Transmissions Issues/Problems

I've got 8800 miles on mine, transmission shifting is one reason I am getting it tuned, that along with the poor acceleration and torque management.

I chose to go with Lew from Diablew tunes, I should be much happier come Friday.

Mike

While driving on the highway today had a similar situation to the what the very first post of the topic had. Was slowing down going about 55 and then accelerated rapidly to get around the car. The trucks transmission sounded like it was going to come thru the floorboard. A tremendous "thunk" sound and then the truck took off like a rocket. It does seem to not be able find the right gear. My guess is that because I was cruising at 55 the truck was on V4 and when I accelerated it had to adjust to engaging the V6 and dropping down a few gears.

Edited by Sgtusmc

I notice a hard shift when downshifting into second. no clunk or thunk heard...but you can feel it for sure. Does this problem get worse over time? Because to be honest with all the issues out there on these trucks and with the issues I've had...if my tranny is going to have problems I want that bitch to be a catastrophic failure so there are no guessing games of what's wrong...I'm sick of this shit from GM products.

just rolled 8800 miles and still having this issue......

Did you ever take it in and get it looked at?

In the Dmax/Allison forums, some have reported transmissions that did require poor shifting solenoids or other hard parts to be changed to correct shifting issues. Not every shift harshness issue can be corrected by the software adaptive learning process.

Hello TexasRadar,

We recognize your frustration, and apologize that your transmission concerns haven't been fully resolved. We'd like to investigate this matter further for you and work towards possibly addressing your concerns. If this interests you, please private message us your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N. (assisting Jennifer & Kristen)

GM Customer Care

I heard that the Dealer had to buy some ones truck back because the problem couldn't be rectified. Will this be the case for most of our trucks?

Has anyone noticed if you let off the gas the truck acts likes it still under power and doesn't start to decelerate for "awhile".

Yes, I'm having multiple issues with 4000 miles. Sometimes when I let up on the gas, it will act like it has a mind of it's own and tries to take off like the gas is being punched, for a couple seconds and then back off again. This happens at various speeds and in various gears. Sometimes the shift from 1 to 2 is like being hit from behind. Some times while just driving along at around 45-55, in higher gears, it will act like a hard shift has just happened as it lurches forward or feels like I am at the end of a bunge strap and being pulled from behind, more like a parachute has been deployed. I mentioned it to the dealer and I was told it was the transmission searching for the best mpg and it was normal. I was told this while in the service writers reception area and the truck was never started or driven.

On 2/9/14 you sent GM Customer Service on this site a P.M. after their offer of assistance, did you actually receive anything of value from them?

Edited by rvj

On 2/9/14 you sent GM Customer Service on this site a P.M. after their offer of assistance, did you actually receive anything of value from them?

Yes, the owner of a local dealership actually called me on my cell from his cell.

Yes, the owner of a local dealership actually called me on my cell from his cell.

Sounds like your truck was taken care of, do you know what was done to make it run like it should run?

Same with my truck. One instance I was in the turning lane slowing down with brake slightly waiting for a car nine left lane to pass so I could pull into said lane, but, as the car passed I took my foot off the brake and hit the gas to get in the flow of traffic and the truck did nothing, I mean nothing. Like the truck was engulfed in a stupid confusion, it sat there while I pressed the gas pedal further and further getting pretty worried about the whole new set of cars getting bigger and bigger in my mirrors. I took my foot off gas and pushed back in and it finally roared forward spinning the tires like I was 16 all over again, only this time I was scared...

The transmission has acted up from time to time but a similar incident may have the potential to cause a wreck given the right circumstances.

Wasn't towing anything. Completely stock sierra 5.3 2wd 3:42 gears.

I'm having a similar issue. When pushing the gas the truck almost stalls. Then it hesitates and the tires start spinning

• 2 weeks later...

I took my '14 Silverado 5.3L 6 spd AT 2wd LT in earlier today for same slamming, lack of power, and an incident when I went WOT to complete stop and the damn thing bogged and acted like an old car with a sunken carburetor float, also under "slower acceleration" in traffic uphill at between 25 and 35 mph the trans chatters like it wants to fall out of the truck. Dealer gave me a service bulletin that explained the bogging concern as the trans overriding my input to the accelerator because "it needed more time to downshift itself to 1st gear, and totally blew me off about the trans chattering under certain load conditions. They pretty much gave me the same fuel economy bs as I see most here have heard. One would think all good vehicles would do 2 basic things, go when you "hit the gas" and stop when you hit the breaks. Not trying to crap on this truck, I traded in a 2010 crew cab Sierra for it that I bought at the same dealer which I have been going to for the last 20 plus years. I am however questioning the decision to buy the Silverado. I'm still ticked off at the dealer's answer and non-solution to this trans issue that took them four and a half hours to come up with, however the way it was put to me, "GM told them to respond in this manner to this issue for all of their vehicles equipped with this trans including Camaro and Corvette." I thanked the service manager for saving me another $40k because I was thinking about adding a 2014 SS Camaro to the driveway but knowing it will act the same as the truck I don't want one anymore. I also asked him if I needed to simply " beat the **** out of the powertrain" in order for the service techs to be able to "replicate" the problem, I used to drag race so I know how to kill it. They seemed scared I would give the dealer a bad review, but firm on "there's nothing wrong with the trans just the fuel eco thing that I need to get used to" bs a 7000lb truck with an 8 cylinder engine is not something people who are concerned with fuel economy buy. I bought a truck because I needed a truck and I sure don't need this bs from GM. Yes I vented, I'm pissed, after spending $45k on this truck, I should not have to spend another $500 to $600 on a power programmer to make it run right, for $45k it should be "fly by wire" off the lot. I'll keep watching to see if anyone has gotten a "good fix" to this scary, potentially dangerous issue. I will likewise post if I find a good solution. My mileage 2850, purchased 02/05/2014 from a Las Vegas NV dealer that has been there since 1969. I have owned an 86 Camaro 5.0L, 92 Z28 5.7L , 89 S10 4.3L, 90 Lumina 3.1L, 2010 GMC Sierra 4.8L and this 2014 Silverado, I'm a "GM" kinda guy but this Silverado is quickly turning into a real disappointment might just be an outright pos.

I have 3800 miles with the same rough shifting issue in lower gears, especially in crawlng/coasting traffic at 15-30 mph. Unpredictably it hunts, klunks, and won't accelerate when I get on it. During the exhaust fire recall (at 600 miles!) I mentioned it to the service guy and got the "sorry, no codes. It is still learning." routine. When I take it in for the oil change or 2nd recall (in 4 months!) I will mention it again.

I've never bought an GM vehicle until now and it will be my last unless they do something to help. Sounds like the usual party line BS coming from GM based on the posts here. Hopefully there will be enough complaints that they feel obligated to come up with a new shifting program.

For any GM folks lurking in here, I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks

-Jeff

2014 Sierra 5.3L V8 2WD Crew Cab, 3.42, build date 10/13

I wonder how much of an improvement the 6 speed automatic transmission really is over the old 4 speed. I know the gear ratios are closer, but those other problems that did not exist with the old 4 speed are really annoying. It seems that GM in their quest to squeeze additional MPGs out of these vehicles programmed these transmissions to hesitate under some conditions, and occassionally they go into a wrong gear with a violent thunk.

Edited by pm26