Humming/Whining noise between 40 and 50 MPH?

This is getting nutz. Only 700 miles on the truck, and it's going in for the third time. It's been in the shop more than I have had it!

Sorry to hear that, looks like you have a nice set up there with the 3.73 gears and the 6.2 engine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014 Silverado High Country 4X4 5.3 3.42 rear axle ratio

I recently purchased my truck and noticed shortly after taking delivery a whining sound which seems to be coming from the rear differential. The whine is heard in the 52mph to 62 mph range and most noticeable at 59 mph. The whine is heard on acceleration only. I've read the rear axle and gear oil being used are both new to the truck. Not sure if either is relative to the whining noise. The whine is not extremely loud but is annoying. I'm not anxious to return it to the dealer with only 1600 miles on the truck.

I'm hoping maybe a service bulletin will be issued with a simple fix to the problem.

Looking forward to feedback from others will the same issue.

That sounds like what they are going to do next. After the pinion was replaced, it was different, but not better. Noises all over the speed map now whereas before, it was very specifically at one particular range.

This is getting nutz. Only 700 miles on the truck, and it's going in for the third time. It's been in the shop more than I have had it!

Where did you end up with this? I'm going thru the exact same thing (backlash was checked and adjusted with ring and pinion next on the "lets try this" list).

Well, after much debate with the service manager, and GM, they replaced the COMPLETE rear-end and that seems to have eliminated 95% of the noise. There is a very small amount of noise around 42MPH, but it's barely noticeable and gone by 50MPH. I am considering this to be normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i spoke too soon. The noise was basically gone, but the more miles I drive, the louder it gets. Right now, it sound like it did when i first picked it up. Dealer still insists that this noise is normal, but as I told them, the other vehicle i drove with NHT Max Tow, didn't make these noises, or even anything similar. They explained, that "every vehicle has it's own noises" , but i don't agree that these are normal.

A friend of mine owns a trans/rear-end shop in town so I took it there to get his opinion, and they are telling me that GM changed the gears to 5 tooth from 3, and now they are having issues with them. Long story short, if the noise stays the same, it's likely normal but if it's getting louder, then something is wrong.

I took it to another dealer that also says it's normal, but i don't believe they did a good test drive with it. I am going back on Monday morning to go out with the mechanic and the service manager, so we will see where that goes. I am about ready to start the lemon law process at this point. Just rolled over 2K miles! Does anyone else hear any noises like this whining?

As I posted on March 10th my truck has a whining noise also presumed to be from the rear differential. I have not been to the dealer because at this point it seems the service department will only experiment. If the new rear axle has issues GM needs to issue a service bulletin with corrective action. I replied a few days ago to a quality survey sent from GM about the truck. I responded in detail about the whining noise. My truck whines between 52 to 62 mph with 59 mph the most noticeable but only on acceleration. The whining noise completely goes away when coasting. My truck now has 2400 miles but has whined since day one. I traded an '09 with 50K miles because of an oil consumption issue (1 q.t every 1200 miles=GM claimed it was normal). I hope I have not gone from one problem truck to another. Overall I like the new truck but the whining noise is annoying and has ruined my overall satisfaction of the vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

There is nothing normal about the rear axle whining noise. But I suppose everything is normal to GM if the fix costs too much.

all Clunks and vibrations on the 2014s are "normal" and "operating as designed" few Dealers take the time to even look... and GM corporate isnt going to even acknowledge...

all Clunks and vibrations on the 2014s are "normal" and "operating as designed" few Dealers take the time to even look... and GM corporate isnt going to even acknowledge...

And in case of axle whine, it is the quality built into the truck singing to you. :rolleyes:

As it turns out, after much debate, and going to a new dealer, meeting with a GM engineer, they have decided that it's a bad design in the driveshaft. Apparently, they went from steel to aluminum drive shafts on the 14 which acts like a bell to any noise coming from the rear end. As a result of this, they are redesigning the driveshaft on all 14 trucks to make them quieter and also to work on the vibration issues.

I will keep you all posted...

As it turns out, after much debate, and going to a new dealer, meeting with a GM engineer, they have decided that it's a bad design in the driveshaft. Apparently, they went from steel to aluminum drive shafts on the 14 which acts like a bell to any noise coming from the rear end. As a result of this, they are redesigning the driveshaft on all 14 trucks to make them quieter and also to work on the vibration issues.

I will keep you all posted...

Just so you know, my '06 crew cab Z71 4X4 has a one piece aluminum driveshaft and does not have any vibration or axle whine problems. The aluminum shaft has been used on these trucks for years and is not the root cause of problems. Maybe they changed the design of that aluminum shaft and made it too thin to make it lighter? Which had negative consequences? That I cannot answer.

Who knows, that's what the engineer told me. They were also looking to "tube the shaft", to make it quieter as well. All I know is that it's not right, and whatever they changed, was a bad idea seeing as though they made the cab so quiet now.

I am still picking up a vibration between 70-78 MPH, but i'll deal with that once they replace the shaft to see what changes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived