Z71 - Actual meaning? Additions? Differences?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Z71 is just the Rpo for the Off Road suspension. Just like Z60 is performance suspension, z85 is towing suspension. Basically z71 is shocks, skid plates, and stickers

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Probably firmer shocks, stiffer sway bars. Maybe a highway tire instead of the AT you get on a Z71. I don't know that Z60 is offered on the new trucks, can't say I've seen it but I only look at 4x4 models.

I have Z60 on my 4x4 Denali. On the 2014s the Z71 package only adds Hill Decent, Rancho shocks, AT tires, larger stabilizer bar, and a few trim and stickers. All 4x4s now have skid plates, and I didn't want the stiffer ride, so I didn't get the Z71.

You also get a heavy duty air cleaner in a Z 71 along with aluminum front end parts. My Texas Edition 4x4 does not have skid plates and aluminum front end parts but my Z 71 has them. I actually prefer the ride of the Z 71 verse the Texas Edtion 4x4.

what does ZR1 mean? ZL1? LTZ? Just name badges that GM uses to designate certain models.

Not name badges, at least not directly. All those codes are RPO- regular production option codes. The three digit alphanumeric codes can tell you what options are on a vehicle. Codes that start with Z are generally suspension, L is usually the motor, M is transmission and G is related to the axles. That's all I know offhand.

I ordered the standard Z60 for my truck over the Z71 because I have driven in both..The Z71 rides just a little rougher mainly because of the shocks. I was wondering if anyone has the gm part numbers for Z71 sway bars? I figured that would be a nice upgrade minus the rough ride over Z71.

From a few years ago the LT trim package was for Luxury Touring and LS was for Luxury Sport - even in the cars. Yes all of the Z badges came from suspension package RPO codes I think it all starts with the Z28 in the Camaro - there was also a Z14 for the Caviler and of course the Z71 for the trucks.

Here is what you get with the Z71 from what I have learned.

Hill Descent Control

High-capacity air cleaner

Underbody transfer case shield protection

Monotube Rancho® shocks

Off-road jounce bumpers

EATON® HEAVY-DUTY automatic locking rear differential

Recovery hooks

I wanted the locking rear, so that steered me towards the Z71 equipment.

For the Silverado, the Locking Rear is standard on all Z71 regardless of trim, but it is also standard on all LTZ and High Country's too as it comes with the trailering package. For the Sierra it is Standard on SLT models. Included on SLE models with All-Terrain Package, Texas SLE Value Package and SLE Value Package. So there is a lot of ways to get the locking rear without the Z71 package.

Archived