Truck Is Pulling Both Directions Randomly

SSSilverado23

Question

My wifes 2004 Silverado 1500 is pulling to the right and left and random times. You will be driving and next thing you know its like someone grabs the steering wheel and turns it a quarter turn in either direction. Can scare you a bit sometimes. There is not other symptoms or noises going on. Any help would be appreciated!

Did you ever figure out what the issue was with the truck? My 2012 Sierra just started doing the same thing this weekend. 7 weeks ago I put in 2" spacers to level the truck. In the process I had to replace both upper control arms. I took the tuck in for an alignment and they replaced the ball joints on the lower control arms. Now $800 later and maybe 300 miles my truck is jerking left during hard braking or right during acceleration. When I say jerk I mean puts me in the other lane or almost off the shoulder. The only other time jerk was when I hit the first set of rumble strips coming to a stop sign (before I began to brake)....almost like something jostled and caused the same jerk that put me well over the center line.

Checking to see if anyone has ideas or a known cause so I can get to the root of the problem right away rather than have a shop guess and come away only with hundreds of dollars spent with no solution. This is my weekend vehicle for the most part so it hasn't been used a lot since the alignment and surely hasn't been abused.

Usually, if everything in the front end is mechanically sound, pulling like that can be caused by either too much toe-in or toe-out - I forget which. The tires will tend to follow the crown of the road, sending the front end all over the place if it's not set right. It's even worse if you have wide tires.

Out of curiosity, were there any wheel sensor specific codes, or just generic Stabilitrac?

Also wanted to say it's too bad so many original posters leave us hanging. Another missed opportunity to learn.

I only had the Service Stabilatrac and Brake warnings. Only item replaced was right rear speed sensor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thats good to know. It is pretty dang sloppy. I also noticed though that when I hit the brakes, it pulls hard to the right. So Im not sure if they are related since it goes both directions when I drive it, but when i hit the breaks is just the right. Im learning on the fly because I never drive this truck. Its my wifes.

Might have some brake issues too. Seems like the calipers on these newer models don't last like they used to. If they sit any length of time, they all seem to begin sticking the minute you start driving it again. By newer I mean anything after '96. YMMV ...

Can't hurt to lube up those caliper pins & inspect the pads/rotors.

Might have some brake issues too. Seems like the calipers on these newer models don't last like they used to. If they sit any length of time, they all seem to begin sticking the minute you start driving it again. By newer I mean anything after '96. YMMV ...

Can't hurt to lube up those caliper pins & inspect the pads/rotors.

Im starting to think its solely a brake issue. She told me it was fine today then we she pulled off the hwy going to work she hit the brakes pretty hard amd it yanked her almost back into the other lane. Sticking calaper or maybe a clogged up line?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I have no warning or codes that come up. It doesn't happen all the time but the Traction control and Stabilitrack will automatically go to OFF and I cant switch them back one. Then they are fine the next time I drive it. I have been driving it small amounts to diagnose it more. Rotating the tires didn't do anything for me.

It sounds more like a tire issue, you can't see a broken belt inside the tire they look brand new does not work, I have had BRAND NEW tires that had problems. I would not let my wife drive it unless I had a lot of good insurance on her and the truck. :jester:

Archived