Transmissions Issues/Problems

2015 6.2 8 speed z71 here.

Thought Id drop a line here for anyone interested. Ive had my truck at the dealership multiple times for torque converter shudder. It didnt develop a shudder until prob 15k miles. But from day one, the transmission always seemed a bit off. Sloppy shifting, shaking, ect, just weirdness. A few months ago, I had the TC replaced to address the shudder issue, but not a damn thing was fixed. Nothing. So I dropped it off last week following a stent in limp mode one day. Seems as though they hired a trans tech that actually knows what hes doing. He followed GMs recommendations and the shudder was never fixed. So FINALLY, GM agreed to give me a brand new Tranny. I picked my truck up a few hours ago and drove it 30 miles home and it drives like a totally different truck. NO SHUDDER, CRISP SHIFTS, RIGHT GEAR CHOICES.

Just thought Id let you guys know.

• Like 3

Soumds like your old transmission had a bad valve body or something. Mine shudders at wide open throttle when the transmission temp is less than 100 degrees. Once it gets heated up it's great. Glad to hear they got it fixed for you.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

• 5 weeks later...

Might be shooting in the dark here, but is anyone interested in taking some sort of collective action (class action lawsuit, change.org petition, facebook group ... anything)???

I'm kind of at my wit's end with this transmission. I've been told off by dealerships, GM customer care, GM executive office, and now going through the rigamarole of a BBB claim. I was REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping GM would come out with a fix. Hell, I would even be satisfied if they told me that they recognize that there is a problem and they are working on a solution. But at every turn, I am basically being told "It's normal, learn to deal with it."

• Like 1

just shy of 9k miles my clunking/v4 vibration is getting worse truck almost instantly shifts to 4 cyl all the time hot or cold even on hills clunk bad when that happens. my issues started getting worse after the oil change/ air bag recall the dealer did. been to the dealer several times they dont seem to care they blame it on GM's programing and they are waiting for a new "tune" well its been over a yr and no "tune" they basically could careless. the dealer even greased my drive shaft/leaf springs on my 4x4 truck saying they have a TSB for that well if they read the TSB is specifically states not to grease the drive shaft on 4x4 trucks.

The problem is in the Torque Convertor. Had all the same issues on a new 2017. Two dealers told me this was normal. I knew better as I come from an automotive background in the repair industry. Found another dealer and he told me issues with failures on the 6 and 8 speeds. On mine the Torque convertor was eating itself and the pump on the transmission had failed. GM refused to replace the whole transmission and instead changed the Torque Convertor, Pump with Bell Housing assy and flushed everything. Again problem started at 2000 miles.

Might be shooting in the dark here, but is anyone interested in taking some sort of collective action (class action lawsuit, change.org petition, facebook group ... anything)???

I'm kind of at my wit's end with this transmission. I've been told off by dealerships, GM customer care, GM executive office, and now going through the rigamarole of a BBB claim. I was REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping GM would come out with a fix. Hell, I would even be satisfied if they told me that they recognize that there is a problem and they are working on a solution. But at every turn, I am basically being told "It's normal, learn to deal with it."

I'm surprised some attorney somewhere, hasn't already started working on some sort of class-action.... this sort of nonsense we all are being told to accept as NORMAL, is just ridiculous!! Just received a software update on my 6.2 8-speed two weeks ago. There's is a reference in my service invoice " Update TCM and ECM with new CAL's from DOC#4660348". Truck now drives the best it ever has, but won't know for sure if anything has been resolved until I spend a couple thousand miles driving in learn mode.

• Like 2

The problem is in the Torque Convertor. Had all the same issues on a new 2017. Two dealers told me this was normal. I knew better as I come from an automotive background in the repair industry. Found another dealer and he told me issues with failures on the 6 and 8 speeds. On mine the Torque convertor was eating itself and the pump on the transmission had failed. GM refused to replace the whole transmission and instead changed the Torque Convertor, Pump with Bell Housing assy and flushed everything. Again problem started at 2000 miles.

