2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

Hey guys, I have a 2016 Z71 with the 5.3L motor, it also has Active Fuel Management. I want to get a tuner that will add HP and get rid of the AFM that also can change my shift points what would y'all recommend that isn't extremely pricey

You might want to elaborate on "extremely pricey".

I for one, do not think that BBP is pricey since you have a tune anytime you upgrade (headers, cam, CAI etc) by informing BBP what the upgrade is. They will then send you a tune to take the most advantage of your upgrade.

At approx. $500 or so, it is well worth it...well, at least it was for me. My true dual exhaust was $1,300 and that was a one time upgrade where it will only be useful for my exhaust.

However, with a BBP tune you can use it for as long as you own the truck.

Now I'm sure there may be less costly tunes, but I do not know what they do or how they work...maybe someone that has another tune can chime in for you, but it would be best to start with elaborating "extremely pricely".

You might want to elaborate on "extremely pricey".

I for one, do not think that BBP is pricey since you have a tune anytime you upgrade (headers, cam, CAI etc) by informing BBP what the upgrade is. They will then send you a tune to take the most advantage of your upgrade.

At approx. $500 or so, it is well worth it...well, at least it was for me. My true dual exhaust was $1,300 and that was a one time upgrade where it will only be useful for my exhaust.

However, with a BBP tune you can use it for as long as you own the truck.

Now I'm sure there may be less costly tunes, but I do not know what they do or how they work...maybe someone that has another tune can chime in for you, but it would be best to start with elaborating "extremely pricely".

I believe I elaborated enough by saying "Extremely pricey" I want to get rid of the AFM add HP and change the shift points and don't really want to spend $500 doing it. all I've done is the exhaust, I went with a Borla Pro XS muffler and 2 4' black chrome Borla tips which only cost $600 installed. Don't want to go to extreme just want it to shift better and more HP. and I hate the AFM

I believe I elaborated enough by saying "Extremely pricey" I want to get rid of the AFM add HP and change the shift points and don't really want to spend $500 doing it. all I've done is the exhaust, I went with a Borla Pro XS muffler and 2 4' black chrome Borla tips which only cost $600 installed. Don't want to go to extreme just want it to shift better and more HP. and I hate the AFM

All right, you just elaborated on "Extremely Pricey"...you apparently do not want to spend $500 to do what you want to do.

With that in mind, you may need to go with a hand held type of tuner, unless BBP can help you without the AutoCal, which I don't think they can.

I also asked BBP to tune my truck to run on E85 at a 30/70% which made the truck more responsive and added HP. It was done at no charge, and I did this 3 months after the original tune. They also did another tune for my tranny because I wanted it a little more aggressive..(read stall) and that as well was at no charge. So the $500 goes a long way especially when you start to add things to your truck. Eventually I may decide to install some headers and have a tune done for that at no charge...I think I've elaborated enough on what BBP can do for $500.

I believe you'll get more bang for your buck with the $500 tune than you will with the installed exhaust system....just saying, but it's your $$$ and decision of what you want to spend to deleted the AFM, add more HP and improved tranny shift points.

Check out Diablo and some of those other hand held tuners, which are good in they're own right and see what they can do for you...I'm sure they cost less than $500.

• Like 1

There are a few options, probably the easiest do it yourself option would be a Diablosport intune2 which costs about $360. That'll allow you to add a little HP and turn off the AFM. This is what I use on my 2014 and have been very happy with it, it did improve my shifting too. They also sell a AFM only device but I think its kinda pricey at about $220 for what it does. Range also sells an AFM only device for I think about $180. Take a look at Diablosports site at the intune2. You may be able to find it a little cheaper from other websites or I do see them come up for sale on here sometimes. BlackBear is also really good but does cost more. Good luck.

Edited by mjj

As for your statement, "Extremely pricey", I only have to say you get what you pay for. I have a "Range" devise that eliminates V4 mode and it is a simple plug in item and no threat to warranty. But that only took care of V4 mode. You can also pull gear selector down and select D4 or D5 and that will eliminate V4 mode and give a slightly better shift response. That does nothing for engine performance.

