How low on fuel have you gone?

PaulM

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The low light was on, remote started the truck at the pool hall, forgot that i remote started it, truck shut off, started it back up and made it to the gas station. 26.2gallons

Not true at all. In my 1996 Silverado I ran the tank dry a couple of times. Each time it filled back up with 25.5 to 26 gallons.

My 2003 yukon LOW fuel warning comes on with 50 miles remaining based on last 50(?) miles average fuel economy. Same thing with the new truck, but it still displays miles to empty until 25 miles I believe.

My fuel measurement are for a long bed tank.

The fuel was measured, when replacing the fuel pump.

4 gallons of fuel, was left, refilled to tank, driven to a gas station, and filled 34 gallons, 38 total gallons, not topped off.

Hey Guys I typically go ahead and fill up at anything below 1/4 tank. I also do not ever add another drop after the pump kicks off. I had a 2009 that developed a bad tank evap solenoid the only cause that I could find was that when you overfilled the tank it ran into this vent solenoid evaporator thing mounted just outside the gas tank on the frame rail and apparently the fuel corroded the valve which caused it to seize and then you get a check engine light and your remote start does not work. I used to fill my gas tank till I could see it in the fuel neck so i did not have to make as many stops. I never do that anymore after that learning experience. Not sure how they have the 2014's set up since they have direct injection? Might not be an issue now.

Mine shows low fuel between 35-40 miles left.

I filled up once with 25.XX gallons but that was not on purpose; just the situation I was in. I would say on average I'm filling up between 18-21 gallons.

I have always ran my vehicles to almost empty on every tank. I'v always known the problems that can arise from it but I've never had any problems. Maybe I'll start changing my habits though

Filled mine for the first time today just a tick over 21 gallons it was showing 40 miles left on the DIC. Little disappointing so far on the mileage but I am sure my driving habits (its hard to keep your foot out of the 6.2s power) have something to do with it. It is also cold around here so I have had a bunch of remote starts.

Craig

On my 11 it would go to low below 30 miles to empty I live 3 miles from work and another 3 to the gas station and I was trying to make it 3 days to payday I ran out on the last day so that was roughly 15-18 miles. Don't know about the new truck I keep it above half now as money isn't the issue it once was. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure they would have changed the way the 14s read Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Question for those with the Denali gauge cluster......

Since ours is a digital gas gauge, are you finding the low fuel warning is coming on prematurely?

As shown in my post above, I averaged 20.8 MPG coming back from San Diego and the low fuel light came on when I was approximately 10 miles from my house.

I searched through the Denali manual, but didn't see anything stating how much fuel is left when the low fuel warning light comes on. I heard someone mention 2 gallons, which at my MPG level, would mean I had nearly 42 miles of range left. When the light first came on, it did state a range of 56 miles, then gradually went down, until it just stated fuel range "low".

How it went from 42 mile range to low is beyond me. What is low supposed to mean? 5 miles? 10 miles?

So here I am coasting to my driveway thinking I could run out of gas at any second and long story short, I put gas the next day and it only takes 23.XX gallons

So that tells me I had 2 gallons and change in my tank. Here I was thinking I would run out.

The reason this is such a big deal to me is because I will be making this roundtrip to San Diego quite often in the near future and it is exactly 458 miles door to door for me (and I HATE HATE HATE to stop on road trips, literally will not stop if I'm by myself). Simple math tells us a 26 gallon tank @ at least 20 MPG (which I averaged to and from) should net me a range of 520 miles. Yet as shown above, my trip meter read 465 miles on the return trip with the low fuel level warning triggering and the range stating just "LOW".

So am I to believe I still had a range of 55 miles even when the fuel range stated low? Based on the exact math, that's what the range should have been.

I can beat that story! A few years back I had a 96 Tacoma. We were pulling a small camper back home from yellow stone park. We were in the middle of Wyoming on a Sunday and needed gas. The GPS said a station was ahead in 30 miles and the low fuel light was on. So we stop to find the station is out of business!

Crap! Next station is another 30 miles down the road. So I drafted a semi truck doing 55 and just as I had my exit in sight it ran dry!

I coasted up the off ramp, blew the stop sign and made a right turn, coasted down the hill. All the pumps were full and just as I approached, a car pulled away and I rolled right up to the pump! Talk about cutting it close!

My wife was not happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for those with the Denali gauge cluster......

Since ours is a digital gas gauge, are you finding the low fuel warning is coming on prematurely?

As shown in my post above, I averaged 20.8 MPG coming back from San Diego and the low fuel light came on when I was approximately 10 miles from my house.

I searched through the Denali manual, but didn't see anything stating how much fuel is left when the low fuel warning light comes on. I heard someone mention 2 gallons, which at my MPG level, would mean I had nearly 42 miles of range left. When the light first came on, it did state a range of 56 miles, then gradually went down, until it just stated fuel range "low".

How it went from 42 mile range to low is beyond me. What is low supposed to mean? 5 miles? 10 miles?

So here I am coasting to my driveway thinking I could run out of gas at any second and long story short, I put gas the next day and it only takes 23.XX gallons

So that tells me I had 2 gallons and change in my tank. Here I was thinking I would run out.

The reason this is such a big deal to me is because I will be making this roundtrip to San Diego quite often in the near future and it is exactly 458 miles door to door for me (and I HATE HATE HATE to stop on road trips, literally will not stop if I'm by myself). Simple math tells us a 26 gallon tank @ at least 20 MPG (which I averaged to and from) should net me a range of 520 miles. Yet as shown above, my trip meter read 465 miles on the return trip with the low fuel level warning triggering and the range stating just "LOW".

So am I to believe I still had a range of 55 miles even when the fuel range stated low? Based on the exact math, that's what the range should have been.

In my non Denali SLE the light will come on with about 40 miles left to go on the readout. It will say low from that point on. There was a story on 20/20 a few years ago about the low fuel light and how much you had left to drive. They had a Dodge mini van IIRC and drove it another 60 miles past when the light came on till it stopped from running out of gas. So the low level lights do come on a little premature. but, you gotta make thing idiot proof for some people these days.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=3989000

In my non Denali SLE the light will come on with about 40 miles left to go on the readout. It will say low from that point on. There was a story on 20/20 a few years ago about the low fuel light and how much you had left to drive. They had a Dodge mini van IIRC and drove it another 60 miles past when the light came on till it stopped from running out of gas. So the low level lights do come on a little premature. but, you gotta make thing idiot proof for some people these days.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=3989000

Thanks for the reply.

I kinda figured it was a 2-3 gallon reserve.

Like I said, I was at 465 miles on my trip and the math just didn't add up. 20 MPG with a 26 gallon tank should have net me 520 miles, thus I felt the low fuel warning came on way too soon. Either that or I really had another 55 miles of fuel left. When I filled up, it was just over 23 gallons, so that convinced me I had 2.** gallons of fuel left in my tank.

One thing I miss is the actual physical gas guage, it's all digital on the Denali's and it sure seems off so far.

Further than I intended!, and well past the point where the remaining mileage indicator display changed to reading LOW FUEL for likely another 20 miles before I found a gas station. Not a good feeling but reality as some remote locations here in Alaska can leave one thirsty.

As I recall, took 25.6 gals or thereabouts to top it back up which would imply I was running on +/- 0.4 gals.

Archived