2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

I got my Predator 2 in today and hooked it up to my 2016 5.3L Z71. I used the 87 octane tune and increased the throttle boost by 10%...man, what a difference.

I don’t know that there is a noticeable increase in power, but the throttle response is worlds better.

Before I’m harangued for going with the non-customizable option...that was a conscious choice. The barrier to entry in that world (both in cost and hassle) is high enough that I know my cheap/lazy self would never follow through with it. Might as well save the $50 over the I3.

I’ll probably play with it a little more as time goes on, but for now I am quite happy with the purchase.

• 2 months later...

i just tuned my truck with a intune i3, what a difference it make, tune so far is

diablotune (i run with 93 octane)

15% trottle boost

dod on

trans firm shift

i love the firm shift for daily driving but the hard shift tune is way more fun (maybe need higher wot rpm shift)

i think what i will do is leave the firm shift on and change the parameter on the tow haul mode for harder shift and higher shift point at wot but how high can i put the pressure to match or to be firmer than the hard shift tune... and what wot max rpm i should put

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2014 at 8:43 AM, hzhardy said:
On 1/15/2014 at 8:38 AM, JeremyLW said:

Having been a general motors technician and a tuner on the side, I can tell you first hand that GM CAN tell if the vehicle has been tuned or not and how many times the ECM has been flashed if they in fact want to know. The average tech at your dealership may not know how, but GM as a corporation can! No matter what anyone says. I've seen it firsthand. Hell, they can even check calibration files through OnStar now!

That is why blackbear recomended getting a different tcm and ecm fir their tune.

Doesn't the pcm marry to the bcm, thereby needing the dealer to remarry them if you swap one or the other out?

1 hour ago, EDL said:

Will one of the devices to eliminate the gas pedal delay void the warranty?

I would think that because they are plug and play there would not be an issue, especially if you unplug it before you go to the dealer. The ECM should not pick up on a plug and play devise.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Rkaroll953 said:

what does blackbear do with your follow up log after tune? ive sent it in but haven't heard a thing? do you usually get a response?

It does take a while. I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a week.

Not sure what they actually do with the file you uploaded to them.

• 3 weeks later...

What is meant by trans firm shift? My shifts at times feel clunky and I don’t see how a “firmer” shift would be desirable. I would think it would need to be smoother.  

Im probably missing something 

18 hours ago, wmadden said:

Anyone use the Diablo Intune i3 on the 6.2 with 8 speed?  Results on shifting?  I've got the 1200-1800 studder and am hoping cutting off AFM and firming up the shift points will get rid of it.

The I3 will not tune the 17 and up 8 speed, nor will any other hand held to date. The I3 will only do a diablo performance tune on the engine and get rid of the top speed governor.  

On 8/17/2018 at 4:28 PM, SILVER SLED said:

The I3 will not tune the 17 and up 8 speed, nor will any other hand held to date. The I3 will only do a diablo performance tune on the engine and get rid of the top speed governor.  

Thanks @SILVER SLED .  Really wanted a handheld to take the truck to stock before taking to a dealer, but I guess custom is the only route at this point if you want to tune the 8 speed?  How has your truck performed with the i3?  Seems like a lot of guys rave about Black Bear, but I've done the custom tune thing before and I don't know if I'm committed enough to wait and work the process it takes to dial in the tunes.  

1 hour ago, wmadden said:

Thanks @SILVER SLED .  Really wanted a handheld to take the truck to stock before taking to a dealer, but I guess custom is the only route at this point if you want to tune the 8 speed?  How has your truck performed with the i3?  Seems like a lot of guys rave about Black Bear, but I've done the custom tune thing before and I don't know if I'm committed enough to wait and work the process it takes to dial in the tunes.  

I feel like my truck runs and shifts real good, even with just the engine tune.  If there is a place nearish to you I'd get a custom tune.  Vectormotorsports is about an hour away from me and they tune the 8 speeds in the vehicle.  That distance would be fine for a tune on a weekend race car but not for my daily driver.  I talked to Vectormotorsports and some that have had engines and 8 speeds tune and they say it makes quite a difference.  I can believe it because at WOT My truck is only showing 21* timing.  Not much at all.  But ultimately my daily driven truck runs pretty good and doesn't shut down at 98 mph. 

Hello, folks.  I am new to this thread and have some questions that I am sure are in the 65 pages of posts, but Im hoping to cut to the chase.  I am considering a tune to help with the sluggishness of the vehicle.  I press the gas pedal and its like the truck has to think about it for a second before it decides to go.  I am assuming a tune can help this:

Questions:

1. Wouldn't a tune a shop on a dyno be more beneficial than any of these mail order tuners?  What is the downside?  Cost?  Adjustability?   My brother-in-law had his done at a performance shop in Houston.  It was about $600.

2.  I read ambiguous comments about an add on device to eliminate gas pedal lag.  What is this.  Is that a physical widget that is separate from the tune?

3.  Can a separate tune be loaded to the Tow/Haul setting to enhance towing?  I find the truck adequate but just, when I tow my 4500 lb RV.  Passing is virtually impossible.  I know you can only ask for so much from a 5.3 half ton but I figure there may be something that might help.

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

1.) If your truck doesn’t have any significant performance mods, the benefit of a custom dyno tune doesn’t seem to be worth the cost since your only squeezing out a little extra power. The more you rely on a tune for power, the less safety margin you have which are built into the stock tune. If, however, your power is derived from another source, the tune acts to optimize/calibrate the engine without the tune being the only mechanism to produce the power. Therefore, your tune can be more conservative and still your producing more power.

2.) Multiple companies make these and they are often a user adjustable setting on the tuning devices that you plug into your OBD port. Superchips makes one and its available on their tuners also.

3.) Short answer is yes. Long answer is you should look into new differential gears before spending tons of money on mods that aren’t going to give the results you want. $1600 out the door is about right and you can pick up a less expensive tuning device (TruXP/Superchips) to reprogram the truck for the new gears without messing with anything else. Gears will give you passing and towing power all the time without any engine modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk