Free Exhaust Mod!!

I do know the 17 chevys are a lot different with that flapper mine currently has a bolt through it (i had laying around) last time i checked? Not sure if its still there??

I decided to leave that flapper in place when i got my flowmaster put on ($160 muffler+welding) and res delete 

now I wish I would have had them cut the flapper off, truck is a lot better sounding and a little louder at idle,  drone isnt bad on the highway only when i am accelerating in V4 mode. 

I do know the 17 chevys are a lot different with that flapper mine currently has a bolt through it (i had laying around) last time i checked? Not sure if its still there??

I decided to leave that flapper in place when i got my flowmaster put on ($160 muffler+welding) and res delete 

now I wish I would have had them cut the flapper off, truck is a lot better sounding and a little louder at idle,  drone isnt bad on the highway only when i am accelerating in V4 mode. 
It's still not to late you can go back and have them remove it. If they are nice enough people they might not charge you .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

It's still not to late you can go back and have them remove it. If they are nice enough people they might not charge you .

Would be nice. But i had this setup for a long time i think since last November? Last time i tried to get them to clamp my res on in place of flowmaster to see what I thought vs paying money to have it welded then cutoff and flowmaster re welded if I didn’t like it.. they didn’t like the idea of clamps

Would be nice. But i had this setup for a long time i think since last November? Last time i tried to get them to clamp my res on in place of flowmaster to see what I thought vs paying money to have it welded then cutoff and flowmaster re welded if I didn’t like it.. they didn’t like the idea of clamps
I see, when I got my exhaust done i removed flapper and resonator first time around. Only problem now is I want something louder.

I had the flapper valve removed on my wife's 17 the first week we got it. The sound is a deeper tone that she is happy with. If you look at that valve in the pipe even in the open position it is still a big restriction in the system. 

• 2 weeks later...

did they change the design of the flapper on the 17s?  I've see pics of others, such as on page one of this thread, that show a square looking cap tot the spring.  The one on my 17 Sierra Denali is round & can't figure out how others have "bolted" theirs open.  Any pics of the bolt location? 

did they change the design of the flapper on the 17s?  I've see pics of others, such as on page one of this thread, that show a square looking cap tot the spring.  The one on my 17 Sierra Denali is round & can't figure out how others have "bolted" theirs open.  Any pics of the bolt location? 
Yeah I believe they changed it a bit. On the 16 it was behind the muffler and on the 17 it's in front of the muffler.

that's what I thought.  yes, mine is in front of the muffler.  I think I could use a wire to tie it off & keep it open.  However, with it in front of the muffler it may not make much difference.  My issue is that it does rattle a little bit, especially at idle.   

Edited by steve76t

Mine is round as well (2017 5.3, two weeks old).  I tried a little WD40 (helped a little, changed it from a screech to a chirp).  I'm curious how you remove it, since I assume there is a piece inside the pipe?  

I'm always in traffic, so its constantly sounding off, but I could live with it if I had to.  

Mine Chirped bad, dealer replaced the entire exhaust with only 5k miles!  i tried to get them to swap it for my choice, but no go.. I will do a mod soon. curious if anyone has tried just getting rid of the resonator.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:59 AM, FAST380 said:

So does wiring open on the 17's help? This is the first I have read about it, might have to try. 

don't know if it'll help or not.  I'm thinking trying it just to see if there's any difference.

I did mine. 2017 All Terrain with 6.2L. It was the square style after the muffler. Made a difference, a very little difference, but might be just enough for me. For the 2 minutes it took, it isn't worth trying to discribe, just do it and see what you think. Louder on downhill deceleration. Has a little rumble it never had before. Try it.