I was wondering if there were any GM truck-specific tuners around.

At the dyno shop right now getting my Corsa sport installed and I'm debating a custom tune.. Should I do it? I just fear down the road having to pay out of pocket if something goes wrong. But with everything I read about ppl that do tune it seems very worth it. Need a lil advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your worried about a tune and replacing parts don't get. Having a really good tuner you won't have to worry about stuff breaking down on you. Tunes really help out in throttle and the transmission mainly in this trucks.

Archived