Radio screen blackout

Happened to me the other day, started truck and threw it in reverse almost immediately, backup camera came on but when put in D screen was totallk blank, HVAC worked, and radio worked w/ steering wheel buttons but none of the media/radio buttons would respond. Shut it off and turned back on, got the "GMC intelllink" red logo on screen, but then went back to blank w/ same response. Shut it back off and went in to grab my takeout, when I came back out and turned it on 10 mins later when back to normal. ALso bluetooth didn't work.

NOT GOOD, happened occasionally on my G8 but that screen was less important. I'm thinking an extended warranty may be in my future, I wanted to keep this truck minimum 7 years 150-175,000 miles, and the thing will be useless as a DD if the engine/tranny runs fine but the electronics are all shot.

You can buy all the extended warranties you want. GM will just say that's the way it is supposed to be, and refuse to fix it. Then one of these GM monitors here will get involved and pretend to do something beside ask for your vin and dealer

• Like 1

That's the problem with GM extended warranty - it's their descretion to use. If the screen works fine for them, not replaced. Or if they say that's normal - not replaced. Or if they can simply say, user error (not that I'm saying it is) - not replaced. Besides, if that 8 inch screen does give out, the aftermarket has already got a replacement/upgrade covered.

Didnt read all the responses but this happened to me and I called OnStar about the issue. They sent some kind of reset signal to the module and it has worked ever since. Not sure if this helps but it was my fix!

Mine has done it once. When I had my music and movies on a sd card that was to slow. Put everything on a faster sd card work never went black again. Have noticed that the screen brightens and dims. Also dash lights don't know if that has to do with brightness outside or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Mine did something similiar, only instead of black out, the screen "scrambled".
I took it to the dealer, they tried to get it ti repeat that problem and had no luck. They did end up finding a software update for the Mylink system, so they loaded that, it hasn't done it since, so i'd guess the update fixed the issue.

OK this is the second time it has done this. I know the dealer will tell me the same thing is that they can't get it to do it. I hope someone can get an answer for some where or some one on this.

This just happened to me a few days ago. Got in the truck and noticed the screens did not light up as normal. Started the truck and the large screen was black and the smaller was very dim. Shut off the truck and restarted it and it has been fine since. I have a punch list going for the dealer when I take it in for an oil change.

Maybe this is the update Kennedy was referring to. Found this on TECHLINK:

Blank Touch Screen after Start-up and in Reverse

January 23, 2014

The infotainment touch screen may be blank after start-up and in Reverse, a rearview camera message may be displayed, and there may be Bluetooth® and navigation system conditions on the following models equipped with radio-infotainment system RPOs IO4, IO5, IO6 or RAO (except with RPO UPF):

• 2014 Silverado 1500 built prior to October 1, 2013

• 2014 Sierra 1500 built prior to October 1, 2013

Some possible Bluetooth conditions include the screen not returning to the Home screen after ending a call, cannot call contact work/mobile number for more than one contact with the same name, and issues concerning speech recognition.

Some navigation conditions include no results found after performing an address search with an incomplete address, the selection of a Point of Interest address delivers a wrong destination position, and the map freezing when panning in the 10k zoom scale.

An updated software calibration has been released to address these conditions.

• 2 years later...

Well, my 3 week old SLT is doing something similar now. Driving today, the screen was repeatedly going black and each time it did it also disconnected my phone from Bluetooth. Half the time when it reconnects the audio from calls is not heard. The other party on the call can hear me. Between that and the front park assist beeping warnings for things that aren't there the love is fading. Have to say I'm glad it's leased cause if this continues I'm going to be happy to see it go.

• 2 months later...

Well, my 3 week old SLT is doing something similar now. Driving today, the screen was repeatedly going black and each time it did it also disconnected my phone from Bluetooth. Half the time when it reconnects the audio from calls is not heard. The other party on the call can hear me. Between that and the front park assist beeping warnings for things that aren't there the love is fading. Have to say I'm glad it's leased cause if this continues I'm going to be happy to see it go.

Another post on this. It was supposed to be fixed in the '16s with a new HMI module, but my '16 screwed up the same way.

Brought mine back by pulling the RaDiO fuse in the passenger fuse bank which hard reboots the head and it has been OK for the past few weeks. Mentioned it to the dealer and that is how they have been correcting the problem.....pulling the battery cable will also erase the tranny programming.

• Like 1