Is yours an 8 speed or 6 speed?

How many miles did you have on it before it went up?

How is it now, after the repair?

Hello TexasRadar,

We recognize your frustration, and apologize that your transmission concerns haven't been fully resolved. We'd like to investigate this matter further for you and work towards possibly addressing your concerns. If this interests you, please private message us your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N. (assisting Jennifer & Kristen)

GM Customer Care

Good luck with this...after 2 or 3 weeks of emailing them back and forth and talking to my dealer they came back with " The truck didn't show any codes and this is normal operation". They just do this on here to make you FEEL like you might be getting somewhere, but in the end "its normal operation"...its like trying to swim in a lake with 40 lbs of rocks in your pockets..not going to work out.

Mine is just 1 year old, and between 20-40 kmph it has shifted so hard it actually knocked the dashcam off my windshield. Stalled and couldn't decide what get it wanted going across 3 lanes of traffic, and the odd time it just doesn't want to come out of 1st when going from a stop sign to accelerate out into traffic. twice now I have had to throw it into neutral and glide to the side of the road. I live on Vancouver Island and sometimes driving 90kph over the mountain on the highway it will SLAM downshift and SLAM back up at random.

Let not forget, 55k$ on a truck and this is NORMAL OPERATION.

Customer care has been a total waste of my time and email. truck still broken, drives like a tank and sounds like a 1972 TDI mercedes when you start it cold.

2 more years and I will trade it in if I don't get in an accident due to lack of acceleration, stalling and the torque converter blowing itself up. Just emailed my dealer two days again AGAIN with concerns...no reply.

I'm with the guy that said "I'm surprised no lawyer has jumped on this with class action"

I'm surprised some attorney somewhere, hasn't already started working on some sort of class-action.... this sort of nonsense we all are being told to accept as NORMAL, is just ridiculous!! Just received a software update on my 6.2 8-speed two weeks ago. There's is a reference in my service invoice " Update TCM and ECM with new CAL's from DOC#4660348". Truck now drives the best it ever has, but won't know for sure if anything has been resolved until I spend a couple thousand miles driving in learn mode.

IF anybody starts a facebook group, class action, or any kind of movement toward GM for this please PM me. I have had my truck looked at at 3 different dealers now, all with same NORMAL OPERATION response. I have NEVER had a vehicle of any kind that shifted and performed this poorly. I have 5.3 in mine. Carry moderate full time weight (I am a cable installer) and drive mostly in the city so it slam shifts or can't decide gears on me several times every day.

One fellow I worked with actually went to arbitration to have his truck bought back off of him for trans issues and bubbling paint from factory...he was successful and now drives a 2016 however his is still slam shifting only when he doesn't warm it up for 5 mins before driving. Customer care was a waste of time.

• Like 1

2015 6.2 8 speed z71 here.

Thought Id drop a line here for anyone interested. Ive had my truck at the dealership multiple times for torque converter shudder. It didnt develop a shudder until prob 15k miles. But from day one, the transmission always seemed a bit off. Sloppy shifting, shaking, ect, just weirdness. A few months ago, I had the TC replaced to address the shudder issue, but not a damn thing was fixed. Nothing. So I dropped it off last week following a stent in limp mode one day. Seems as though they hired a trans tech that actually knows what hes doing. He followed GMs recommendations and the shudder was never fixed. So FINALLY, GM agreed to give me a brand new Tranny. I picked my truck up a few hours ago and drove it 30 miles home and it drives like a totally different truck. NO SHUDDER, CRISP SHIFTS, RIGHT GEAR CHOICES.

Just thought Id let you guys know.

my dealer won't ever put it on the hoist because they were unable to reproduce the issue. Couldn't care less

my buddy's chevy lt, has 10k on it... at the dealer now with trans failure... they said something came loose in the tranny... .left him on the side of the road pulling a trailer.. they have the trans pulled looking to see what happend.. but huge failure.

