Towing with the 6.2 V8

Thinking of purchasing a travel trailer 9000# GVW to pull behind my 6.2L max towing package Silverado. I know it is well within specs. Anybody towed anything that big with the new 6.2? How did it handle? MPG? Issues?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I am looking at is a bumper pull. Plenty of 5th wheels out there under 12,000# but most have a hitch weight that is too much. RV dealers are pretty much stupid about that. All they look at is the gross weight.

The one I am looking at is a bumper pull. Plenty of 5th wheels out there under 12,000# but most have a hitch weight that is too much. RV dealers are pretty much stupid about that. All they look at is the gross weight.

What is the hitch weight for a fifth wheel on the max tow package? I never looked at that cause I have a bumper pull too.

What is the hitch weight for a fifth wheel on the max tow package? I never looked at that cause I have a bumper pull too.

I think the trailer weight is the same as a bumper pull, the payload is the issue too much weight with a 5th wheel over the rear axle in most cases.

If I ever get my truck and we don't have 3' of snow on the ground I will hook mine up and let you all know how it does. My 28' enclosed race trailer is just over 9900 loaded with my car, quad, tools and fuel.

Thinking of purchasing a travel trailer 9000# GVW to pull behind my 6.2L max towing package Silverado. I know it is well within specs. Anybody towed anything that big with the new 6.2? How did it handle? MPG? Issues?

Pretty much my setup, truck should be here by then end of the month... I'll let you know once I pull it around!

Would love to hear how it works. Based on my truck, 7200# GW, my empty wt as equipped is about 5400. Add myself, the wife, the dog, and some gear and the weght of a 5th wheel hitch and it brings it to about 5900. Thats 1300 below max. I can get a 5th wheel with a dry hitch wt of about 1100#. If I now add water, gas, gear, etc to the trailer, totally 1000#, figuring a hitch wt equal to 15% of the total trailer weight, that adds another 150# to the hitch weight for a total hitch weight of 1250#, putting me 50# under max allowable gross vehicle weight. Most RV dealers dont have a clue. Most "1/2 ton towable" 5th wheels have a dry hitch weight in excess of 1300#, so you really have to be careful and do the math.

How right you are with most RV dealers are clueless - very few of them actually tow what they sell. We must also remember that the tow ratings are with nothing more in the truck than a 150 lb driver. So in the real world you need to subtract all the weight of the passengers and other cargo from the tow rating - and because it is all payload it subtracts from the tounge or pin wts - which then relates back to the overall trailer wt. Most bumper tows are between 10 and 15% of the total TT weight while 5th wheels are between 15 and 25% of the total wt. Something I found out years ago was that the true tow rating should be closer to the Gross Combined Wt Rating less the GVWR of the truck - this takes out the payload factor.

I am taking my 9000lb Gulfstream Gulbreeze trailer in for warranty work on Friday. This will be the first time I tow with my new truck. My old Denali handled towing ok, so I see an improvement based off increased hp and torque numbers.

Will re chime in this weekend.

Will

I am taking my 9000lb Gulfstream Gulbreeze trailer in for warranty work on Friday. This will be the first time I tow with my new truck. My old Denali handled towing ok, so I see an improvement based off increased hp and torque numbers.

Will re chime in this weekend.

Will

Look forward to hearing how she does.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be picking up my crew cab 6.2L with max tow package Monday or Tuesday, and after I get a few miles on it and tow a little bit, I'll give you my impression. I will be towing a race car trailer at about 7,000 lbs, or my travel trailer at about 5,000 lbs. Not sure which will be first. It all depends on how soon I get my truck broken in and the race schedule at that time. I'm going either racing or camping soon!

I'll be picking up my crew cab 6.2L with max tow package Monday or Tuesday, and after I get a few miles on it and tow a little bit, I'll give you my impression. I will be towing a race car trailer at about 7,000 lbs, or my travel trailer at about 5,000 lbs. Not sure which will be first. It all depends on how soon I get my truck broken in and the race schedule at that time. I'm going either racing or camping soon!

6.2 w/ max tow? Pull them both! LOL. Let us know how that works out.

My truck had 300 miles on it. I had a 1700lb pallett in bed of truck and two 1700 lb palletts on a dual axle 16' trailer that prolly weighs around 1500 lbs and also had a 250lb pallett on trailer. Driving from AL to IL running 75mph we got 11.9 and thats running pretty hard!! Pulled great stopped great no complaints!

Archived