2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

• 3 weeks later...

Any one have an HP Tuners file for a 2016? I've been working on mine for several weeks now and would like to compare mine to another. I'm just wondering what everyone did to lower TM, change shift points, increase power, etc.

From what I've read on the HP Tuner forums, TM should basically be left alone. The general consensuses is that you can mess with shift speeds/RPMs and shift pressures (pressures to a lesser degree) and still keep your transmission from breaking.

• 1 month later...

There's been a lot of speculation whether a Diablosport tune can be detected. According to the box my InTune came in, their tunes can't be detected by the flash counter and leaves no fingerprints. I'll most likely still wait to tune mine until the warranty is out.

300AE23A-CBAC-495C-A889-97DF0087EB3F_zps

• 3 weeks later...

Recently just had black bear performance tune my truck via autocal through emails. Had the tune for a few days now, wasnt really sure what to ask for when i sent the email, ended up telling him i wanted a little more power, firmer shifts and possibly better mpg. But now that i have the tune I'm thinking i should of had him bump it up a bit. I hear a lot of people on here talking about it being a night and day difference on there trucks after the tune. I have 2014 6.2 with a cai and catback exhaust, but i honestly don't know if the tune helped too much. I can slightly tell at light to medium throttle at low rpm, and a slightly firmer shift. Any recomendations to what I should have him adjust if I'm still not completely satisfied with it after a few more days of driving? Also to add I didn't have him disable the afm, but i really don't mind it, had the truck for over 2 years so i am use to it.

• Like 1

Recently just had black bear performance tune my truck via autocal through emails. Had the tune for a few days now, wasnt really sure what to ask for when i sent the email, ended up telling him i wanted a little more power, firmer shifts and possibly better mpg. But now that i have the tune I'm thinking i should of had him bump it up a bit. I hear a lot of people on here talking about it being a night and day difference on there trucks after the tune. I have 2014 6.2 with a cai and catback exhaust, but i honestly don't know if the tune helped too much. I can slightly tell at light to medium throttle at low rpm, and a slightly firmer shift. Any recomendations to what I should have him adjust if I'm still not completely satisfied with it after a few more days of driving? Also to add I didn't have him disable the afm, but i really don't mind it, had the truck for over 2 years so i am use to it.

That's how I felt about mine when I first did it so I just asked him if he could stiffen up the shift some more and he did. there is a difference but nothing to big I felt like I wanted more aggression from the tune even though I want to ask him if he can make it hold the gears a little longer and see as to why when i first take off when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it feels to me as if the transmission slips the truck only has 12k miles and people that said that happened to them said to get the tune to stop it from doing that and it still does it I haven't been able to get it to do it while recording data to send to him i also want to see if the fuel/air mixture is good because when i have the truck on it seems to smell to much like gas weather I'm running E85 or 93 at that i haven't noticed any better fuel millage when running 93 over stock tune if anything its gotten worse and its not the fact that im just stepping on it all the time i just feel bad knowing he has a lot of customers and i keep trying to get him to change mine that why i haven't emailed him in a while. I too would like to see what people have told him to adjust or how to word it the correct way lol

I got an email back from him earlier after he got to looking at my after tune log, and he said that with past experience the tune should of added 25-30 extra hp. So you would think i would be able to notice it. So i guess its possible that most of it is in my head, so hopefully i just need him to firm up the shifts a bit, and i know people have talked about having them removing most of the torque management and such, so I would like to know more about that. I emailed him back asking what all he changed and improved with the tune he sent me, so i am curious to see everything he did to it. They are definitely busy, but thats not a big deal for me, i dont mind waiting now that i have my initial tune done, now just need to tweak it I suppose. Its all a learning experience for me.

Similar thing happened with me.

While Justin was doing the tune in my truck, he asked me if there was anything I wanted and if the tune felt all right. At the time I thought it was all good however, after driving it for a week or so, I wanted the tune to be more aggressive.

So he sent me another TCM tune for the trans with a little more stall...later shifts. It was much better, but I think I still want it to me a little more aggressive, but I haven't sent him another email yet.

I also sent him an email to tune for E85 at 30%, now that made a big difference and I like it very much!

He also removed my AFM at the original tune since I did not care for it, and my gas mileage hasn't decreased any without it.

Justin is busy and as mentioned he does have a lot of emails to cover, but he will eventually get to your email and request....give it a week or so.

I need to do a download of my current tune and send it to him before I request for any more aggressive tuning.

If you're wondering how to word what you want, just say it as it is and he'll ask if he doesn't understand...more aggressive shifts, more torque, later shifts etc.

I need to do a download of my current tune and send it to him before I request for any more aggressive tuning.

If you're wondering how to word what you want, just say it as it is and he'll ask if he doesn't understand...more aggressive shifts, more torque, later shifts etc.

When you did the in person tune, do you remember what all he did for your truck? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the tuning process. That way I'm not asking him to do something he has already done to it and such, save everyone some time. The more I drive my truck after the first tune the more I like it, but once you get a little taste, you always want more haha.

When you did the in person tune, do you remember what all he did for your truck? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the tuning process. That way I'm not asking him to do something he has already done to it and such, save everyone some time. The more I drive my truck after the first tune the more I like it, but once you get a little taste, you always want more haha.