IF anybody starts a facebook group, class action, or any kind of movement toward GM for this please PM me. I have had my truck looked at at 3 different dealers now, all with same NORMAL OPERATION response. I have NEVER had a vehicle of any kind that shifted and performed this poorly. I have 5.3 in mine. Carry moderate full time weight (I am a cable installer) and drive mostly in the city so it slam shifts or can't decide gears on me several times every day.

One fellow I worked with actually went to arbitration to have his truck bought back off of him for trans issues and bubbling paint from factory...he was successful and now drives a 2016 however his is still slam shifting only when he doesn't warm it up for 5 mins before driving. Customer care was a waste of time.

I haven’t been on the forum for some time but we do continue to get updates emailed to us on this topic. We no longer own a GM but ours was the 1st model year K series and it was nothing short of a nightmare. These trucks are definitely a buyer beware and you will not get any backend support from GM on these issues. They know what’s happening yet just choose to ignore it.

After repeated trips to our dealer with the same issues and getting sent packing each and every time we decided to start a daily journal of any issue that would arise with our truck.

Here is a link to our journal thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/162450-does-your-2014-do-this/

Please be aware that our problem log gets “very repetitive”, take note of the dates but same issues. It was our goal to log the problems as they would pop up and not just skip over them because we already had them written down. We wanted to show our dealer what we were dealing with on a "daily basis" in our truck. So again, please keep this in mind when looking at our problem log thread linked above. We even took videos of some of the issues to show the dealer, some of the problems even showed themselves on ride-a-longs with a mechanic and they agreed that there were definitely problems. Even with the video proof, mechanic witnessing it in a ride-a-long the same thing happened every time we took it in for repair, “your truck didn’t show any error codes. Sorry, we can’t fix it without a code”. My favorite line from the dealer was “GM doesn’t pay us to diagnose your problems”. We took a HUGE loss when GM bought back our defective truck as a lemon and we have a feeling but no proof they lied to us about not knowing they had issues with the K series the entire time.

As far as the verified GM representatives on this forum that want you to privately PM them about your problems, be very warry. In our instance, once the GM representatives on here got involved with our problems. That’s when “several” local GM dealers just flat out refused to take our truck in for repair even though it had an active computer system recall update that needed to be done. Yes, you read that correctly they would not take it in for mandatory warranty repairs. At that point we had to solely rely on the GM rep to set up an appointment for us at an out of the area dealer since our local dealers would no longer help us.

We hope some of you find this information useful.

Edited by 2014LTZ-Z71

This entire process is directed by GM through the DMA, IMO. It may vary by region but they do not want the dealer diagnosing issues-if it isn't broken no fix. I've noticed another thing last 2 years. Dealer does not document most of this anymore. Look at your paperwork and see if the issue they wouldn't fix is written up on your repair order. No documentation and it's more difficult to Lemon Law them. That's why it's very important to document your visit including what you reported and the excuse they gave you. After 3 trips you can start the Buy Back process through the Better Business Bureau or with an attorney. GM then has one more try at repair. I did mine through the BBB and my only regret is not taking cash that they offered initially. My new truck is pretty solid but it's the same F'n GM and dealer network.

I have reached out to Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro (www.hbsslaw.com) for assistance regarding the transmission issue. According to their website they are a "consumer-rights law firm that settled the largest auto defect lawsuit in history, represents owners of GM-branded vehicles in a national class-action lawsuit seeking compensation, statutory penalties and punitive damages against GM on behalf of owners of millions of vehicles affected by safety defects and recalls."

I will follow-up when I hear back from them. In the meantime, I am looking for a way to capture support. I figure a law firm will be more likely to jump on this issue if they knew a lot of people were affected. I'm leaning toward a facebook group as we will need to keep everyone updated. Also prevents anyone from having to collect everyone's personal information. Downside is that not everyone has facebook. If you have any other ideas, please let me know,