You can also buy a plug in tuner that has 3 select "canned" tunes for the vehicle. Not much help if you put some add on's but again an improvement over stock many say.

I myself chose to do a custom tun from Black Bear Performance after much reading and learning. They have different tweaks that really help transmission shifts and if you ever add on performance parts, they will adjust the tune for that mod. The trans was my main issue but I can say I did feel a bump in performance... I do NOT have a heavy foot.

It all depends on what you want in the long run. If you are going to be in the truck for some time I would consider getting a tune that can be modified with future add on's, but that is JMO. Good Luck

• Like 2

OK guys I have done some research and read your posts and I have decided to contact BBP for some Info on what they can do for me. it's not all about the cost it's mostly because my truck is new and under warranty and I don't want to do anything that can't be undone if something goes wrong the last thing I want to do is get turned down on a warranty repair because of a tune. But I value all of your opinions so thank you all very much I will keep y'all informed on how it all goes

• 1 month later...

I've got a question?

Getting my truck custom tuned tomorrow from a local reputable tuner. I do have some powertrain warranty left. The tune will stay on the truck when I take it to the dealer.. Will the dealer know right off the bat i tuned it once they hook up the global GM scan deal? Or do they have to go searching for it, if there's an issue? My Service manager seems fine with the tune.. Just want to try to stay under the radar for a while :)

THANKS!

Edited by fjtort2

Just got back from my in person tune with CZIPAR Performance with the 6.0.

So far it's GREAT! Did a mild, tow tune, nothing crazy. The shifting is excellent now. No more lagging or gear hunting. It keeps momentum up with very little effort from gas pedal now. It drops a gear when it needs to, very smooth and crisp. Going to test it with 8,000 load tomorrow. I can't say i feel more power.. Just the power is delivered much better to use the POWER! Very happy so far! GET YOUR truck Custom TUNED!

CZIPAR PERFORMANCE

Running 87/89

$380 For in person tune.

• 2 months later...

what is everyone's experiences with tunes and dealers? i've seen mixed reviews saying some dealers dont care and others will void the warranty.

I personally don't think it is the "dealer" who would void a warrantee. I think that is up to GM and NOT a dealer.

• Like 1

I’ve been a member since early 14, have yet to read a dealer turn down on just a tune on a gas truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with No Tyme,and they (dealer) would have to prove that the tune is responsible for whatever issue you are having.

I just took my truck in for some noise coming from my driver side door (speaker) and they did an update to my truck, not sure what it was...I need to check that out.

Anyway, I talked with BBP and they recommended that I put my truck back to stock tune before taking it in. Then do a read (download) of the stock tune to see what the dealer has updated, and send to BBP. This way BBP can check it out to see if they need to adjust my original tune or not...oh and this is at no additional cost.

I just sent them back my tune on Monday, and am now on a waiting list...they are busy!

I believe it would be GM who would have to prove the tune or aftermarket part caused a problem, NOT the dealer. I believe that dealers are simply employed by GM and don't make decisions on warrantee issues... I could be wrong but most new cars and trucks sitting on lots are not owned by the dealers but by a finance company, holding company etc.

And what I meant about dealers was they are contracted to GM not direct employees.

• 2 weeks later...

New to the site...had a tune installed to deactivate the AFM,and turn the rear O2 sensor off. It was tripping a code after I installed the Kooks long tubes,their "green" catted Y pipe and the 3"exhaust....Oh,....2015 1500 Blackout edition shortbed,5.3...K&N Blackhawk intake....4/6 drop using DJM parts,factory 20" wheels...Continental Extreme Contact DW 275/40ZR-20...want to move the coils up off the valve covers but there are breather hoses going into each cover. Can I relocate these hoses to install some better looking covers?

• 4 months later...
On 6/15/2017 at 12:44 PM, Z71DarkDragon16 said:

Hey guys, I have a 2016 Z71 with the 5.3L motor, it also has Active Fuel Management. I want to get a tuner that will add HP and get rid of the AFM that also can change my shift points what would y'all recommend that isn't extremely pricey

TruXP Tuner from AutoAnything. It does everything you asked for and its $199 now. I have it and i like it.