2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

Make sure you do not void your factory warranty.

The guy at the dyno shop verified with GM there are no flash counters in 2014 models. They will start in 2015. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is he getting this from? How was it verified? My service department helped me get around tuning on my old truck and he flat out told me don't do it on the new one. They are mod friendly and they have always been willing to help out the customers with those things.

All 2014 trucks record and show any changes done in the computer. I was asking for my tire/speedometer adjustment and he said that's even recorded. If you want to take the chance more power to you but with 4 recalls already on my truck I'll wait a couple years.

• Like 1

Yeah you all make good valid points.. I just would love to feel the difference with it tuned up and what not. There's so many adjustments they can tweak it's crazy. And under normal dd it would be ideal I think.. But at the end of the day with this being a first year model and potentially having issues down the road I don't think it would be to smart to hack into it. Ugh lol. Guess the positive side is I still have my diesel. I may hold off on the tune and maybe down the road after some more research and development it'll make more sense. The last thing I need is to tune it and have an issue that'll make me come out of pocket for. Thanks for the responses so far it's helping me out I have no doubt the truck could handle the tune.. My main fear is future recalls or anything of the sort and having it tuned will void me qualifying for the fix. I don't think the possible 15-20 hp will be worth thousands of potential dollars out of pocket to fix something connected to the tune. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might ask MotoMedic...I'm pretty sure he had his 5.3 tuned by Black Bear and I believe they told him that GM would be none the wiser if he takes it in for service.

You might ask MotoMedic...I'm pretty sure he had his 5.3 tuned by Black Bear and I believe they told him that GM would be none the wiser if he takes it in for service.

These guys say that dealerships cant see their tune

http://www.diablewtune.com/

There are a couple of guys that post here on the board. I messaged them asking them to explain how they get around this and got no response from either one.

The problem with this is that no one is 110% sure. Yes, you read all kinds of things online stating whether or not a "foot print" is left from the tune. Maybe in the years past.. they know for sure. But the new 2014 model.. still too new for know for sure.

Quoted from an email correspondence with Justin from Blackbear.

"There is history tracking in them just like there is in a number of newer gas platforms as well as Diesel trucks. I don't know what the law is like in Canada, but in the US, the manufacturer cannot void a warranty just because they want to. They can try, but unless they can prove that the modifications made was the cause of a failure, they don't have any footing to stand on. This is the Magnusson Moss act here.

I would also like to note that in gas engines, they've had tracking since 2011 with the 2500 series trucks. We have yet to have any customer have an issue with warranty work. Tuning alone just doesn't stress any component out enough to cause an issue."

For any Canadians reading this, we do not have this act in Canada.

Edited by VMaxtastic
  • Like 3

Tuning is the one area where I think the OEMs have consumers by the balls with respect to warranty. I think any laws favor OEMs with respect to the tunes. Under normal circumstances, yes, they have to prove that the mod led to the failure. That's easy and more clear with suspension lifts, larger tires, power-hungry accessories, etc., but tunes could be added and removed without them knowing. Hence why they added the tracking. And why would they add the tracking if they don't think they could use it against you? They wouldn't. It would be a waste of money and effort.

Don't be fooled, OEMs know that tuners can modify all sorts of parameters that can potentially and very easily damage your engine. And they know that tunes can be removed before service. That's why they implemented the new tracking protocols. I have no doubt that if you get caught with any tune and a powertrain failure that they will blame it on the tune. Knowing that you modified the engine and/or tranny in a way that it was not designed to operate is all the "proof" that they need to void your powertrain warranty. That's the sole reason for adding the tune tracking - warranty protection.

That being said, I would still consider a tune in the future. The main concern right now is with long-term reliability of these new engines and all the TSB/recals that could possibly occur. Give the engines a year or two to see how they last and to let a majority of the problems be worked out. Then if no significant problems, tune away. Or if you don't plan on owning your vehicle for more than a couple of years, tune away. Just do it understanding that there's a very high probablility that your powertrain warranty will be voided in the event of a failure. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Edited by Black03Yukon
  • Like 1

you can run E85 and get a nice little bump in power.

And 20% reduction in fuel economy. For example, a 2007 Impala with the 3.5 liter V6 gets about 17 MPG, a 2004 Ford Explorer 4X4 12 MPG average on this stuff. Both vehicles do at least 20% better with E10.

And 20% reduction in fuel economy. For example, a 2007 Impala with the 3.5 liter V6 gets about 17 MPG, a 2004 Ford Explorer 4X4 12 MPG average on this stuff. Both vehicles do at least 20% better with E10.

Power>fuel economy. At least for me.

There is not a "flash counter" but there is flash history tracking. This is only updated if the ECM thinks that the tune has changed. You can flash the same tune file in 100 times and it will not register it.

Black Bear uses your factory tune file (which you DL with AutoCal and email to them), tweak it, and send back to you. It's the same file just different settings.

• Like 1

There is not a "flash counter" but there is flash history tracking. This is only updated if the ECM thinks that the tune has changed. You can flash the same tune file in 100 times and it will not register it.

Black Bear uses your factory tune file (which you DL with AutoCal and email to them), tweak it, and send back to you. It's the same file just different settings.

Thank you. Should help a lot ppl out on here.

While as said GM just cant void the warranty and by law they have to prove the tune caused the problem. In all reality though who on here has the $$$ to take it to court and win against GM or any other manufacture. That is where the manufactures know they have the consumer as they know none of us can afford to challenge them all the way to court and even if you did they would bring an engineer who would testify on their behalf that your tune pushed the power past the tolerance that the parts were designed for and directly caused the issue.

They know with a Duramax almost instantly, all they have to do is bring up the soot mass log and EGT log. If they really know what they're looking for it's not very hard to pick it out...but do they look on a gasser? I don't know...

I do know it's very easy with a diesel, because usually tuned HD's come in with burnt trannies and turbos lol. Guys try to get away with it but the black box catches the scheme!!

but I don't know with a gas truck if they would look or not....depends on the dealer I bet