Tailgate Removal

mbrand

I need to remove the tailgate off of my 2014 SLT All Terrain. I've called the dealership (after reading the entire manual and a lot of searching on the internet). The dealership has never done it and found some instructions on how to disconnect the cables (easy tool less process) and the procedure to lift the gate out of the keyed hinges (right side first, then left side with gate nearly vertical. The issue I have is disconnecting the backup camera. I have yet to find a disconnect on the loom. My next step is lower the spare, but not looking forward to that due to weather. With how easy it is to remove the tailgate itself, I would expect that a quick disconnect is readily accessible. All the information has is a statement to disconnect the camera - not to helpful. I know I could remove the entire panel in the tailgate and probably disconnect at the camera, but since the rest of the process is without tools, there must be an easier way.

I need the answer today so I can load up an ATV to long (wish I'd waited to find the all elusive 6'8" bed in the color scheme, trim level, max tow package... Can't have ATV in bed AND tow the trailer loaded with ATV's and leaving it behind will not be good for my kids attitudes this weekend...

If it's like the last generation there is a plastic panel you open up on the bottom of the tailgate inside the bed. You can disconnect it there and I think there is a clip behind the license plate.

You don't have to remove the spare. Follow that wire around the spare(on the drivers side) and there with be 3 plugs if I remember right. I think it's the green one, unplug it and feed the wire back through. It is a little tricky to unplug, I used a small flat head...

nope you cant disconnect the camera if you take off that big access plate on the inside of the tailgate. and it's not have that plastic piece that the GMT-900's had. you have to disconnect the camera from the rear electrical block where you tail lights and everything plugs into. I guess that is chevy's way of making it harder to steal tailgates??? I took off the access plate to try to disconnect the camera but had no luck. it's one solid wire from the camera to the rear elec. block.

In the owners manual on page 6-76
"Disconnecting the Rear Vision Camera (RVC)

The RVC must be disconnected if the tailgate needs to be removed.

The RVC is disconnected by removing the connector from the electrical juntion box mounted on the left side of the cross member of the vehicle frame. After disconnecting, the cap mounted next to the camera connector mist ne relocated so that the open terminals on the junction block are covered."

Just got back and wanted to thank you all for the assistance. I found the electrical junction box mentioned by thewhitestallion and Kennedy81. Easily removed and back on. The normal 2 hour drive took 5 and half due to heavy snow the entire trip. The truck worked great with a load of teenage boys, their gear and a Honda ATV in the bed, a 20ft flat bed dual axle with electric brakes that weighs 3,500 empty loaded with 2 more Honda ATV's and a John Deere Gator, coolers, the Gator full of fire wood, 2 5 gallon cans of fuel, one of kerosene and other gear. The entire load was close to 7,000lbs on the trailer. Zero problems through the hills, and love how the truck knows to engage hill braking and other system functions (truck has the max tow package). The Nitto Trail Grapplers that are 33's on 20 inch rims really helped.

Next mod is fender flares as the tires just cover the sides of the truck with road slush.

• 3 months later...

Hi I have been trying to get some info on this.....disconnecting the RVC under the truck is time consuming/dirty etc......would it not be possible to splice in a connector right where the cable comes out from the tailgate and back under the truck; clean and quick solution......and leave the frail connection under the truck alone...I sure would like some help on this......sz71

You should be able to do it. You use to be able to buy weather pack connectors at Autozone and Advanced, but I was just looking for the removal tool last week and couldn't find them anymore. You can order something here at http://www.delcity.net/ or maybe find something a marine store. Keep in mind the crimp tool for these are not your normal crimp tools and they are not cheap. Might be cheaper to find a local place that already has everything and can add it real quick for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to sound like such a knob but. I found the connector easily enough but I cant seem to be able to disconnect it. Dont want to force it and break it. I am putting a tailgate seal on and am sure I could do a much better job with the tailgate off. Any tips on how to disconnect that type of connector would be appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Archived