I remember what he did, just not how he did what he did.

He basically did what I asked for...remove the AFM, quicker throttle response, crisper shifts & 93 oct.

I really like the what the trans shifts in trailer mode and with the engine brake off however, Justin mentioned this is on a different computer and he could not change anything there.

I hope that helps.

Similar thing happened with me.

While Justin was doing the tune in my truck, he asked me if there was anything I wanted and if the tune felt all right. At the time I thought it was all good however, after driving it for a week or so, I wanted the tune to be more aggressive.

So he sent me another TCM tune for the trans with a little more stall...later shifts. It was much better, but I think I still want it to me a little more aggressive, but I haven't sent him another email yet.

I also sent him an email to tune for E85 at 30%, now that made a big difference and I like it very much!

He also removed my AFM at the original tune since I did not care for it, and my gas mileage hasn't decreased any without it.

Justin is busy and as mentioned he does have a lot of emails to cover, but he will eventually get to your email and request....give it a week or so.

So what exactly do you mean by tune for e85 at 30%

So what exactly do you mean by tune for e85 at 30%

He tuned my truck to run on 30% E85 and 70% 93 oct.

As you know the truck comes from the dealer tuned to run on 87oct, I at first had him tune my truck for 93, but have since asked him to tune it for E85 at 30%.

I know there's a lot of info saying E85 will ruin your fuel lines and other components however, every vehicle that fills at a gas station is already running at least E10, some are at E15. So my thinking is my fuel lines must be able to handle ethanol even if it's at a higher point.

I'll run a full tank of 93 every now and then, but running with E85 is so much better power wise...only problem is the right foot gets too excited at times!

As for the idle, Justin did try to smooth it out, but it didn't happen and he said sometimes it smooths out and other times it doesn't. With that said my truck has never stalled due to the rough idle, and it hasn't changed any with the 30% use of E85.

He tuned my truck to run on 30% E85 and 70% 93 oct.

As you know the truck comes from the dealer tuned to run on 87oct, I at first had him tune my truck for 93, but have since asked him to tune it for E85 at 30%.

I know there's a lot of info saying E85 will ruin your fuel lines and other components however, every vehicle that fills at a gas station is already running at least E10, some are at E15. So my thinking is my fuel lines must be able to handle ethanol even if it's at a higher point.

I'll run a full tank of 93 every now and then, but running with E85 is so much better power wise...only problem is the right foot gets too excited at times!

As for the idle, Justin did try to smooth it out, but it didn't happen and he said sometimes it smooths out and other times it doesn't. With that said my truck has never stalled due to the rough idle, and it hasn't changed any with the 30% use of E85.

I don't have the Blackbear tune but Diablosport and I've done similar to you on many fillups. That 30%-40% ethanol range seems to be the best of both worlds, you get the increased power feel and your fuel economy does not suffer as much. I'm using their 91+ octane tune and always just mix in regular 87 with E85 to try and equal about 91 octane. With E85 said to be about equal to 100 octane and you using 70% 93 octane aren't you then sitting at about 95 octane? I know the ethanol percentage fluctuates in E85 throughout the year to as low as ~70% ethanol so the math gets a little fuzzier in the winter. Did Justin recommend still using the higher 93 octane when you mix or do you just prefer doing that?

I don't have the Blackbear tune but Diablosport and I've done similar to you on many fillups. That 30%-40% ethanol range seems to be the best of both worlds, you get the increased power feel and your fuel economy does not suffer as much. I'm using their 91+ octane tune and always just mix in regular 87 with E85 to try and equal about 91 octane. With E85 said to be about equal to 100 octane and you using 70% 93 octane aren't you then sitting at about 95 octane? I know the ethanol percentage fluctuates in E85 throughout the year to as low as ~70% ethanol so the math gets a little fuzzier in the winter. Did Justin recommend still using the higher 93 octane when you mix or do you just prefer doing that?

Yes, he did the tune for 30% E85 and 70% 93oct. I don't know what the details of the tune is since the E85 doses fluctuate as you mentioned. However, he did tell me I could go as high as 50% E85 since the tune was done in a "range" and not specific to 30% only.

He originally tuned the truck to run on 93, so that hasn't changed...he basically tuned the truck to get the best of the fuel mixtures.

I must say, the truck is not the same as it was when I drove it off the lot, it is much more responsive and torque/HP feels much better. I didn't do a dyno, so I can't say how much more trq/hp there is, but the seat of my pants says there is an improvement.

I'm not sure how this tune would be with a 2x4 and traction on wet roads. I need to drive in auto 4x4 when it rains or I'll loose traction too easily...I was even thinking of getting some traction bars, but the auto mode seems to take care of the loose rear tires.

So i have a question I hope it's not too stupid but would telling Justin's to make the shifts quicker necessarily mean that the shift will be harder/stiffer when I first asked him to adjust the first tune I asked if he could stiffen them up made a difference but it mainly seemed to affect it when I'm flooring it so I was thinking maybe if i ask him to make the shifts quicker it would fix some of my shits during light throttle they still seem to be a little sloppy still.